Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing harness seatbelt crossbar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
Hey all,
I'm looking at getting a better restraint system for my car , i.e seatbelt crossbar and a decent set of black 4 pt racing harnesses. I don't know where to purchase the crossbar. Do any of you have an idea on the price of these, if it is too high I'm going to get out the welder and make my own. I'm not going to race my car, just want to make sure any occupants are safer while out tooling around or going to a show. Before the admins might snatch this post and move it to the want ads. Do any of you have a package deal for sale, that you aren't using? I would rather give my money to a member than to an outside source.

Much appreciate it!
Series9
Don't use a harness bar, use the firewall. Like this:
Series9
and:
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 15 2005, 09:05 AM)
Don't use a harness bar, use the firewall. Like this:

I have a question. Is there a best way to determine where to drill for those mounting bolts? I want to install a 5 point belt in my car for AXing. I really haven't done any research on these belts yet or how to do installs.
Series9
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 15 2005, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 15 2005, 09:05 AM)
Don't use a harness bar, use the firewall.  Like this:

I have a question. Is there a best way to determine where to drill for those mounting bolts? I want to install a 5 point belt in my car for AXing. I really haven't done any research on these belts yet or how to do installs.

It should be as close to level with the top of your shoulders as is practical. There is a max down-angle that's safe, but I don't remember.

I'm sure someone will chime in.
Steve Thacker
Joe,
Appreciate the heads up. I'll have to look around the homestead and find some plate steel. Yours looks more safe than the crossbar. My only problem is that I have factory seats and there is no provision to keep the straps up in the proper position near the shoulders.
Series9
Here you go:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/inde...php?cPath=21_75
Steve Thacker
Cheap prices.... I love cheap. wub.gif laugh.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 15 2005, 12:05 PM)

Joe,

I'm surprised that you are going that direction. My understanding is that you want the shoulder belts to be as close to parallel to the floor as possible. That's why most people would anchor the belts to either the floor or the firewall (as you have done), then pass the belts over a harness bar at shoulder level. That would minimize any potential spine compression in case of an incident.

At least, that is my understanding.
Series9
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Mar 15 2005, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 15 2005, 12:05 PM)

Joe,

I'm surprised that you are going that direction. My understanding is that you want the shoulder belts to be as close to parallel to the floor as possible. That's why most people would anchor the belts to either the floor or the firewall (as you have done), then pass the belts over a harness bar at shoulder level. That would minimize any potential spine compression in case of an incident.

At least, that is my understanding.

My installation fits me in the way you describe without a harness bar.

This picture may help. The mounting points are almost directly behind the holes in the seat:
Series9
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 15 2005, 10:20 AM)
My only problem is that I have factory seats and there is no provision to keep the straps up in the proper position near the shoulders.

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WD1V
Dave_Darling
Harness bars can be purchased from All The Usual Suspects. We at The Bird have them listed for just over two RCUs (Race Car Units == $100 bills).
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...g_pg2.htm#item9

--DD
Steve Thacker
Damn Dave,
One would not think that a piece of metal with nothing special about it other than it's length and mounting brackets on the end would be so expensive. I don't get it. Maybe I'll put my new mig welder to use.
Steve Thacker
Thanks Joe for the seat link. I spent untold hours sewing in my new interior to get away from buying racing seats. As nice as those are, I'm so damn cheap I make me sick. laugh.gif

I've got so much money in this car, I could never sell it. Guess my grandson will make out like a bandit, when I get my dirt bed. laugh.gif
theol00
I have a harness bar for sale - $75 and its yours
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (theol00 @ Mar 15 2005, 02:26 PM)
I have a harness bar for sale - $75 and its yours

Theo,
Let me check my square steel stache. If I don't have any, then I may jump on your offer like a $20 hooker. I know, I know...we tried to help you Steve and you are backpeddling. I should be ashamed at being so cheap, but I'm not. laugh.gif
Gint
Hey Joe! (914RS),

What did you put on the rear bulkhead? Is that carpet? It looks pretty nice. Got more pics?
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 15 2005, 11:24 AM)
Hey Joe! (914RS),

What did you put on the rear bulkhead? Is that carpet? It looks pretty nice. Got more pics?

I think it's heavy duty felt...and from what I've seen every part of his car is nice....so nice it makes me sick, haha
SirAndy
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 15 2005, 10:46 AM)
I should be ashamed at being so cheap, but I'm not. laugh.gif

i'm not sure if "cheap" and "DIY" is the right way to go when it comes to things like brakes or seat-belts and such ...

unsure.gif Andy
Steve Thacker
Andy,
I know the items you mentioned are the most important. And I'm not cheap on the stopping part. My mode of thinking is I have a close up pic on the design of these crossbars and they look almost too simple. I'm darn certain that building them would be a snap. I would use a square one inch steel bar and then mig the brackets onto the end. Then do a check for stress cracks in the welds. I should be able to hang an elephant off of the one I build.
Aaron Cox
Ask joe sharp and elliot cannon to post pics of their harness bars.....
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 15 2005, 12:24 PM)
Hey Joe! (914RS),

Felt. From the fabric store.

Those are all the pictures I have.
jom
this place has them pretty cheap.
http://www.stableenergies.com/prodinfo.asp...item=3&mitem=13
siverson
Joe, how tall are you?

Here are some pictures of my install. Very similar. Straps are horizontal on my shoulders.

-Steve
siverson
drivers side
siverson
install in progress on passenger side
siverson
And the sub belt. Note, the floor was lowered about 1", and the seat is bolted directly to floor, so the you'll notice the notch in the seat that had to be made. I'm 6'6".

-Steve
nein14
I Have a brand new harrness bar For Sale if your interested. $75.00
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (siverson @ Mar 15 2005, 01:30 PM)
Joe, how tall are you?

Here are some pictures of my install. Very similar. Straps are horizontal on my shoulders.

-Steve

Steve I like your install. Looks very clean. No problem with the head of the bolts clearing the back pad? I have a 70 with the fixed passenger seat and I want to replace my stock belts on both sides with a 5 point harness.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 15 2005, 12:06 PM)
I would use a square one inch steel bar and then mig the brackets onto the end.

I would suggest using round DOM tubing. Square will give you sharp corners which I don't think you want in that area (on the belts or near your head!!), and ERW or rolled tubing is prone to separating at the seam if you ever "need" to use it. Make sure to get the angle of the brackets correct, and see if you can come up with a way to keep it from pivoting forward under load.

Might be nice to tack on four "guide loops" for the shoulder belts, too.

Cad-plate the sucka, and you have just replicated the Weltmeister piece.

--DD
siverson
> No problem with the head of the bolts clearing the back pad?

The rings on the bolts fit right into the "pockets" made in the backpad. You can actually reach in there and unclip the belts without removing the backpad.

-Steve
Series9
QUOTE (siverson @ Mar 15 2005, 02:30 PM)
Joe, how tall are you?

-Steve

5'10".

I would never be able to have that horizontal bar in my interior (behind the seats) if I were anywhere near your height.
Steve Thacker
Thanks Fellas! I have decided to do the right thing and go with a store bought unit. I'm out of barstock and DD is right. I don't need to be adding anything to the mix that is angled and could do more damage to me in a crash god forbid. I was just looking to be cheap and this is not an area to go cheap. After this purchase this will put me at 16k on this car and the paint touch-up and clearcoat sand is next.
I'm in so too deep....what was I think'in screwy.gif
914helo
The same thing the rest of us addicts were screwy.gif
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (nein14 @ Mar 15 2005, 05:37 PM)
I Have a brand new harrness bar For Sale if your interested. $75.00

nein14 I sent you a PM.
JoeSharp
Steve: This one came with the car.
biggrin.gif Joe
JoeSharp
err.
JoeSharp
And the tie in.
biggrin.gif Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.