Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Car Autocross video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967
Took the V8 car out this weekend for a shakedown at the LSR PCA autocross. What a suprise! I knew that the 205s were not enough tire to handle the V8 (even with a limited slip), but I didn't realize that I had so much body roll as well. This equated to slower times, but I had fun. I have new 7 and 8 x18 Fuchs and 225/245 tires with flares that will soon go on, but first step is bigger front torsion bars and sway bar. We will put the car on the scales soon to see where we stand before making our tuning decisions.........

Car specs:
75 914 w/backdated bumpers
Full cage
930 front brakes
yoko ES tires 205/50/16
901 with swapped gears and Quaife
Front stock swaybar
No rear bar
Chevy 305
Renegade cooling system

Enjoy the video.......DLee

Best to rightclick and save as....

Autocross Video
mskala
I would say it sounds like a nice car, but oh yeah all I can
hear is this da#n music cool.gif

Where's the tire and engine sounds, and the sounds of valiant
cones losing the battle!

Do you have a PCA local class for that? Here it runs with non-
porsches
dlee1967
I have a raw engine version also. I'll do a little edit on that and post it when I have cleared the F-bomb that flew when I spun. They put me in P6, which is a Porsche class. DLee
Andyrew
I wana see the raw engine one!!!

Gets me exited.. lol
mrihop
Nice video!

Makes me want to go out and AutoX my V8 car!

You sure you want to use tires that will grab? I'd rather let my tires break loose than my tranny break apart!

I'm running a Renegade Cooling setup too, any cooling issues that day?

"backdated bumpers" Is that the car you put the rear crome bumper you got from me on?
J P Stein
I wanna hear the lump biggrin.gif
SpecialK
Man those "8"s get it off the line! ohmy.gif

Cool video, looks like an absolute blast! driving.gif

....and who was singing that first song? I like it!
Joe Ricard
That rocks!!!! woulda been nice to here the in car music. You know exhaust roaring and tires howling.
dlee1967
I've had no cooling problems with the car on the street, but the car got hot that day. About 225 on the water and 260 peak on the oil. I adjusted my oil cooler fan to come on earlier and it really helped. I think the other thing was that I took off my ultimate air dam in fear of crunching it and added a limited edition spoiler with holes drilled for air flow. It definitly blocks the air. I will have to reconsider that choice.

As far as the trans is concerned with the V8, I am not so worried about wider tires hooking up and breakage. I don't use first gear. Second is the strongest gear and is attached to the mainshaft. It is the gear that I launch in. My car also now has an "H" gear for 5th, flipped fifth for fourth gear, flipped fourth for third and I toss the original third gear. Great spacing for a street of high speed track car. If I was serious about building an autocross car I would build a much shorter box, but this is also a street car that I like to drive on the interstate. The Quaife was a great addition and improvement, but the benfits are rather negated by the skinny tires. I am looking four a 930 box at a good price to install when my big 350 that is on the engine stand goes in the car, but right now I just have a few extra 901s, just in case.

The axles are also key to a reliable car. After one hard launch on stock axles, you can destroy the CVs. I am proof. You can either use 915 axles and early 915 hubs and stubs or Renegade adapters and VW bus axles. I chose the Renegade adapters and bought rebult bus axles from Autozone. They have Lobro cvs and have given me no trouble. The bolts do work themselves loose, so safety wire might be in order.

Mr. Ihop, I used your bumper on the back of my wifes street car with the 350. The track car has stock appearing fiberglass bumpers. The first song is the Donna's, an all girl band. Ask any teenager for details.

David Lee
dlee1967
Here it is again...........in the raw state..........DLee

PCA Raw
Andyrew
boldblue.gif clap.gif

Very nice... I betcha you get the same "loudness" problem I have.. Cant tell how loud it is in the cabin, but you can sure hear it from the back...

what kind of springs you have in the rear? 180's?
sanman
You know the music was nice but it just aint engine noise. And you think you need more HP, track time is cheaper laugh.gif

Look like you had a blast.Speaking of "Having a blast"We had one Sat. Thanks for the beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
Hey Johon what happen.Did you stay at home to finish your v8 car for the autoX on Sun boldblue.gif
wrpspddrvr
At the beginning of the second run, the flagger says "Good luck", and you said "Thank ya'!" lol, it's obvious you're not a 911 owner!

Cole monkeydance.gif
sanman
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 15 2005, 07:59 AM)
"Good luck", and you said "Thank ya'!" lol, it's obvious you're not a 911 owner!

Cole monkeydance.gif

laugh.gif
dlee1967
Actually Cole, I am a 911 owner. (1969 911T targa) I think I undertand your comment. I am just not "that kind" of 911 owner. DLee
Joe Ricard
How about that cone you hit on the 1st run Slide slide wham "aghh" dead center of the car.
I am laughing with you not at you. For those who have never killed a cone cast the 1st stone. You got a 2 for 1 though.
You say you got a 302 motor is that a Ford? or old Chevy???
SCCA what class does this put you in? Something MOD I guess. But not SM-2.

I need to make a trip to Houston that course looks like to much fun. actually started to make me dizzy watching it.

"ROAD TRIP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dlee1967
Joe, you might remember a DP caged and flared Mini from Baton Rouge a number of years ago. I used to run with Delta Region before moving to Nashville. (Houston now)

The PCA puts me in P6 locally. I am an SCCA member, but have not run with them yet. Maybe we should meet in Belle Chasse one weekend and double team them? That is still a heck of a haul. 6.5 hours for me. I would have to couple it with a fishing trip to Grand Isle. DLee
Joe Ricard
Ya gang up on the Delta region. That sounds cool. Houston is about 8 hours for me. Belle chase is this Sunday the 20th. about 2 hours for me. Sometimes less on them early Sunday mornings rolleyes.gif
http://www.delta-scca.org/05%20Schedule/05...05_schedule.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.