Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your thoughts on fire extinguishers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I've been thinking of mounting a fire extinguisher just in front the driver seat. I see that Pelican Parts has a sale on the Helgard series extinguishers. It seems like that topic came up be for but can't seem to find it so I'm looking for thoughts on it, to or not to and which one is the way to go if so. Thanks
thieuster
Don't know about this brand (unknown here in Europe) but be sure that you NEVER use a powder fire extinguisher in a car. The powder is very, very corrosive. Despite that, many of the cheap extinguishers that are sold in automotive shops are these powder extinguishers. Same goes for extinguishers in your workshop off course!

A good alternative is Halotron.

Menno
eitnurg
By far the best is Halon (ie the gas that fills it). Usually denoted by a green coloured bottle (or red with a green flash). Halon is a CFC and production stopped a couple of decades ago. Current extinguishers are from recycled stock of the gas: theoretically unavailable for many years, they are still used in aviation as simply nothing else comes close. They are out there, if you look in the right places.
Mark Henry
Bigger is better and Halotron is not Halon, it still leaves a residue.

Both sizes sold should get you out of the cockpit, but they won't put out a substantial fire.
In a substantial fire they may knock it down once, but reignition is very likely. Many fires are fuel pump under the car, pop your load in the wrong place and you may as well be pissing in the wind.

Chemical FE's will fuchs up you car, I had one in the VW bus, kid hit it just a little spritz in the backseat and my amp and speakers were toast. I was lucky that was all I lost.
Halon is getting super expensive and the hard install foam systems are over $5-600+ and can not be exposed to freezing temps.
Halon dissipates real fast, so again reignition is likely.

That said it's better than nothing.

Another one to look into is the Blazecut system sold by Jogr.
Coondog
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Dec 24 2015, 04:20 AM' post='2280985']

pop your load in the wrong place and you may as well be pissing in the wind.

Sorry but I had to go there....... av-943.gif

EdwardBlume
Sounds like changing fuel lines regularly is a better option....
Mark Henry
[quote name='Coondog' date='Dec 24 2015, 07:51 AM' post='2280992']
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Dec 24 2015, 04:20 AM' post='2280985']

pop your load in the wrong place and you may as well be pissing in the wind.

Sorry but I had to go there....... av-943.gif
[/quote]

biggrin.gif
Big Len
How about CO2 extinguishers? They leave no residue.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 24 2015, 08:01 AM) *

How about CO2 extinguishers? They leave no residue.

Again better than nothing, but like Halon it dissipates real fast, so again reignition is likely with a large fire.
It would beat it down, but once the can is empty any small spark and the fire will come right back.
Small bottles don't give you much fighting power/time, a 2 pounder is still a small extinguisher. A 1lb is almost a waste of time.
Cracker
I'm for them...

T
NeunEinVier
Never knew about the corrosive nature of typical extinguishers so it's definitely time to upgrade. Are these "good enough" for someone who doesn't want to hunt for Halon?
http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

"HalGuard™ is no ordinary automotive fire extinguisher. It contains Halotron® 1, electrically non-conductive "clean" extinguishing agent that rapidly turns into a gas. Halotron® 1 has passed extensive testing by Underwriters Laboratories, and meets FAA requirements. It can be found on commercial aircraft, and is used by airport fire fighters and on the flight line."
Amphicar770
Between now and New Years, Zoro tools usually has a 25% - 30% sale on everything including halotron extinguishers with free shipping. I stocked up and have yet to find better pricing.
NeunEinVier
^ Good to know, thanks. I've bought from Zoro in the past and had a good experience.
patssle
you NEVER use a powder fire extinguisher in a car. The powder is very, very corrosive

I bet fire does more damage than powder! wink.gif
brant
Halotron is 50 percent as effective as halon

Make sure you increase the bottle size if you go that route
I went up form a 2.5lb to a 5 lb in the street car when I freshened things last year

Also know that this works by displacing oxygen. On an open flame like an engine bay with a breeze you can not displace the oxygen long. The perfect setting for use is a computer room that is sealed and small. That's what the application was supposed to be. So don't expect it to surpress the fire once it dissipates into the atmosphere

Finally and most important: you will suffocate from halon much quicker than you think when it displaces the oxygen in your lungs. Get away from it. I had a friend with a 914/6 race car. He had a grid fire. He pulled the key for the bottle and started to take his belts off as the bottle was dumping. He passed out in the seat of a stationary car from the halon before he had finshed taking his belts off. The car was still burning and others had to drag him out of the car while he was unconscious. The car burned to the ground. Don't run a nozzle in the cockpit of a race car with a halon bottle (mine is now capped because of my friends experience). Don't dump the bottle while the car is still rolling. The breeze from motion will reduce the effectveness and you may pass out. Stop the car and trigger the system as you are safely out of the car
skier2.0
Hand held not very effective see results of 2 5lbs.Click to view attachment
skier2.0
See above Photo note L/R the magnesium wheel (its the lump) no normal extinguisher will stop a magnesium fire.
wes
More confusing by the moment, still reading.
thieuster
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 24 2015, 08:42 PM) *

you NEVER use a powder fire extinguisher in a car. The powder is very, very corrosive

I bet fire does more damage than powder! wink.gif

Indeed, Halon is far more effective than Halotron. But halon is no longer allowed in many countries (including all EU countries). CO2 is also an alternative.

Have a look at your office/employers computers and data storage facility. Try to find out what kind of extinghuiser is used there. Most are CO2 or halotron. Absolutely no powder!

I agree that fire can do more damage than powder, but sadly it not 'or' but 'and': after putting out a small fire, the damage done by powder residues on all possible spots on your car will cause havoc. When you use powder inside a workshop, it's the end of your tools and there's a big chance that you'll have to replace all electrical power components like wall sockets etc. Don't ask how I know this...

Again, NEVER use powder.

Menno

Mark Henry
I did a fare bit of research on this not long ago

For a race car (drain system in winter or heated storage) or if you live in a area that never freezes a foam system is best, but not cheap.

I'm likely going to use a blazecut plus make damn sure all fuel lines and clamps are in good order and battery is secured.

Coondog
Click to view attachment
vw505
You know what's really bad for your car, standing on the side of the road watching it burn because you didnt have a fire extinguisher. If all you have is dry powder and have to use it. Take the car home and wash it off.
Coondog
QUOTE(vw505 @ Dec 25 2015, 09:14 AM) *

You know what's really bad for your car, standing on the side of the road watching it burn because you didnt have a fire extinguisher. If all you have is dry powder and have to use it. Take the car home and wash it off.

Firefighter Greg agrees on this. Your car catches on fire and if you put it out with a Dry Chem fire ext, the FD will be enroute so you will be able to wash off the powder withen minutes. Do I spray the Dry Chem down my carbs. He'll No !!
Please remember the heat from the fire will do more damage to any exposed electrical systems then a dry chem Ext. Plus your cars going to be FUched up anyway so residue wil be one of the last things I am going to worry about.

Let's take a little Fire 101 class

It takes 3 things to make fire. Heat-Fuel-o2 take any of those away and fire goes out.
Gasoline has a flash point of -45 so rekindles from hot services after you have knocked down the flames is likely.
It's the vapors that burn not the liquid.
When you buy a Fire Ext you will see numbers like 2A-10BC 10A- 20BC. Most people refer to these as 10 or 20 pound Extinguishers. In reality the 2A means it will put out 2 square feet of a type A fire "ordinary combustibles" 10BC means it will put out 10 square feet of a type B "flammable liquid or type C electrical fire"

Just saying in my 31 years of putting out fires I am grabbing a dry chem. Remember it's all about knocking down the flames then keep a agent on the fuel that surpresses the vapors. Does the residue suck....Of course, but again if your cars on fire from a fuel leak you got bigger problems then cleaning up a mess.

jim_hoyland
What size extinguisher would work on this ?

IPB Image
Coondog
Well when all else fails !!!!!!

Click to view attachment
thieuster
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 25 2015, 08:38 PM) *

What size extinguisher would work on this ?

IPB Image

I would move from the 'E' (extinguisher) to the 'I' (insurance)! Luckily, mine is properly insured.

Menno
iamchappy
Best bet an onboard system and a hand held just in case you have to take one with you to help someone else.
wes
The onboard system looks like the best but I'm guessing that would be a pretty penny and I don't think that I'll be doing any serious racing which I'm pretty sure that's meant for. I've seen that sort of setup on boats.
I do like the setup with the extinguisher in front of the seat just what I have in mind. So what did you go with on that one?
Mark Henry
Looks like halon to me.
Coondog
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 25 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Looks like halon to me.

I am going with Purple K it is a B/C extinguisher. It's the chemicals in the A that is harmful. Amazon has a 2.5 pound purple K extinguisher for 48.00. I am going to mount two in the front hood area. If that doesn't put out a fire them I am in trouble.

Another tip if you suspect a fire in the engine compartment get the engine lid open ASAP. The pic of the 914 shows me the guy tried spraying the agent upward in the wheel well. Look at the fire pattern and all the agent in and around that area. That was not a proper application as the fire probably damaged the cable and latch so he could not get access to the engine compartment.

1. Turn off car
2. Release engine lid latch
3. Grab fire ext
4. PASS................... PULL PIN. AIM. SQUEZZE HANDLE. SWEEP BACK AND FORTH.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 25 2015, 10:22 PM) *

It's the chemicals in the A that is harmful.

Most class A extinguishers here are just tap water confused24.gif
stugray
I am just about to buy a new Handheld FE for the race car.
I have a built in Firecharger system with three nozzles - Fuel Cell/pump, drivers crotch, engine bay.
I also carry a handheld on the center console as an extra precaution (and in case someone else's car has an incident)

So I was going to get the H3R Performance HalGuard 1.4 lb bottle.
Anyone have anything good or bad about that choice as a backup?

IPB Image

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg100c

Another reason I am replacing is that I broke the plastic nozzle off of my current cheap extinguisher by putting my hand down on it and supporting my weight.
This unit looks more sturdy and comes with a bracket.
Coondog
I ordered a 5 pound Purple K for gasoline related fires and a 2.5 pound Halotron for interior electrical fires. I will make custom mounts on the spare tire cover.

I agree with a previous post, proper maintenance is the best preventive measure.
GWclassics
Look after your fuel lines including the ones under the tank. If you are not sure when they were last replaced its time to do it now.

If you do have to put out a fire chances are it will not be your own so carry a hand held. Mount it where you will be able to reach it before you exit the car. That way if your own car does catch fire you will already be holding it after jumping out. You won't have to face the dilemma - do I go back for it or is it safer to stand well back.

The only times I've used mine in 30 odd years was on someone else's car and on a tent that got ignited by a BBQ.
NeunEinVier
Maybe the driver "disappeared" to go buy a fire extinguisher?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads4/91...11107201396.jpg
Coondog
Classic...... Never stand in front or rear of a vehicle fire. 1970s and 80s had bumpers with shock absorbers that when heated exploded and shot the bumper forward usually breaking the firefighters legs.

914Next
Congrats Tony! I'm sure she'd actually be thrilled that you are so proud of her.

Sara and I are at 12 years. I have the best of all worlds. She loves my cars and even has a '68 mustang of her own that she says will go to her grave with with her. She loves to do car related stuff but still happily gives me my space to do it on my own.

She turned 50 this year....holding up far better than I am.

Click to view attachment
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 29 2015, 05:59 PM) *

Classic...... Never stand in front or rear of a vehicle fire. 1970s and 80s had bumpers with shock absorbers that when heated exploded and shot the bumper forward usually breaking the firefighters legs.

That's awful, hope their training warns them about standing within range of 1973 to 1982 5-mph bumpers.
StratPlayer
Anything is better than nothing...... beerchug.gif
anderssj
icon_bump.gif

Today I received a Pelican email about an "Element Fire Extinguisher" group buy:

Click to view attachment

Link: https://pelicanparts.us5.list-manage.com/tr...mp;e=e3b4440dfe

The way I read this, you have to buy 2 to participate.

Regardless, I'm thinking of going this route as my old HALON unit needs refill/rebuilding.

The Element looks pretty impressive for a hand-held unit, but it's not a "blaze cut." On the other hand, this would be easily moved from one old car to another.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Thanks in advance!
campbellcj
TLG Auto in N. Hollywood (Marco) now carries and endorses the Element. I've not seen and definitely not tested one myself, yet.
Superhawk996
I'll be the voice of dissent.

Not a fan of fire bottles in the passenger compartment. Usually a mounted by flimsy brackets that fail to hold the bottle in a crash.

Now you have a loose 5-10 pound projectile in the passenger compartment.

I've had the opportunity to see both sides of this in play. As previously stated by others a small hand held is of limited use on a fuel fire. In my case, it wasn't enough to put out the fire. sad.gif

I've also seen vehicles in track day related crashes where the fire bottle came loose. Luckily driver had a helmet on. biggrin.gif

Put in Trunk or Frunk. Maybe one in each but I'd keep it out of the passenger compartment.

oakdalecurtis
Here's my fire solution(s). I have a BlazeCut system installed under the lid. I do not use a rain tray since I NEVER drive in the wet. I painted the BlazeCut tube black so that it does not show through the engine cover. You might also notice the engine deck lid steel cable restraint on the left side so that when I pop the lid, the hinges aren't slammed and worked until breakage ensues.
And just in case I have a cabin fire, I have a Kidde extinguisher inside my custom built center console box..... piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Coondog
popcorn[1].gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 7 2019, 11:29 AM) *

I'll be the voice of dissent.

Not a fan of fire bottles in the passenger compartment. Usually a mounted by flimsy brackets that fail to hold the bottle in a crash.

Now you have a loose 5-10 pound projectile in the passenger compartment.

I've also seen vehicles in track day related crashes where the fire bottle came loose. Luckily driver had a helmet on. biggrin.gif

Put in Trunk or Frunk. Maybe one in each but I'd keep it out of the passenger compartment.

In my country you can't pass tech inspection if your extinguisher isn't motorsport rated,the same size/type household ones only have flimsy metal mounting brackets,my 2 motorsport rated one's have a much heaver construction and very sturdy over-centre clips,there is a difference in price but well worth it to know they can't come loose.
Dion
When I’m done with my 6 build (is that even possible?) I plan on using this....
burton73
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 6 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Here's my fire solution(s). I have a BlazeCut system installed under the lid. I do not use a rain tray since I NEVER drive in the wet. I painted the BlazeCut tube black so that it does not show through the engine cover. You might also notice the engine deck lid steel cable restraint on the left side so that when I pop the lid, the hinges aren't slammed and worked until breakage ensues.
And just in case I have a cabin fire, I have a Kidde extinguisher inside my custom built center console box..... piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I think this may be the ticket but in the cabin Element Fire Extinguisher Group Buy and Rennline's Newest Fire Extinguisher Mount!

This may be the set up I will be using for my 6

Bob B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.