Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get quiet without a muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
Long ago when I raced Harley Davidson motorcycles we would drive them around on the street to tune and test them. We needed to quiet them down some and we used a steel multi disk insert with center tube which worked well. We would remove it to race. I just put one in each exhaust stinger on my 914 vintage six race car and they worked very well so hopefully I won't have to put the muffler on between races. An additional benefit is the cooler for the tranny sits right over the muffler and becomes a tranny heater, but no longer!! Available from Summit Racing and the 3 disk ones I bough were about $50 each.
scotty914
well i like my triad inspired exhaust i made for less than $75. if it is anything like triads for loss of hp, which it should be since he told me how to make it ( pray.gif triad dave ) i will have only lost about 6 hp, out 175 or so. and it sounds sweet and type 4 ish, even though its a suby.

but i almost went with the summit muffs with disks, but i wanted the balance between the cylinder banks
Triaddave
scott, did i read this wrong when you said a loss of HP ? usually you gain HP with the triad, (triad inspired).
scotty914
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Mar 14 2005, 08:47 PM)
scott, did i read this wrong when you said a loss of HP ? usually you gain HP with the triad, (triad inspired).

sorry dave you did not mis read i mistyped, i meant a loss of 6 hp from an open exhaust, or a gain from a stock exhaust.

and john if you want a sweet muffler set up with as little loss from your open pipes as you can get BUY a triad, and its even quite enough for daily driving. nothing like a gain over stock with a better sound. smilie_pokal.gif
john rogers
Thanks for the info but I have a really good muffler, but I just do not want the hassle of having to switch it on and off. I am not currently doing any events that require any noise reduction so it is mainly for driving around and testing.
cha914
John,

Do you have a summit part #? or what brand are they? I would like to run my stinger for an upcoming event and would rather not have to change exhausts at the event. How are they held in the stinger?

Thanks,

Tony
Qarl
Try this...

john rogers
Here you go. I had to modify them slightly as my stingers are tapered and these are for a straight pipe. I notched the front and back discs and expanded them slightly. I noticed that at idle the car was loud, but at 3500 RPM it was about as quiet as the muffler?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...t=egnsearch.asp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.