Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Dated Beauty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Lessons learned.....

LESSON 1... I bought the Repo bumpers from Rich in Redwood City. Stupid money but still cheaper then AA. Interesting fact was he said they come from Vietnam. Problem was while they look great, the brackets where the dog bones bolt to had to be cut down then rewelded due to the fit not even being close. If I had to do it again I would have bought orginal bumpers then had them re-chromed. I Also would have had the front license plate mounting holes filled in.
This route would not have saved any money but would have made install easier for PMS.

LESSON 2... I didn't consider all the parts needed to do a proper bumper back date. Meaning the cost of back up lights, fog lights and grills, bumper pads. I knew the cost of the bumpers but OMG things added up fast.

LESSON 3... Don't leave new still in the box Pass mirror on top of truck when leaving Sierra Madre Collection in Pasadena. Was already on the 210 when I had a MF moment.
SMC looked everywhere but I am sure it landed in the gutter on Colorado blvd. they cut me a break on the second mirror but trust me at 300.00 bucks invested I will cuss the Fnnnn mirror every time I look at it.

Lesson 4... I forgot to order a new rear valance. What was I thinking that the old one would work !!

Other then that i am happy with the outcome. Along with this work I had PMS in Phoenix install 911 suspension and brakes. While I would have loved to tackle a lot of this myself the fact is I just don't have time in my life anymore to work on these projects. Sucks because I was that guy 20 years ago.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
Car looks very nice.
Spoke
Beautiful!
pete000
Worth the effort and cost ! Looks great.
boxsterfan
smilie_pokal.gif
ndfrigi
beauty! just wondering what size of tires on the new chromed 5 lug wheels?

your car before and after:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Before 205 50 15 on 5.5" rims

After 205 55 15 on 6" rims
gandalf_025
All the stainless repro bumpers are made by Harrington Group
based in the UK.. They are manufactured in Vietnam.
You can order them direct from Harrington
with or without holes drilled in them.
Mine fit my 1970 without issue.
1795.00 included shipping from Vietnam,
AA wouldn't match that price
Shipping took less time than USPS 2 day priority mail
packages sent to me cross country.

Well worth the price....
ben*james
Absolutely agree ... Beauty!
wes
Looking great!
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif Awesome!

What's with the bumpers having to be re-welded?
maf914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 21 2015, 08:43 PM) *

Lesson 4... I forgot to order a new rear valance. What was I thinking that the old one would work !!

Could you describe how or why the rear valence didn't work with the bumper conversion? I was not aware that the big bumper 75-76 valences, front or rear, were different from the earlier steel bumper valences. Thanks.
Coondog
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 22 2015, 03:27 AM) *

Well worth the price....

Tried this route but at the time they were out of stock and waiting for the next shipment.

Lesson number 5... Supply and demand = stupid pricing !!
The other side of the story is due to time frames I drove from S. Calif to N. Calif and back in one day to pick up the last pair Rich had, he knew AA was out and his was the only set stateside. While his shop looks like a tornado hit it. He commands a take it or leave it, I don't care attitude cause you ain't my only customer. One thing I like about Rich is cash is king so if you want better pricing cash talks. But just know he is the King of Supply and Demand you want it now pricing.

If someone is looking for rechromed no hole rear bumpers contact RH in Vegas. They have a stock of rears only at killer prices.
Coondog
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 22 2015, 05:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 21 2015, 08:43 PM) *

Could you describe how or why the rear valence didn't work with the bumper conversion? I was not aware that the big bumper 75-76 valences, front or rear, were different from the earlier steel bumper valences. Thanks.

Don't want to throw PMS under the bus but somewhere the communication was lost and it didn't get reinstalled. My first though was it wouldn't work so that's why they left it off and stupid me didn't say anything. Thanks for the correction. I will call them today and hope it didn't go in the trash.
wndsnd
Beautiful. Nice update to the car.
AZ914
Looks awesome!

Re: the rear valance, should bolt right up!
tomrev
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 22 2015, 06:26 AM) *

Looks awesome!

Re: the rear valance, should bolt right up!

Agree, have backdated my '75 with no valance issue. I always forget how good the cars look in white, 'till I see one like your's: Bella!
TravisNeff
Pretty pretty!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2015, 12:49 AM) *

Before 205 50 15 on 5.5" rims

After 205 55 15 on 6" rims

Nice! now it confirmed what tires I'm getting soon and it has been 205x55x15 tires I have been thinking for my 6" fuchs wheels too. Last inquiry, what brand and model tire?

With that beautiful transformation, i'm again thinking of backdating my big rubber bumper.

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Yokohama S Drive. Americas tire has them. I agree chrome bumpers will make your Blue paint really stand out.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2015, 09:32 AM) *

Yokohama S Drive. Americas tire has them. I agree chrome bumpers will make your Blue paint really stand out.

Thanks for the tire info! I have both front and back chrome bumpers but not
in perfect shape!
Coondog
bs.gif
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 22 2015, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2015, 09:32 AM) *

Thanks for the tire info! I have both front and back chrome bumpers but not
in perfect shape!

It was the little things that drove the cost up for me.

Dog bones Pelican had best price
Fog lights bought from amazon 2/3 cheaper
License plate lights (2) overpaid high performance house, even AA was 1/2 cheaper
Fog light grills Ecklers would have bought from SMC but they did not have in stock
Chrome bumper plug Overpaid HPH. Someone said Harley shops have same plug
License plate clips (4) AA
Bumper rubber Sierra Madre Collection
Fog light screws and clips AA
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2015, 05:27 AM) *
The other side of the story is due to time frames I drove from S. Calif to N. Calif and back in one day to pick up the last pair Rich had, he knew AA was out and his was the only set stateside. While his shop looks like a tornado hit it. He commands a take it or leave it, I don't care attitude cause you ain't my only customer. One thing I like about Rich is cash is king so if you want better pricing cash talks. But just know he is the King of Supply and Demand you want it now pricing.

Rich is well hated by many because of his general grumpyness and "I don't care" attitude but once you get to know him, he's actually a great guy.
biggrin.gif

And yes, his warehouse is a complete mess but it's also the biggest 914 parts bin you will ever set foot into.
Coondog
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2015, 11:35 AM) *

Rich is well hated by many because of his general grumpyness and "I don't care" attitude but once you get to know him, he's actually a great guy.
biggrin.gif

And yes, his warehouse is a complete mess but it's also the biggest 914 parts bin you will ever set foot into.

We got along just fine, we both have daughters going to San Diego State thing in common. Interesting enought I told my wife that if I say one thing out of line this dude will double the price. As a Firefighter I wanted to tell him this place will burn to the ground before water could even be applied.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2015, 05:27 AM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 22 2015, 03:27 AM) *

Well worth the price....

Tried this route but at the time they were out of stock and waiting for the next shipment.

Lesson number 5... Supply and demand = stupid pricing !!

If someone is looking for rechromed no hole rear bumpers contact RH in Vegas. They have a stock of rears only at killer prices.

What is RH in Vegas?
Coondog
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 22 2015, 12:31 PM) *
What is RH in Vegas?

Renagade Hybrids. 702 739-8011 Ask for Scott. At the time he had rears only for 600.00. All rechromed. Reason I didn't buy from him was I wanted fronts and rears and was afraid the finishes would not be the same. Still a killer price.
turk22
White cars rule!

Really like the backdate, but I also like the original Fuch's, they looked to be in great shape.
pete000
I even like the "before" look !
RickS
What a stunner. Very nice work.

I am perplexed about needing to add backup lights. Aren't they tail light assemblies the same?
Coondog
QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 22 2015, 05:57 PM) *

I am perplexed about needing to add backup lights. Aren't they tail light assemblies the same?

My bad license plate lights
TravisNeff
license plate lights I think
davesprinkle

I agree. The car looks great.

But you need to get proper turn signal lenses. Leave the clear lenses for the ricer boys. We're not driving lowered Civics here.
Coondog
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 23 2015, 05:15 PM) *

I agree. The car looks great.

But you need to get proper turn signal lenses. Leave the clear lenses for the ricer boys. We're not driving lowered Civics here.

Maybe I am Italian and wanted to represent my heritage.... ravenna914.jpg white914.jpg red914.jpg
Coondog
For those who didn't get my last post, 914s sold in Italy had clear lens....... Now I think I will go eat some spaghetti....... chowtime.gif
alfadoc
I hear there are some crazy folks in the world who doubt the attractiveness of 914s. Coondog, one look at your car would erase all doubts. Stunning.
skier2.0
I think Finland also used clear lenses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.