Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found "cheap" paint to HVLP spray on my car..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I found a source of "cheap" automotive paint that I can spray on my car....ebay smile.gif $29 bucks a gallon...the problem is that the 2 greens they have are either too dark or too light.....soooo, what if I mix em????

oh yea...think a gallon is enough for the fenders and main doors (no paint on the front and rear lids)

I'd actually like to get a green closer to the new paint job on the fender.........

below are my 2 color choices from ebay....also pictured is my sad attempt at painting smile.gif

user posted image
scotty b
Start with the light and slowly add the dark, mixing inbetween pours until you get it right on. Yes a gallon will be MORE than enough. laugh.gif A half gallon would do a whole car! Let me know how it turns out. I have seen that guys paint before and question the quality, but have been tempted to try it for some "quick buck cars".
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2005, 05:54 PM)
$29 bucks a gallon...

ohmy.gif i paid almost $1000 bucks for 2 gallons of "Guards Red" ...

icon8.gif Andy
McMark
Yeah, Glasurit will do that to ya, Andy. lol2.gif

$29 a gallon scares me. That falls in the too good to be true category for me.

Which means... DO IT! laugh.gif Somebody's got to be the guinea pig. wink.gif
Aaron Cox
black must be even cheaper.... mike, hook me up with the source. i need a gallon or two of black paint wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 14 2005, 06:06 PM)
Yeah, Glasurit will do that to ya, Andy. lol2.gif

$29 a gallon scares me. That falls in the too good to be true category for me.

Which means... DO IT! laugh.gif Somebody's got to be the guinea pig. wink.gif

agree.gif If it takes a crap on you we'll have a Mueller paint fund established biggrin.gif
bondo
You never know the final color of paint until you spray it on something and let it dry.
kkelly
At $29 a gallon you could save money on car washes. If your car got dirty - just repaint it.

Kevin.
914werke
The lighter of the two looks Like Kawasaki's "Mean Greenie" color lol2.gif
GWN7
One looks like Lime green and the other looks like British racing green, if they are from the same manufacture and are the same type of paint you should be able to mix them. Try mixing it by weight to achieve the ratio you would want. That way you will have something to remix against if you have a accident. Try some (shoot it on a piece of preped metal) and see how it drys.
Series9
As far as mixing these two colors:

I noticed that no one has asked if these two paints are from the same manufacturer or even if they're the same type of paint.

If they're not, on both counts, you could be in for a big disappointment.
xsboost90
do me a favor and put some filler on that fender first!
Joe Bob
Sounds like it needs to be on jack stands....
dry.gif
Borderline
I would be interested in the type of paint and the manufactuer(s). Years ago I painted an EP MGB with some cheap automotive paint purchased at a chain called Standard Brands......not good. It would never shine, no matter what we did. I would paint something small first to see how it turns out. Is it a 2-component paint? I guess it all depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you paint the entire car and are not satisfied, you're in for a lot more work and money. Over the years I've wasted a lot of money trying to save a little.
maf914
You are going to put $29 paint on those fancy carbon pieces? laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.