Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Think I;m going to give this a shot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
For all of you with D-Jet setup, I'm going to purchase this and see what difference it makes, hoping install will not be a problem.

123\PORSCHE-4-R-V-IE http://www.leenapk.nl/123porsche4RVIE.html?language_code=en
scotty b
confused24.gif

http://www.123ignition.nl/id/60.html
StratPlayer
For the D-Jet setup is has to be the R-V-IE distributor
thieuster
The seller is a Dutch company and has been around for a few years already. There's even a brick and mortar shop. No iffy internet sales. You don't have to worry about that.

I have a 123Ignition in my Triumph TR. Installing was a quick job: took less than 15 mins. Most important is the fact that you set the static timing correctly: Be sure you understand the advance/rpm data before you remove your old ignition!

A more expensive version of the 123 gives you a USB portal with the possibility to 'learn' the module how to 'behave' at certain rpm.

Finally: when you need help (language, shipment to the US) just let me know. After all, I'm Dutch; I can pick up the phone to ask questions etc. I'll try to help you if needed!

Menno
luskesq
It will likely fit but are you sure it has trigger points? I didn't notice that in the description. Kinda necessary for the stock D-jet.

Keith
thieuster
QUOTE(luskesq @ Dec 21 2015, 08:48 PM) *

It will likely fit but are you sure it has trigger points? I didn't notice that in the description. Kinda necessary for the stock D-jet.

Keith

I can give 'm a call tomorrow ( nearly 10 PM here at the moment)

Menno
r_towle
QUOTE(thieuster @ Dec 21 2015, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(luskesq @ Dec 21 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Keith

I can give 'm a call tomorrow ( nearly 10 PM here at the moment)

Menno

Please do call and ask about djet comparability.
It would be nice to have a tunable advance curve
JamesM
QUOTE(luskesq @ Dec 21 2015, 12:48 PM) *

Keith

I was wondering the same thing so I looked through the install instructions

http://www.123ignition.nl/downloads/manuals/123PORSCHE4.pdf

There are two extra wires "yellow" and "White" that get attached to pins 1 and 3 on the "Bosch connector" on d-jet models, so it looks very likely that they made an electronic replacement for the injection points. If this is what it looks to be then this is beyond awesome given the injection points are the one thing we haven't had a source for.

Its digital and has adjustable timing curve to boot. This is seriously exciting.
Millerwelds
I previously posted this in another forum. It does have a djet version that has some kind of electrical /light/pick up to trigger the points.

Should be a vast improvement over the 40 year old stock dizzy with wobbly shaft and worn trigger points. Even compared to magnetic point options.

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Nov 5 2015, 04:34 PM) *

Someone help me out here. Looks like stock 2.0 74ish djet setup. Old distributor he shows has trigger points for fuel injection. Someone tell me how the new one is triggering the fuel injectors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1FigYoozE

Can't wait to hear how much you love it! I need an excuse to buy one myself.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 21 2015, 04:28 PM) *

There are two extra wires "yellow" and "White" that get attached to pins 1 and 3 on the "Bosch connector" on d-jet models, so it looks very likely that they made an electronic replacement for the injection points. If this is what it looks to be then this is beyond awesome given the injection points are the one thing we haven't had a source for.

Except the trigger points require 3 wires - a common and 2 poles. Not sure how this works with only two trigger point wires, and then a disconnect connector to the harness is needed.
Mueller
Electronic triggering of the injectors has been done before....I installed a setup in a Mallory like 10 years ago, I didn't get much interest at all and didn't it pursue any further than the setup in my car.

With the popularity of EDIS and MS gaining traction it seemed like a dead end project at the time.

Old Yella
Precious, I wants one.

Now they just need to do a TPS
DRPHIL914
This is very cool, can't wait to hear back about ow it works for you.
Maybe next we'll have someone able to engineer a better MPS!!
Until then I'll rebuild a couple.
thieuster
First thing this morning, I contacted the owner of the LeenAPK website. Leen (Leonard in English) was very informative.

First: he ships to the USA. Shipping costs are 28 euro. You can order the item from his webshop.

Second: you need the 'E' version of the dizzy - as explained and shown in the YT video.

Third: this E version is not available as a tuneable dizzy. So, not USB on this one. Reason: space inside. The trigger mechanism (magnetic with small coils according to Leonard) takes up too much space for an interenal USB portal.

I have a 123 on my Triumph and I am a happy customer. Car starts on the button and idles very smoothly. The main feature of the 123 is the fact that this dizzy works perfectly at high revs. A Triumphs has a low-revving engine a 914's engine however will benefit more from the high revving feature.

Check this: 123 on YT

If you need additional info, just PM me!

Menno

Jacob
They have US distributors:
http://www.123ignition.nl/buy.php

USA

123Ignitionusa.com
tel: 440-668-8164
sales@123ignitionusa.com
www.123ignitionUSA.com

Italian Auto Parts, Inc
5579-B Chamblee Dunwoody Rd
Ste 322
GA 30338 Atlanta
tel: +1 678-637-5103
fax: +1 914-829-9018
info@mrfiat.com
www.mrfiat.com
thieuster
Given the current Dollar vs Euro exchange rate, it might be a good idea to buy it in Europe...

Menno
JamesM
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 21 2015, 06:58 PM) *

Except the trigger points require 3 wires - a common and 2 poles. Not sure how this works with only two trigger point wires, and then a disconnect connector to the harness is needed.

Its been a while since I dissected d-jet, but the common is most likely +voltage which this distributor already has a source for. I dont actually know that it is what they are doing here, but i could see it working.

nordfisch
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 23 2015, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 21 2015, 06:58 PM) *

Its been a while since I dissected d-jet, but the common is most likely +voltage which this distributor already has a source for. I dont actually know that it is what they are doing here, but i could see it working.

Hi,
the lead in the middle is ground (earth). Bosch did this because they tried to isolate all the grounds of the system from the 'engine ground'.
Reason for this was: When the 'motor-ground-lead' was broken or in incorrect order all the electric stream would flow through the D-Jet-components and destroy them especially when starting.

The 'trigger'-connectors at the 123 don't fit very well into the plug of the wiring harness, as we discussed in Germany before (sorry, in German language): https://oldtimer.tips/de/forum2/ignition/27...v-kontakte#2296

One thing to add: You must take care of fitting the contacts to the correct leads. When you interchange them, the engine will run quite normal, indeed - but injection is at wrong timing, suboptimal setup...

Regards
Norbert
StratPlayer
You must take care of fitting the contacts to the correct leads. When you interchange them, the engine will run quite normal, indeed - but injection is at wrong timing, suboptimal setup...

Thanks for that info...
DRPHIL914
Did you order one yet?
StratPlayer
No not yet...
StratPlayer
It's on its way, order right from the company that makes it,,, it's in the NL.. Hoping I have it next week some time.
Millerwelds
Sweet. Super anxious to hear how you like it. I saw an update from them and they now have a bluetooth model where you can use your phone to 'tune' to some degree and it has a real sweet anti theft concept built in where you have to punch in a code on your phone for it to work so the car can not be started without it. Super cool till your phone is dead.... beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
smile.gif Very cool, let us know how it works out for you smile.gif
StratPlayer
It's being installed today, pics and a write up to follow.. One thing we discovered was I had a 1.7 distributor running in my car.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jun 10 2016, 02:31 PM) *

Sweet. Super anxious to hear how you like it. I saw an update from them and they now have a bluetooth model where you can use your phone to 'tune' to some degree and it has a real sweet anti theft concept built in where you have to punch in a code on your phone for it to work so the car can not be started without it. Super cool till your phone is dead.... beerchug.gif

That's why your car comes with an 'accessory socket'!! biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
I just picked up my car with the new 123 distributor in it and the tangerine racing shift kit installed. The engine is a 2056, org. cylinders bored out to 96mm, Keith Black pistons, Hastings rings. Before the new distributor was installed, the car would hunt at idle, couldn't find any vac. leaks any where. The engine would have a hesitation in it once in a while. Hard to adjust the idle. New distributor installed, no more hunting at idle, no more hesitation what so ever, idle stays exactly where you set it. Great product for the D jet folks that are using a 40 year old distributor. NO trigger points..........

The car was getting very sloppy shifting, that's over.. Car shifts better than new, no more hunting for gears....

I'm very happy with these upgrades, especially the 123 distributor.

Eric Shea from PMB will be doing a write up with pics on the distributor install.

I'm a happy camper.
Millerwelds
Thanks for the feedback!
beerchug.gif
StratPlayer
The install is easy, we set the curve setting at 4, engine runs like a top.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 8 2016, 03:20 PM) *

Yeah the more I researched it I could tell it would be a vast improvement over a 40 year old dizzy and a huge plus getting rid of the trigger points.
JOEPROPER
I'm anxious to see the pics and write up on this product. Nice to hear that your upgrades were a success and worth the $ and effort.
rhodyguy
Does this distributor require a vacuum signal?
StratPlayer
There is a vacuum port on the distributor..
siverson
Anyone know if this distributor can be used on a six with the CDI box, or does it replace the CDI/coil with a different coil?

-Steve
Mueller
The tuneable setup they have is pretty cool, too bad so pricey!
DavidSweden
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 8 2016, 02:20 PM) *

I looked at the installation instructions but I didn't find any information regarding choosing the appropriate curve.

How do you know which curve to choose?
StratPlayer
In the install instructions there is a list of dizzy numbers for the 914. When you pull your old dizzy, check the numbers and compare with list on the install instructions.
rhodyguy
as they seem to offer units for 356s and 912s, i wonder if they have one for carbed T-4s. mallorys didn't come cheaply either and when the module craps out, it's spendy.
Mueller
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 9 2016, 09:46 AM) *

as they seem to offer units for 356s and 912s, i wonder if they have one for carbed T-4s. mallorys didn't come cheaply either and when the module craps out, it's spendy.

These too are electronic and can fail, do they offer replacement components or do you need to send the entire unit back if you let out the smoke?
StratPlayer
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 9 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Roady check the install instructions,, has a list of dizzy numbers, I'm sure there is one for a carb. car. http://www.123ignition.nl/downloads/manuals/123PORSCHE4.pdf
Mueller
I wish I wasn't a lazy American and I knew German!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrAj6KsQB8
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 10 2016, 04:35 PM) *

I wish I wasn't a lazy American and I knew German!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrAj6KsQB8

Thats Dutch, not German.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.