Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to keep the rust off your rotors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I have a new set of rotors I had on the white car, only have about 500 miles on them. Transferred them over to the silver car and they are getting rusty around the hub area. I bead blasted them clean & wonder what I can do to keep them this way. Do you think that hitting them with Metal ready will help for semi-long term protection?

I could hit it with high temp paint instead, but if I can keep the look of the metal - I am all for it. What do you think?
sanman
Grey Cast POR 15
lapuwali
I doubt many coatings would survive the heat for long. Rotors are a consumable, and if you lose one to terminal rust, you didn't drive the car enough. wink.gif

Light surface rust is inevitable, and I'd not worry about it.
Rhodes71/914
Dirve the car and use the brakes.

I know, I'm a smart ass.
TravisNeff
I am not talking about the disk surface, but the hub area. Yes it is a consumable, just trying to find a way to keep them looking nice for the time being.
xsboost90
get some cast coat paint, duplicolor or likewise, sand it , spray it, looks like bare metal w/o all the rust...
Gint
I powder coated the hat sections clear on one set I did. Held up for a good long time (until I sold the car anyway).
Rough_Rider
Most paints even high temp one's will eventually flake off. Be warned a side effect of painting is reduced heat transfer. The paint apparently traps heat in the rotor. I guess its the same principal used by the ceramic coatings on exhausts.

Cadium Plating is a possible solution but don't know how it'd cope with track usage. I have it on a street car & the rotors still look shiney new after 12 months.

Other solutions, 2 piece rotors with aluminium hats. Or like the early mark 1 Lotus Elises use metal matrix rotors..
TravisNeff
Powder coating sounds promising, but I am too impatient to wait. So either a high temp paint and then repaint later down the road, or try my luck at Metal Ready. that should be good for a few months or so, no? By then I am sure it's not going to be a big deal for me if it starts looking used and normal....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 15 2005, 09:43 AM)
or try my luck at Metal Ready.

metal ready *should* work ... but you have to apply it to the surface rust and it'll turn dark, not shiny. once it's dry you'll need to wash off the excess MR with water, otherwise it might burn up.
but the result should be a rust-protecting layer ...

cool.gif Andy
gregrobbins
Stay away from water. mueba.gif
TravisNeff
I can always put a chunk of lead on the rotor, at least it will keep the barnacles at bay
teenrookie
I was looking at this stuff at the ever expensive Griots for the exact application.

Anyone try this?
tommy914
yes.

I got it for the muffler, but it seems to work nicely on the brake rotor hub.

Brushing it on made it easier to avoid all the other parts.
teenrookie
biggrin.gif Thanks, I will order some tonight.
TravisNeff
looks nice to me! I am swapping parts around and in the process I am cleaning them up when I install them, easier now than later. And in about 6 months it will be filthy and it will either be easier to keep clean or I just won't care..

I went with a silver high temp paint I had sitting around the garage, good enough for me.
alauder
I Zinc plated mine. Along with the Calipers and hardware.
Got the splash shields powder coated.

My project got put on hold or a few weeks as I just broke my collar bone snow boarding! headbang.gif
TravisNeff
Looks very nice, I bead blasted my sheilds and just gave it a coat of rattle can satin black. You know you'll have to do something about that wheel bearing cap now, heh
alauder
Oops.
TravisNeff
Cripes! that gives me the willies...
azbill
Oh just grease them up and slip and slid on through biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.