Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locating Outer Suspension Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
On my project I've got the new inner suspension console welded to the inner long member. I've done some repairs to the outer console and, after some painting and prep, I'm about ready to weld the outer console on. But I don't want to screw this up. Any suggestions on how best to locate it correctly? I've got the trailing arm lightly bolted on to the inner console. One thing I don't have on right now are the shims (there were two when I disassembled it). They're somewhere in one of a dozen boxes, and I probably need to find those and put those on to help locate it, I would assume, correct? Also, very stupid question, but I can't remember - do those shims go on the underside of the trailing arm or in between trailing arm and console?

Click to view attachment
another shot:
Click to view attachment
tomrev
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 20 2015, 11:44 AM) *

On my project I've got the new inner suspension console welded to the inner long member. I've done some repairs to the outer console and, after some painting and prep, I'm about ready to weld the outer console on. But I don't want to screw this up. Any suggestions on how best to locate it correctly? I've got the trailing arm lightly bolted on to the inner console. One thing I don't have on right now are the shims (there were two when I disassembled it). They're somewhere in one of a dozen boxes, and I probably need to find those and put those on to help locate it, I would assume, correct? Also, very stupid question, but I can't remember - do those shims go on the underside of the trailing arm or in between trailing arm and console?

Click to view attachment
another shot:
Click to view attachment

Shims go between the T.A. and console, to increase or decrease camber.
cary
Rob, you might take a look in here. Can't remember if he worked on the outer.
My project isn't any help. The alignment was done with the jig.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...791&hl=dead
r_towle
I would drop a plumb line from the lower firewall on to the floor
Measure from that line to the front cross member (drop another line to the floor.
Make sure your rear firewall and front cross member are parallel.

Then measure back from the firewall line to the driver side outer suspension console location.
Match the drivers side to that.

The shims eventually go between the trailing arm and the suspension console to add more positive camber.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.