Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm travelling to Atlanta Georgia soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I leave Monday the 21st on a 2 week racing trip. driving.gif
Two days driving to Cleveland Ga where I hope to do some dyno testing and install my new RAT 1.8L powerplant!
Then I am entered in the SCCA National at Road Atlanta on the 26th, 27th. It's open to public spectators on the 27th only.
I'll be hanging around Jake's place for a couple more days, then I head north to Johnson City Tennessee to visit my brother Charley. (He has the Lotus Europa I mentioned here last fall.) On the weekend of April 2,3 I will be at Summit Point for another National race. Spectators are welcome on Sunday there too.
If anyone on the forum is nearby I would love to have you stop in and say hi! wavey.gif
william harris
Hi Chris: Be sure and take my shopping list to Jake's shop! clap.gif And if you see any of those light weight connecting rods lying around, pick up a set for me! laugh.gif Good Luck at the races. welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
grasshopper
see you at summit point!
redshift
Dood... if I can make it, even for lunch, or dinner...

smile.gif

I don't think so, but man, I'll try. I have a guitar that needs delivering to Cleveland.

M
scotty914
chris, you know there is a reward for a real pic of miles, not his mikez profile but his real face.

also i might be at summit point to see ya, maybe even with the porscharu
redshift
Oh, if I can make it, won't be in a teener..

smile.gif

I am blasting my car into pieces Saturday, video to follow. I have a friend that has a explosives/demo license, and he has to test load strength, should be spectacular.

He's also a member of the cannon club. He has a 5" breech loader. wink.gif

M
914werke
Whoa clap.gif Just so happins Ill also be flyin into Atl. then driving to Ft. Benning on the 23rd. be ther prolly till the end of the week. Dont know about the geography but it would be cool to touch base. smile.gif
Brett W
Depending on where I stand with these two race cars at the end of the week I may ride over on Sunday. What time is your race?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Mar 15 2005, 10:02 PM)
see you at summit point!

i might be at summit point to see ya, maybe even with the porscharu

Excellent!
if I can make it, won't be in a teener..

I don't care. I'll be in the vicinity for a whole week, so even if you can't come on race day, come anyway!
Dont know about the geography but it would be cool to touch base

Fort Benning is close to 80 miles south of Atl. The track is about 20 miles northeast of Atl, and Aircooled Tech is a bit further north. Hartsfield Airport is on the south side of the city. See what you can work out!
What time is your race?

I'm in race group 5 (of 6) so my race will be mid-late afternoon.
Jake Raby
I'll be in Chris' pit so if anyone stops by we can shake hands...

The shop/store is permenantly closed to visitors though..
ChrisFoley
For anyone who wants to get in touch with me here's my verizon cell phone # 860-306-9917.
If you can't come to the race we can have lunch or dinner somewhere.
groot
Good luck, Chris!

Let me know how Summit is for gearing. I've got a "V" 5th and would like know if I can run it there (National on 9/10 July).
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (groot @ Mar 16 2005, 09:13 AM)
Good luck, Chris!

Let me know how Summit is for gearing. I've got a "V" 5th and would like know if I can run it there (National on 9/10 July).

Thanks Kevin,
Your "V" gear should be fine for your RAT engine. Actually, Steve Limbert recommends a "U" fifth for an engine shifted at 8500 rpm. The "V" could be too short for a low revving engine.
I think the race you mentioned is a MARRS regional. AFAIK the NEDIV National I am attending is the only one at Summit Point.
JmuRiz
Maybe we can get the NoVA/DC/MD crew to come see the Summit Point, WV race. How cool would it be to have a handful of 914 guys chearing you on? I'll work on it.
jdogg
Chris-
If you need a break or a place to stay for the night on your way through NC, give a holler!! We're about 45 minutes off I95.

JmuRiz
He might shoot up 81 if he's going from Ga to Summit point (WV). If he's doing a tour he might take 95.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jdogg @ Mar 17 2005, 01:04 PM)
Chris-
If you need a break or a place to stay for the night on your way through NC, give a holler!! We're about 45 minutes off I95.

Jason,
45 minutes off I-95...
that's a bit out of the way...
if we were travelling on I-95...
but since we are going to be on US-1 when we go through your region,
I might find a way to take you up on your offer. smile.gif
I looked on the map.
It would be Monday (3/21) night on the way down.
It's about 600 miles to Youngsville from here and I hadn't planned on going that far in one day. The plan was to stop just south of Petersburg VA for the night. I plan to visit some old neighbors who now live in Southern Pines. They are expecting us for lunch on Tuesday.
I have your office and home #'s in my cell so I'll call you if we're not too far behind schedule.

Nathan,
You're right. We're taking I-81 North partly because Summit Point is just off 81, but mostly because Johnson City is right off 81 too.
It would be fantastic to have a cheering section at the race! beerchug.gif I'm in Group 2 at Summit so it will be before lunch.
groot
Chris, you're absolutely right.... somehow I got the 9/10 July race at Summit as a National. Now, I need to search the schedules for another out-of-region race.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!
groot
Chris, what gearing do you run at the Glen?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (groot @ Mar 18 2005, 08:10 AM)
Chris, what gearing do you run at the Glen?

I don't fiddle with gear ratios between races and I only have one box at present. A,F,KA,Q,X.
My current tranny doesn't have the best (compromise) ratios for a high revving engine but it will be ok. I have a new box planned but don't have some of the gears yet. It should be online later this season.
My plan is to modify the mainshaft and weld an I gear in place of the F. I expect 3,4,5 will be something like L,O,V.
With those two boxes I will be at least close at all the tracks I go to.
Best ratios for the Glen are something like A,K,N,P,V.
jdogg
Chris-

If you are going on US1, you will pass about 2 miles from my house!!

We are about an hour and a half from Petersburg, and yes, it is probably 600 miles on the nose from your shop to my doorstep, it could take anywhere from 10 to 17 hours, haha. Average is 12.

Don't hesitate to call, the door is wide open for you. beerchug.gif
groot
I picked up some gears from Ferg a few months ago and might have some to help you round out your options... but not until I switch to a Hewland.
ChrisFoley
I'm nearly ready to go - except for a few small things:
I have to finish hooking up the "old" engine/exhaust/axles, add oil and fire it up.
I have about 10 "small" projects to finish on the car in preparation for racing.
I have to get the truck charging system functioning.
I have to load the truck with everything I might need for the next 2 weeks.
I'm trying to get my annual inspection done this afternoon at a local tech day instead of waiting for a stranger to give me the third degree at the track in Atlanta.
I'm going to a wedding Sunday.
It's supposed to snow here on Sunday.
There were some unexpected and unavoidable issues at Raby's Aircooled Technology with my new engine, so I will be there to finish assembling it (attaching peripherals) and prepping it for the dyno.
I finished prepping a roll cage kit for Jake's 914 to install while I'm there. Anyone know the best way to remove Line-X? screwy.gif (don't ask!)
I got almost all the work done at my shop that I was supposed to complete before going away. All the exhaust systems were finished and out the door, except for one heat exchanger to be finished when I return.
Everything I ordered from various suppliers has arrived, including my new Rennshift that I will install while on the trip. Many thanks to James Adams! The new and improved product looks awesome btw! smilie_pokal.gif
My finger is healing nicely and I didn't even get the antibiotic prescription filled. I'll have to pull the stitches myself during the trip. Except for having trouble signing my name I hardly let the injury slow me down.
It's going to be close but I think a Monday am departure is still realistic! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Damn Chris.. Sounds like you have a lot to do!

The issues we hit here with the engine were serious time killers but we should still be able to stay on schedule. We may not get quite so much dyno time but thats it.

I am looking forward to having Chris down this way for a while to show him some southern hospitality..... And I' am looking forward to that cage in my 914. Then all she'll need is a paint job and set of flares and be good to go!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 19 2005, 09:41 AM)
Damn Chris.. Sounds like you have a lot to do!

Yup, lately I've been getting nearly the same amount of sleep you usually do - 4 1/2 hours a night.

I didn't make the deadline for the annual tech inspection yesterday. They stopped at 3; I started the engine at 2:30 in the garage; it's a half hour drive to the Kart Trak where the Tech was being held. That left me short by the amount of time it takes to install the front & rear deck lids and load the trailer. sad.gif
No problem though, I'll just have to have it done at Road Atlanta. I've tried to keep multiple options open for each step of this trip.
One thing that I have only one option with is my '85 Ford E350 tow rig. Today I have to fix the charging system or else. I already replaced the alternator and voltage regulator. I'll look for a bad wire next.
Actually I have another option - leave later - we have plenty of time in the travel schedule still.

One thing I am very happy about is my new oil pump. Here's a picture of it in the car.
URY914
Chris,
Is the long gold in-line tube a filter?

Paul
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 20 2005, 09:29 AM)
Chris,
Is the long gold in-line tube a filter?

Paul

Yes. It's a screen filter to prevent engine debris (from a catastrophic failure) from going forward to the oil coolers.
The picture is a little deceiving. The line to that filter comes from the outlet of the primary scavenge pump located in the stock pump location.
The external pump has two stages, for scavenging each valve cover.
I'm not real happy with the layout of the oil lines at this point because there is too much going on in one small space. I'll work on that when I have more time.
Brett W
I am planning on coming over Sunday morning early. I should be there by 9-10AM. If you need anything before then.
SGB
smilie_pokal.gif
GOOD LUCK CHRIS!!!
smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
A big thanks to all who came by the track in Atlanta to visit,
to all the wellwishers on the forum,
and especially to Jake and Len for their assistance.

They dove right into the hot engine compartment in an effort to isolate the problem. I'm just sorry it didn't work out better on our first meeting.

Pete and I have been getting a little R&R at my brother's place while we take care of some minor issues with the car. The oil leak was a loose valve cover. I switched to the aluminum covers because of my external scavenge pump and I didn't get enough loctite on the bolts I guess. It was a good opportunity to check the valve adjustment anyway.
We found a cracked cooling fan bracket and I went to a local welding shop this morning. The owner very graciously allowed me to use his TIG welder.gif at no charge so we will have that resolved before we continue on. I left the other unit at Jake's shop by mistake (still attached to the engine), not thinking it would come in handy right away. screwy.gif
Things might be starting to look a little better. Summit Point isn't as fast a track as RA and I've raced there a few times before. With a little luck I'll have a good race on Sunday.
I'm looking forward to meeting the local forum members who come out. One note though: I won't be as social chatsmiley.gif while we are supposed to be working on the car as I was at Road Atlanta. Normally I rely on my wife to help me stay focused on my work because I like to talk and often get behind schedule. Without her on my crew for this trip it has been an additional challenge for me. She's the best. grouphug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.