Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric front trunk release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Has anyone done this????
Cracker
Why? is your cable broken? One of the nice things about old P-cars is how simple they are - you want to complicate it? Hmm?

T
mrholland2
I'm not a fan of the cable routing etc. Plus the tub I'm using (all painted etc) seems to be missing some routing/mounting points for the cable. Plus, yes. . I wanna be more complex! And deep. . and brooding LOL

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2015, 01:12 PM) *

Why? is your cable broken? One of the nice things about old P-cars is how simple they are - you want to complicate it? Hmm?

T

Cracker
I believe my old Boxster S had an electric hood release. In the event the battery died there was a jumping terminal in the cockpit to power the circuit (and get to the battery). Just plan for that...

T
jmill
I wonder if a power door lock actuator has enough power to pop the hood? If so it would be cheap and easy.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 23 2015, 05:45 PM) *

I wonder if a power door lock actuator has enough power to pop the hood? If so it would be cheap and easy.

No. You need a solenoid.
alfadoc
Snag a hatch release solenoid off of a 944. Cheap enough, and keeps it in the family.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(alfadoc @ Dec 23 2015, 06:36 PM) *

Snag a hatch release solenoid off of a 944. Cheap enough, and keeps it in the family.

Got a pic of one ?
thelogo
[quote name='Cracker' date='Dec 23 2015, 01:12 PM' post='2280763'

One of the nice things about old P-cars is how simple they are - you want to complicate it? Hmm?

T
[/quote]

That's just like the a-4 shyhawk

Heinmans hot rod , simple light and responsive

A philosophy never to be gotten away from

And I forbid any one to put in keyless entry in a 914

Unless that means you away just leave the door unlocked
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 23 2015, 11:19 PM) *

I never lock my doors... smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
I've always been amazed by the amount of effort my front trunk latch requires. Suspected there's something off for a long time, but it's never gotten worse. Or perhaps it has.

Any ideas? I'd way rather fix the cable setup than adapt an electric system...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 23 2015, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 23 2015, 11:19 PM) *

I never lock my doors... smile.gif

Sometimes I inadvertently leave the barn door open.... blink.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 23 2015, 11:15 PM) *

I've always been amazed by the amount of effort my front trunk latch requires. Suspected there's something off for a long time, but it's never gotten worse. Or perhaps it has.

Same thing in my 74s. The only smooth front hood release I've ever seen is uninstalled in my hand. I figure it's the cable length and latch pressure.
rgalla9146
Keep in mind that there is a hole in the front closing panel to operate the latch if your hood cable (.....or solenoid) fails.
But........you have to remove the front bumper to use it
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 23 2015, 10:05 PM) *
Got a pic of one ?

Pretty serious motor and gear reduction to pull the cable.
http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/944...ealease-002.jpg
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 24 2015, 04:59 AM) *

Same thing in my 74s. The only smooth front hood release I've ever seen is uninstalled in my hand. I figure it's the cable length and latch pressure.

agree.gif
Even with a new cable from 914rubber, removed and cleaned/lubed the latch, and it takes a strong pull to get the front to release.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Dec 24 2015, 12:58 PM) *

agree.gif
Even with a new cable from 914rubber, removed and cleaned/lubed the latch, and it takes a strong pull to get the front to release.

Usually it's not the cable t g at some the issue, it's the guide tube being cracked.
GeorgeRud
I'm sure you could apply some lubricant (silicone, graphite, white grease?) to the cable sheath, but releasing it from the latch and seeing how much friction is present in the cable itself may be helpful. The latch itself should be cleaned, lubricated, and carefully adjusted to keep it working properly.

It shouldn't take Hurculean strength to open the front trunk latch if things are properly adjusted.
Mike Bellis
They are tough to pull due to the spring tension and the gasket tension.

I run hood pins. biggrin.gif
mrholland2

But giant "American" cars have really long cables and so forth, but I've never had one as tough as this. I'm okay with manual if I can get it where it would be of modest resistance. Right now, I'm gonna nickname the hood release "Borg". wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.