Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Took the 327 block and heads to the machine shop last Friday. Took the crank over today, the good news is the heads are not cracked, guides are straight and no warpage. The medium to bad news is the cylinder walls are .006-.009 out at the top. Most ring manufactures recommend boring anything over .007, so I'm having him bore it .030 over. A slight increase in displacemnet, but brings me peace of mind. My fear is the stock hp is 300, between the bore, Wieand intake and Holley 650 carb my ponies will increse to much for the stock 901. Good thing I have extra 901's. biggrin.gif

TravisNeff
That sounds like a rev monster. What kind of cam are you going to run? single or dual plane intake?
914GT
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Mar 14 2005, 05:28 PM)
Took the 327 block and heads to the machine shop last Friday. Took the crank over today, the good news is the heads are not cracked, guides are straight and  no warpage. The medium to bad news is the cylinder walls are .006-.009 out at the top. Most ring manufactures recommend boring anything over .007, so I'm having him bore it .030 over.  A slight increase in displacemnet, but brings me peace of mind. My fear is the stock hp is 300, between the bore, Wieand intake and Holley 650 carb my ponies will increse to much for the stock 901. Good thing I have extra 901's.  :D

I wouldn't worry about the 901 not holding up unless it was marginal to begin with and having shifting problems not associated with the linkage or clutch. That is, don't worry unless you love popping the clutch or doing frequent burnouts in 1st gear. I always hook up and then let it go. Then I'm gone. As I've said before, I have yet to see anyone really claim they've torn out a 901 with a V8 unless it was abused. If your heads are nearly stock, or with just slight pocket porting, and with the carb and intake you have you should be fine. You can use a cam with a little more valve lift and more overlap and improve the high end power. I would not overcam as it will not be as pleasant to drive after awhile, you'll tire of it. I almost would like to try a stock cam in mine.

Edit: also, if you can build those heads with stiffer valve springs you'll get a lot less valve float at high rpms. You should be able to go up to 200 lb springs. Stock springs with hydraulic lifters will float much sooner, otherwise you can go up to around 6000 rpm ok.
Tom73
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Mar 14 2005, 04:28 PM)
Took the 327 block and heads to the machine shop last Friday. Took the crank over today, the good news is the heads are not cracked, guides are straight and no warpage. The medium to bad news is the cylinder walls are .006-.009 out at the top. Most ring manufactures recommend boring anything over .007, so I'm having him bore it .030 over. A slight increase in displacemnet, but brings me peace of mind. My fear is the stock hp is 300, between the bore, Wieand intake and Holley 650 carb my ponies will increse to much for the stock 901. Good thing I have extra 901's. biggrin.gif

I have seen that 300 hp figure for the transmisson thrown around alot but never heard if it is NET HP or GROSS HP. That 327 at 300 hp would be Gross HP. Would be closer to 210-220 hp Net.

So, is that 300 HP mark net or gross?

tom...
1bad914
HP is at the crank, you are correct, HP at the wheels will be much less. The machinist is recommending stronger springs on the heads.

The cam is still a toss up, why will I tire of the hotter cam, to much lope at idle or ...??? I'm not really looking at a big difference, it claims to come on at 2500 to 5000 rpm.

I got used to driving like that when I had my Karmann Ghia with a 150 hp motor and a stock trans, hook up and then put your foot down, I only dumped the clutch on that car once, it wheel hopped so bad that the engine tin bent...it shocked a lot of people, they were amazed that a Ghia could wheel hop.

Give me some ideas on cam specs? I'm looking @ 224/224 @50.

The Wieand Stealth is a dual plane intake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.