Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 front hubs on 914 struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
Looking through all of the various 5-lug threads, one possible combo I've not seen mentioned is simply using 911 front hubs (with rotors) on a 914 strut. Assuming wheel bearings can be found that match up the diameters (I'm assuming the 911 spindle is a different diameter), and assuming caliper adapters could be made up to mate SOME calipers (I'm thinking Wilwood) to the 914 caliper mounts and fit the rotor.

I don't have the parts handy (except already on cars) to measure. Seems to me this would be a great way to get vented rotors on the front w/o having to buy a complete 911 front end.

Has anyone tried this? Is it simply impossible due to offsets on the parts? Are the correct wheel bearings simply unavailable?
Mueller
the wheel bearings are bigger on the 911 hub than the 914 strut, so spacers would be needed on the 914 spindle...

spare time toys
I was looking at a set of 911 hubs over the weekend for just this but was not sure my self so I didnt get them.
xsboost90
all you really need is the correct spindle/strut assy. Mine bolted right on w/ brakes and all, same ball joints 76 914 vs. 78 911. You would have to find bearings that have the same od as the 911 and ID as the 914 spindle, making the bearings real big and weaker. DIdnt someone make custom hubs that fit the 911/944 rotors and the 914 bearings.
Mueller
DIdnt someone make custom hubs that fit the 911/944 rotors and the 914 bearings.

sorta...there was a website that had the dimensions to make the spacers needed to adapt a 944/911 front hub to an early vw bug spindle, so the dimensions must be pretty close since the 914 shares the same part numbers for the wheel bearings with the bugs....

lapuwali
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Mar 14 2005, 07:32 PM)
all you really need is the correct spindle/strut assy. Mine bolted right on w/ brakes and all, same ball joints 76 914 vs. 78 911. You would have to find bearings that have the same od as the 911 and ID as the 914 spindle, making the bearings real big and weaker. DIdnt someone make custom hubs that fit the 911/944 rotors and the 914 bearings.

It isn't quite that easy. These things never are. First, I have a '71 now, and the bottom of the strut where the A-arms attach to the balljoint is not the same (changed in '73). Now, this certainly means I need different ball joints (not a big deal), and MAY mean I need different A-arms. This means I potentially need to change the way the sway bar mounts, since I know the 911 of this period was different, and the sway bar mounts to the A-arm on the earlier A-arms (and perhaps all 914s).

Mueller made up the billet hubs that allow 911 rotors to be fitted to a four-bolt 914 front end, and Brad put them into production, and now they're in limbo pending Brad's legal issues (perfectly understandable). I would buy a set tomorrow if I could.

I certainly could just use a complete 911 front end. I'm not so much objecting to the price of doing so as simply trying to determine if the concept would work. I like swaps where only the actual parts that need to change are swapped, which generally reduces the cost and effort of making the swap. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, but I haven't heard a good explanation as to why. The wheel bearing issue is one. I'm not convinced such a bearing would be "weak", but it would be easy to convince me it's hard to obtain.

So, Mueller, a question for you: I presume the OD as well as the ID of the 911 bearing is larger than the 914 bearing. I wonder if a bearing sleeve could be made up to press into the 911 hub to allow it to take the 914 bearing? This sounds much easier and cheaper to make than a whole hub. A sleeve on the spindle would also work, of course. I suppose the spindle sleeve might be easier, since it won't really have to be a press fit, where I believe an outer sleeve would have to be.

Eric_Shea
Here's how I'd score the contest:

Easiest = Getting new ball joints and 911 struts. No need for new a-arms.

Next Easiest (my preference) = Getting a complete early (pre 74) 911 front end. You'll get slightly larger t-bars. Sway bar mounts bolt right up (ask me how I know).

Next Next Easiest = Wait for the billet jobies.

Next Next Next Easiest = Have a sleeve made for the bearings. Figure out the caliper spacing issues.

Next Next Next Next Easiest = Find the odd-ball bearing. Figure out the caliper spacing issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.