Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Reverse All the Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Twonicks001
1972 - 4cyl - Original Tail shifter - Just changed all the shifter bushings and am in process of getting alignment right on shifter rods. Thought I had several, if not all gears so put car back on ground to test. What felt like reverse was reverse ... but what felt like second was also reverse...and... what felt like third was also reverse...anybody have an idea of what I did to cause this. Nothing appears unattached fom the selector through the firewall. Could I have somehow gotten the shifter fork at the transmission hung up in reverse? Anyone that has a thought, please pass it on before I start opening everything up again.
xperu
QUOTE(Twonicks001 @ Dec 23 2015, 04:21 PM) *

1972 - 4cyl - Original Tail shifter - Just changed all the shifter bushings and am in process of getting alignment right on shifter rods. Thought I had several, if not all gears so put car back on ground to test. What felt like reverse was reverse ... but what felt like second was also reverse...and... what felt like third was also reverse...anybody have an idea of what I did to cause this. Nothing appears unattached fom the selector through the firewall. Could I have somehow gotten the shifter fork at the transmission hung up in reverse? Anyone that has a thought, please pass it on before I start opening everything up again.

Hi, I'm not a transmission guy by any means, but I see you haven't had any responses to your post.
I lost all my shifting capabilities all of a sudden. the problem was my bushing at the firewall had completely failed. I believe it was the original bushings. Replaced all and everything was fine. also it may be the cone screw that has backed out our missing, this is not uncommon to be the case with this bushing and will cause shift mayhem.

I would also post your problem on the garage forum for more exposure to you question. Mike
P.S. I also live south of Houston off I-45 in League City
Twonicks001
Mike,
Thanks for the response...problem was I am a newbie here and posted initially on the wrong forum. There is no way to remove it after its posted so....I did post on the garage forum and got several suggestion...all of which helped in one way or another.

My problem, started like yours, with a completely worn out and partially missing firewall bushing...thanks again

Dennis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.