Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Mounted Oil Cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
I'm looking to add a second oil cooler at the back of the car/engine compartment...has anyone else mounted coolers in the back? If so, please post pictures and results. This is for engine oil but I'll have to plumb a cooler for the trans too - so either way. I'd prefer NOT to run lines to the front if I can get around that - somebody might confuse me with a conformist. Thanks!

PS: Of interest is how you routed air to the coolers too...

Tony
jmill
Here's one. Several more I'm sure if you search.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=cooler

Cracker
John - thank you. I am aware of many common methods and have searched the forum...thus my post. I'm hoping someone who has not posted their installs responds too. Are you're fans pushers? I'm guessing so based upon what you said...thanks!

T
ljubodraz
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2015, 06:16 PM) *

John - thank you. I am aware of many common methods and have searched the forum...thus my post. I'm hoping someone who has not posted their installs responds too. Are you're fans pushers? I'm guessing so based upon what you said...thanks!

T

Did you check out Pete Dubler's old tech article on Pelican Parts? Rear mount and the fan pulls if I remember correctly. Shows all parts and plumbing.
Cracker
Thanks. No I hadn't but I just did - that won't help me unfortunately. The one achilles heel with an LS (on track) is oil temperature - coolant is fine. I'm already running a very large, 36-row Setrab, mounted in the rear but not in "airflow". I thought the 850 cfm puller fan would be adequate to dissipate the heat. Wrong. I saw a high of 290 degree RETURNED oil, post cooler. It was not working. If I backed off the rpms just a little bit it dove down to about 260. I have controlled oil temp in LS's in the past but with front mounted (and much smaller) coolers. Its all about getting airflow through them. I'm plumbing a second, smaller 19 row unit with twin 3" ducts/shroud in the rear. In addition, I'm shrouding the input side of the large cooler and feeding it with two more 3" intake air. Time will tell but I think we can achieve the temps we need to see. If not, I have no choice but to run my coolers up front. I hope that doesn't happen but if that's what it takes. Oh well.

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time...I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd.

Tony

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Dec 23 2015, 09:45 PM) *

T

Did you check out Pete Dubler's old tech article on Pelican Parts? Rear mount and the fan pulls if I remember correctly. Shows all parts and plumbing.
patssle
http://imgur.com/a/6u4ew

My temps hit 240 once and I didn't try to push it any further before I had an external oil cooler. Now it never touches 210.

And slight note as the cooler is not braced against the muffler bracket anymore - I changed that around.
thelogo
[quote name='Cracker' date='Dec 23 2015, 07:00 PM' post='2280899']
Thanks. No I hadn't but I just did - that won't help me unfortunately. The one achilles heel with an LS (on track) is oil temperature - coolant is fine. I'm already running a very large, 36-row Setrab, mounted in the rear but not in "airflow". I thought the 850 cfm puller fan would be adequate to dissipate the heat. Wrong. I saw a high of 290 degree RETURNED oil, post cooler. It was not working. If I backed off the rpms just a little bit it dove down to about 260. I have controlled oil temp in LS's in the past but with front mounted (and much smaller) coolers. Its all about getting airflow through them. I'm plumbing a second, smaller 19 row unit with twin 3" ducts/shroud in the rear. In addition, I'm shrouding the input side of the large cooler and feeding it with two more 3" intake air. Time will tell but I think we can achieve the temps we need to see. If not, I have no choice but to run my coolers up front. I hope that doesn't happen but if that's what it takes. Oh well.

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time..

.I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd

I would think something mounted at the back off the trunk in a spoiler or rear side of Targa top could be the solution

But just think of it as a spitfire or p-51 mustange

A wing ,in this case downforce with a n a c a Duct with the
Heat exchanger and utilize the merideth effect

Or

Look at a 911 air cooled turbo

Pop the wing /hood/trunk

And there's a huge heat exchanger built in

But you don't see that

I think the
brant

What is your fan shroud like on the existing fan cooler?

I ran 3 different ducts to my rear tranny cooler and had the best temp results from a fan with a really good shroud

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2015, 08:00 PM) *

Although I'm sure all of this has been done at some time...I haven't seen a design/location that suits my needs yet. Its hard to be the "pioneer" sometimes...if my system works, I'll pass it along to the V8 crowd.

Tony

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Dec 23 2015, 09:45 PM) *

T

Cracker
Thanks! That is nice to see and hear. smilie_pokal.gif

Brant - The fan is a factory Setrab shroud unit (puller). My problem is the intake air for it is not shrouded, nor in any type of airflow. I'm going to build a topside shroud for the big cooler and duct it from airflow from under the chassis (from around the bellhousing). LS Motors are notorious for running insane oil temps but that doesn't mean its good for the motor - it is not.

With a little patience and time anything can be figured out but I've got a little more going on in the rear than most. A little higher hurdle, so to speak. Thanks for the ideas and insight!

Merry Christmas all!

Tony

QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 23 2015, 11:58 PM) *

http://imgur.com/a/6u4ew

My temps hit 240 once and I didn't try to push it any further before I had an external oil cooler. Now it never touches 210.

And slight note as the cooler is not braced against the muffler bracket anymore - I changed that around.

era vulgaris
This might give you some ideas...

Orange ducting that's attached to the oil cooler manifold goes to a NACA duct in the rear of the passenger side rocker cover and into the engine bay right under the fresh air grill. 5" thermostatically activated puller fans on the rear side of the oil cooler.
Obviously I'm running a T4, and I also don't race my car, but my oil temps are pretty rock solid around 200 degrees.
brant
what is the shroud like between the cooler and the fan?
it needs to be air tight, is it?

I tried 2 different ducts to collect air through a 4(?) inch tube
air through a tube made little difference.
but when I built the duct work and added the fan, I found the most difference.
and I disconnected all of the ram air ducts at that point.

here is version one of my duct and feeder tube, with trunk mounted cooler
(minimal effect)
Cracker
Thanks Era : I am planning on doing something similar to what you have done with the new and smaller cooler. Thanks.

Brant: The shroud for the puller fan is factory installed and tight...I haven't got a "shroud" yet on the intake side, opposite the fan. I am fabricating one over the next week and plan to feed it with two 3" "ram-air" ducks. So are you saying you ultimately removed the intake/ram air tube? I obviously already have the fan and hope that by shrouding the intake, adding forced air to the cooler + adding a second, smaller cooler that is ducted to ram-air, together they'll bring the temps down to a reasonable level. Sorry for the run on sentence...lol!

T
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif santa_smiley.gif popcorn[1].gif
barefoot
Go to the Lapuwali Classic forum, there's a whole thread on rear aux coolers.
Hank914
I have always wondered about an oil cooler integrated into the rear spoiler. Way external and visible, but maybe not this much:

Click to view attachment

Form before function, but always before beauty!
(Hint: it's supposed to be ugly)
Hank914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Dec 24 2015, 03:06 PM) *

I have always wondered about an oil cooler integrated into the rear spoiler. Way external and visible, but maybe not this much:

Click to view attachment

Form before function, but always before beauty!
(Hint: it's supposed to be ugly)

Maybe like this:

Click to view attachment

Cracker
Thanks you'all...I'll see whats possible when the new cooler arrives. Do you think the Tech Squad would have a problem with this??? blink.gif barf.gif

Click to view attachment
jmill
Long exposed external cooler lines up front are the new rage. They're taking over where "truck nutz" left off.

brant
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 24 2015, 08:42 AM) *

Brant: The shroud for the puller fan is factory installed and tight...I haven't got a "shroud" yet on the intake side, opposite the fan. I am fabricating one over the next week and plan to feed it with two 3" "ram-air" ducks. So are you saying you ultimately removed the intake/ram air tube? I obviously already have the fan and hope that by shrouding the intake, adding forced air to the cooler + adding a second, smaller cooler that is ducted to ram-air, together they'll bring the temps down to a reasonable level. Sorry for the run on sentence...lol!

T

yourtwin cooler should help
I only shrouded the fan side
I did remove both versions of my ram air hoses
I was running ram air with no fan
Your combination may work better than my setup
My 2nd ram air was a scoop mounted to hang out the passenger side window in direct and clean air. Even with that "frontal air" the 4 inch tube was insufficient

My oil temps came down more with the puller fan and no ram air

But keep trying different setups
You will solve it
Cracker
Brant - That is what I thought you were saying...conventional wisdom would say the pressure built at 100+ mph would greatly exceed the benefit of the fan (roughly 40 mph) and therefore hurt the coolers efficiency. However, if you've had the the opposite result, I'll give it a try. Thanks to all who have contributed and I'll keep you posted - it will be awhile, most likely, before I hit the track again but time will tell.

Tony

I "thought" this would be a decent location since its away from direct heat sources and exausting the coolers hot air downward, away from the intake plumbing. I'm going to try to leave this cooler in place and just direct fresh air into a shroud topside. I failed to share a picture and thought it might help visualize my current setup. Cheers!

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Why not in the fender well? If I didnt have my intake in my pass fender and my intercooler radiator in my driver fender thats what I would do... pretty essy to scoop cold air from under the fender.
Cracker
The main reason is access and size...this oil cooler is 17"x13"x4" (with fittings & fan) - it simply won't fit.

Tony

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 25 2015, 01:28 AM) *

Why not in the fender well? If I didnt have my intake in my pass fender and my intercooler radiator in my driver fender thats what I would do... pretty essy to scoop cold air from under the fender.
skier2.0
Trying to find some pictures of the stock 75 2.0l that ran the 1975 Sebring. I think it finished 9th in class. The only mods were the rear quarters were heated and beat out by Forest Grove Auto Body in the wash bay. Roll cage,seat, wider rims for racing rubber,fire system and a oil cooler that I think was mounted to the inside of the engine grill. It was just a test to show the endurance of the car. I worked for Bob&Al for over a decade great people.
Cracker
Okay. Here is what I've decided to do...to do what I should have done from the start!

Mount a triple set up a the front of the car. Here is my reasoning: 1) I haven't "short-cutted" (my own word!) anything to this point, (why compromise now?); 2) I have a design that I think will at least guarantee me the lowest possible oil temps - whatever that ends up being; and 3) its only money (and time), so why not?

Now, the only cooler I'll have mounted in the rear of the car will be for the transaxle. I just feel that anything I do in the rear is less than the best I do up front. I'll order the coolers, fittings, hose, etc. and start fabricating in the next week or so. I believe I have a super clean plan that I hope you'll will approve of - time will tell if it meets the cooling demands of Hot-Southern-Track days!

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in - it was instrumental in getting me to this point!

Happy New Year!

Tony
brant
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2015, 04:23 PM) *

Okay. Here is what I've decided to do...to do what I should have done from the start!

Mount a triple set up a the front of the car. Here is my reasoning: 1) I haven't "short-cutted" (my own word!) anything to this point, (why compromise now?); 2) I have a design that I think will at least guarantee me the lowest possible oil temps - whatever that ends up being; and 3) its only money (and time), so why not?

Now, the only cooler I'll have mounted in the rear of the car will be for the transaxle. I just feel that anything I do in the rear is less than the best I do up front. I'll order the coolers, fittings, hose, etc. and start fabricating in the next week or so. I believe I have a super clean plan that I hope you'll will approve of - time will tell if it meets the cooling demands of Hot-Southern-Track days!

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in - it was instrumental in getting me to this point!

Happy New Year!

Tony

Plus weight moved to the front is a really good thing!!!

Good plan and you won't have to risk repeating your work!!
Cracker
Yes Sir! The total core dimensions between the three coolers would equate to 21.75" x 11.25" - allot of surface area. I agree about moving weight to the front won't hurt...just for fun yesterday, I finally looked up the F/R weight of a Ferrari 458 & 360 - it is 42/58. Now my car isn't 458 (but its faster than one aktion035.gif ), but mine is currently...42/58! Not bad for a home built DIY project!

Thanks Brant! beerchug.gif

Tony

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 26 2015, 06:53 PM) *

Plus weight moved to the front is a really good thing!!!

Good plan and you won't have to risk repeating your work!!
andys
Tony,

Sorry to chime in a little late. For effective air flow across the cooler, there must exist a pressure differential between the intake side and the exhaust side, otherwise you'll realize very little effect. Ramming the air into the intake side is useless without an effective exhaust. Keep in mind that the air flow will take the path of least resistance, so if there's no pressure differential, the air will simply flow somewhere else. Rear mounting of a cooler poses a problem short of some creative intake ducting (since the rear is more accessible to low pressure). I my own experience, I've found more to be gained from managing the exhaust side than the intake side. You are probably aware of all this, but had to mention it.

Perhaps you might consider mounting your cooler to the wing or wing supports so that it is in a free flowing stream of air. Also, you could tastefully integrate the cooler into the wing, with the intake on the high pressure side, and the exhaust on the low pressure side. You'll need plenty of air flow through the cooler to keep that LSx oil temp in check when on the track.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.