ChrisFoley
David,
This is just awesome! You are an airbrush madman! biggrin.gif
clap.gif clap.gif mueba.gif pray.gif
ChrisFoley
Closeup.
The detail is incredible! pray.gif
Mueller
are all of them airbrushed or is one a master with the others being silkscreened ??

either way...way cool smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
Screenprinted back for my sponsors.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2005, 09:08 PM)
are all of them airbrushed or is one a master with the others being silkscreened ??

either way...way cool smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif

All hand airbrushed - one of a kind masterpieces!
TimT
thems some nice shirts

jd74914
Sweet. Those look really nice smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
Sweet!

I hope you are bringing one for us when you come down next week!

Series9
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 14 2005, 07:09 PM)

Holy crap! ohmy.gif

Are they for sale?
ppickerell
Chris,
I will trade you a Peridot Racing tee designed by Ric Van Sickle of planb for one Tangerine racing shirt.
Twystd1
Gotta have one...
How much and where ya want the money sent?

And yes I am serious...

Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Qarl
Will drool make the airbrush paint smudge????

drooley.gif drooley.gif
redshift
Those are crazy good!

M
ablose58
Me likes ALOT drooley.gif drooley.gif Are thoise gonna be 4 sale?????????AL
SpecialK
WOW!! Those look great!

pray.gif
ChrisFoley
I can't sell any yet.
I have obligations to fulfill first, and the full order won't be complete for several weeks - gotta give the artist some time.
After that I may have about a dozen that are unspoken for.
Maybe I should hold an auction, with the profits to go into the Brad fund. beerchug.gif
william harris
That's the spirit! Set one aside for me Chris. Auction for the Brad Fund, great idea. How is our fearless leader? aktion035.gif
mikerose
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 14 2005, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2005, 09:08 PM)

either way...way cool smile.gif  :trophy:

Hell I have been posting this for over a year. cool_shades.gif

Mike
rhodyguy
with that kind of talent, a guy could make a living painting tees from a good picture.

k
spunone
Very cool I think he should number them just like litho prints only Better. smilie_pokal.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 15 2005, 09:53 AM)
with that kind of talent, a guy could make a living painting tees from a good picture.

seems easy 'til you try it...

not a lot of people, especially in this crowd, willing to spend $100 for a custom airbrushed tee. (this is NOT a price quote - it's an EXAMPLE).

if you can do one a day, you can gross $500/wk - plus you have to pay for the shirt, the paint, the shop expenses (heatset press, air compressor...) and shipping. and you need 250 customers a year, minimum.

but you can't support a family on $500/wk before expenses, so it better not take you a whole day to paint a shirt - which means you better give up your day job and get faster, and you better not depend on $100/shirt, which means you have to go faster still, and now you need 1000 customers a year...

Dave has sent me a whole bunch of great new pictures to put on the website, but i've been busy with my day job and haven't updated the site for a while... (this weekend, if the sky don't fall and the creek don't rise...)

i've been talking with Dave about Hershey and his current response is that he can't make it. i'm still trying to pursuade him to send some work to sell at Hershey, so that might happen.
TravisNeff
Chris, I don't see your healthcare provider listed as a supporter on the back of your T-shirt...

lol2.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 15 2005, 12:04 PM)
Chris, I don't see your healthcare provider listed as a supporter on the back of your T-shirt...

lol2.gif

lol laugh.gif
guywan914
Chris, The shirts look awesome. I'll be to the shop sometime tommorrow[probably around noon]. Can you bring one with you to see in person.
djm914-6
You are quite welcome Chris. A little birdie told me to try to get a few more done, So I'll be up ALL night painting some skinny(er) people shirts. Now where did I put that No-Doz? biggrin.gif

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Mar 15 2005, 08:48 PM)
You are quite welcome Chris. A little birdie told me to try to get a few more done, So I'll be up ALL night painting some skinny(er) people shirts. Now where did I put that No-Doz? biggrin.gif

pray.gif pray.gif
neo914-6
Nice work, I had an airbrush artist paint a shirt of my Opel GT back in the 70's. He worked fast, maybe 20 minutes.

Am I opening a can of worms but a search for djm914-6 shows many of his threads in the recycle bin... confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 16 2005, 02:40 AM)
He worked fast, maybe 20 minutes.

I can't sketch an outline of a car in 20 minutes. unsure.gif
but I can do driving.gif 19 laps of Lime Rock in 20 minutes.
ArtechnikA
Nice work, I had an airbrush artist paint a shirt of my Opel GT back in the 70's. He worked fast, maybe 20 minutes.

yes, that's part of the frustration. the guys who *can* make a living at it fulltime have the opportunity to practice constantly and have their setups optimised for what they do (multiple air brushes, quick color changes, lots of other little things...). i do one or two Tees a year - it really doesn't matter if it takes me 20 minutes or 20 hours.

when i start seeing a backlog of commissions, i will re-evaluate the situation. current backlog: 0.

i have committed door prizes to WCC and ECR. and i will have stuff at the Hershey Swap Meet (April) Parade Goodie Store (June). if that doesn't stimulate some interest i'll re-evaluate the whole thing...

i have no information on Dave's housecleaning, other than perhaps he's had an opportunity to prune some threads that are no longer relevant. i should probably do the same thing...
djm914-6

Am I opening a can of worms but a search for djm914-6 shows many of his threads in the recycle bin... confused24.gif

Yup, a can of worms. bootyshake.gif But I won't go there.

Some shirts can be done quickly and for little money, others take quite a bit more time. These are more along the lines of quick shirts. Because I'm doing so many of the same design, I can speed a few things up to create a slightly better painting for the same money. This is the first time I'm really trying to speed through the painting process, Usually I take a lot more time and concentrate more on clean lines and details. Basically, an airbrush artists try will fit a design into a set price point. For example, I can do a $25 shirt that looks like the car in question. I can do a $50 shirt that is less cartoony and shows light effects. I can also do a $70 shirt that is extreemly detailed and looks a lot like the referance picture. I can also do a $price is no object painting that is almost photo realistic. I'm working to be able to create photo realism. Each price point is time dependant and none include the price of the shirts they're painted on.

My biggest problem isn't the speed that I paint, but the time I have to paint. I have a back log like crazy and I try to devote as much time as possable to each "customer's" projects. The hard part with all this is that this is just a hobby and will in no way pay my bills. I still need to work my day job (most times being well over 8 hours a day), raise my two boys, be a good husband, maintain my house, and so on.

What I try to do is prioritze my paintings by what NEEDS to be out and when. for example these shirts have a true deadline and I paint when ever I can. Another person has an RC body in my studio. I work on that later when my compressor will wake the kids. It will be painted, but only as time fits.

HTH answer some questions.
mikerose
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Mar 16 2005, 06:54 AM)

What I try to do is prioritze my paintings by what NEEDS to be out and when. for example these shirts have a true deadline and I paint when ever I can. Another person has an RC body in my studio. I work on that later when my compressor will wake the kids. It will be painted, but only as time fits.

HTH answer some questions.

Yes I have a RC body and I hope to have a few more Shirts also. Dave you are a artist smilie_pokal.gif Thanks again for the Awesome shirt's and the RC body that you have painted so far. pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Mike cool_shades.gif
Jake Raby
Excellent work man...

When you are ready to make some extra money let me know. I have the need for some custom shirts for the Video that Seanery and I will be working on very soon and need something totally genuine and original. This video is gonna be SWEET!
mikerose
The Photo
mikerose
Shirt
neo914-6
djm914-6,

The 20 minute painting had cartoon quality and the artist made it look more like a Corvette than my Opel wacko.gif , but I admire anyone skilled in airbrush. smilie_pokal.gif

I donated art to the WCC to revive my artistic skills that have remained dormant throughout my non-creative professional career. It was my passion well before the job, family responsibilities, and my automotive "hobby".

keep up the good work clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.