Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Welding question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I found some rust in my long (how strange). The hole is about 2" x 8" after cutting out the rust sawzall-smiley.gif . Should I cut a piece of metal the same size (pain in the ass) and butt weld, or can I cut an over sized piece and weld it over the hole. welder.gif
Bleyseng
Either way that suits you. Butt weld if you are restoring the LE. Patch panels work the best I think if you drill 1/4" holes every 1 1/2" on the overlap flap and puddle weld and then weld the outside by seam welding.

Geoff
ruddyboys
Thanks Geoff, I think I will overlap with the holes drilled, the patch will be hidden anyway. aktion035.gif
riverman
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 15 2005, 09:25 AM)
Either way that suits you. Butt weld if you are restoring the LE. Patch panels work the best I think if you drill 1/4" holes every 1 1/2" on the overlap flap and puddle weld and then weld the outside by seam welding.

Geoff

agree.gif
TravisNeff
Sounds like a reasonable repair, that will be plenty strong.

Butt welding in the patch will not be any more work than cutting to size, however.
xsboost90
but welding would def keep from rusting as easily, since the metal to metal leaves places for moisture to hide. If you do overlap, you may look into some 3m weld through primer for longevity issues, and try to coat the inside afterwards...yeah.
bondo
Here's what I did. It was a pain, but not THAT bad. Only took half a day.

Hole
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.