Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now the dash pad (not the top)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hmssaab
All set on the dash top install. Thanks for all the insight.
As for as the pad between the dash top and the glass, can the front of the pad just be tucked down in the slot and not wrapped around the front edge of the dash, with the gasket covering things up?
Harry
76-914
QUOTE(hmssaab @ Dec 24 2015, 09:10 AM) *

All set on the dash top install. Thanks for all the insight.
As for as the pad between the dash top and the glass, can the front of the pad just be tucked down in the slot and not wrapped around the front edge of the dash, with the gasket covering things up?
Harry

Yes. It's more work though. Leave it long where it goes beneath the dash at the gage cluster hump. This will allow you to pull the vinyl once the gage cluster is removed. Use your old material as an aid in locating the defrost vent cutouts. More than likely the old material does not fully encircle the defrost funnel but you have enough material to do so now. I recommend you do this because you won't be able to glue where the factory did and this will help hold it in place. Try to leave at least 12mm extra to tuck under. FWIT, you can loosen the 10mm bolts to adjust the defrost funnels if they are too close to the windshield.
dangrouche
Afraid not. if you are trying to tuck that front end of the padded vinyl, you will have a hard time "stuffing" the vinyl beneath the seal and the windshield 1. Windshield must be out 2. new molded seal is installed on top of the padded vinyl edge 3. New windshield installed on top of it all.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=99470&hl=
wes
Had my windshield out for painting which made it fairly easygoing.
srreality
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 24 2015, 10:46 AM) *

Afraid not. if you are trying to tuck that front end of the padded vinyl, you will have a hard time "stuffing" the vinyl beneath the seal and the windshield 1. Windshield must be out 2. new molded seal is installed on top of the padded vinyl edge 3. New windshield installed on top of it all.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=99470&hl=

This thread addresses part of a problem that I'm approach, so I thought I would butt in with a question.

My windshield is already out, new seal on order as is the padding and vinyl to replace the area between the windshield and the front edge of the dash top. Do I need to loosen any nuts/bolts on the main dashboard to ease tucking the vinyl underneath under its front edge? The dash itself is in good shape, so is the vinyl in front of it, but the padding is shot. I've considered trying to just replace the padding, but if it's glued down under the vinyl that would complicate matters! Thoughts and/or advise?
Darren C
If you have all new parts on order (seal, padding and vinyl) with your windshield out, you'd be foolish not to change everything, as once the windshield is back in, it will be too late.
I'd take the 4 x M6 nuts off the dash top (access from the Trunk) and pry the dash up a little (you may find its stuck down initially) to aid getting the vinyl tucked in and around the vents easier. (This is based upon my guess that you don't want to take the dash completely out?)
You'll need to take the solid dash top off as the vinyl is glued under it. There's plenty of "how to" info on here.
Once off, remove the vinyl and foam pad, clean up (maybe repaint the vents) and then replace with new foam and vinyl. If it's not pre cut vinyl, use the old as a template and give yourself some extra at the base of the windsheild and around the vents to tuck under. You may be lucky with the 4 M6 nuts off to get a good tuck under and glue down. Otherwise the rubber seal will help keep it all in place with the windshield back in.
Don't rush it, take your time, you have a great opportunity to do a good job with the glass out.
Mikey914
As far as getting the tuck in the seal. My seal is a thermoplastic and you can heat with a hair dryer to get it soft enough to tuck it. Made it that way for this specifically.
srreality
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 4 2016, 03:20 PM) *

As far as getting the tuck in the seal. My seal is a thermoplastic and you can heat with a hair dryer to get it soft enough to tuck it. Made it that way for this specifically.

Your seal is on my shopping list - - - I've already bought a number of items from you!
I just realized I didn't order that seal.............ordered a front trunk seal and the dash pad repair "kit" from you.............now I need to order the seal!
srreality
QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 4 2016, 02:32 PM) *

If you have all new parts on order (seal, padding and vinyl) with your windshield out, you'd be foolish not to change everything, as once the windshield is back in, it will be too late.
I'd take the 4 x M6 nuts off the dash top (access from the Trunk) and pry the dash up a little (you may find its stuck down initially) to aid getting the vinyl tucked in and around the vents easier. (This is based upon my guess that you don't want to take the dash completely out?)
You'll need to take the solid dash top off as the vinyl is glued under it. There's plenty of "how to" info on here.
Once off, remove the vinyl and foam pad, clean up (maybe repaint the vents) and then replace with new foam and vinyl. If it's not pre cut vinyl, use the old as a template and give yourself some extra at the base of the windsheild and around the vents to tuck under. You may be lucky with the 4 M6 nuts off to get a good tuck under and glue down. Otherwise the rubber seal will help keep it all in place with the windshield back in.
Don't rush it, take your time, you have a great opportunity to do a good job with the glass out.

Yes, I'm trying to avoid taking out the dash!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.