Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In need of a PPI in So Cal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm considering buying this car listed over on the Samba. Is there anybody in Southern California that could go take a look at it for me?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1864946
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 26 2015, 12:01 PM) *

I'm considering buying this car listed over on the Samba. Is there anybody in Southern California that could go take a look at it for me?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1864946

Interesting car. upgraded tranny to side shift is a good indication of concern along the way / decent underbelly / strange vents on the rear fenders indicating an owner with issues / decent seats possibly decent wheel and I see a key in the ignition / great color if original.. / stainless heat /

worth a look for sure at that price....
PotterPorsche
Why not this one I bet u could get it down to $5-5500
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5375272307.html
bdstone914
I am in Socal but that is about 100 miles from me. Big question is why is it not driving? Ask for the rust in the common places and known problems.
Larmo63
I bought the black Craigslist car today and it is in my garage.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 26 2015, 07:09 PM) *

I bought the black car today and it is in my garage.

Post some picks!!
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mepstein
$5k is least 2X more than it's worth. (Blue car)
jmill
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 26 2015, 09:09 PM) *

I bought the black car today and it is in my garage.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

The craigslist ad is closed.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment

Factory optioned too, sway bars, black, 5 alloys, complete, jack looks showroom.

No big rust issues. I'm thrilled, more details tomorrow.
Maltese Falcon
Now you can the best of Both worlds; potent 6 conversion and an awesome type 4 ! Save the bumperettes /original to your build year ยก
Marty
Larmo63
The car doesn't look like it has ever been hit, but it has the rear bumper tits, '74 style.

This car also has the vinyl around the windshield that looks original/factory. Weird.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
Is the vin in the first 1000 of 73? That would explain the pillar vinyl.
Larmo63
Steve
Nice score!!!
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 26 2015, 09:35 PM) *

Just curious, why do you say that?
Cairo94507
Larmo63 - smilie_pokal.gif Love that car. Congratulations.
sb914
Nice job! Lawrence,Are you keeping it? Why do you need two? poke.gif
Steve
One to work on and one to drive?
PotterPorsche
That black car was nice . Great price. Now a days the good ones are gone in less than 24 hours.
Larmo63
I was the first guy there, he said his phone blew up with calls.
Steve
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 27 2015, 05:16 AM) *

Keep an eye on Craigslist. The samba can be high at times.
A lot of the 914 nuts live in South Orange County. Los Angeles and north of that is a horrible drive with traffic. If you find one in Orange County or South or east of that you will find more people willing to check it out for you.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=84
forrestkhaag
After seeing the black car in some detail - just after Larmo picked it up, - I am suggesting that he abandon as his first choice for the conversion, Speedy (the yellow rust-issued car we have all seen too much of...) as his black car is virtually rustless - at least comparatively...

Go with what you know. Blackie has a few blems but no apparent major hellish or health issues common to many bargain 914's and issues so apparent in the engine compartment of poor Speedy. Also, Blackie is a 2.0 so while awaiting the arrival of the 911 build thru fruition, Larmo would be sporting around in a nice upgrade to the 1.7 in Speedy.

I say swap the 911 suspension, wheels, brakes etc. and many other tidbits and sell Speedy to cover the cost of the initial investment in a much more solid black car.

Poor Speedy.....

but poor Speedy will still make a great startup car for anyone interested in getting into the 914 game.

Congratulations to Larmo.

Sidebar: Speedy is named Speedy for emotion - not motion.... its decals and GT gas cap, cut-off switch, etc. Not for forward motion...... As a prior 1.7 owner, I know.........

beerchug.gif
VWTortuga336
Any more thoughts or opinions on the car I am looking at buying? Anyone who can lay eyes on it?
mepstein
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 27 2015, 08:16 AM) *

Very iffy non running project car. Unless it's verified rust free by someone who really knows these cars, it's $2k at best for parts.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 27 2015, 11:20 AM) *

I was the first guy there, he said his phone blew up with calls.

first.gif

I agree with the previous poster, sell speedy and you'll be thousands and years ahead. Congrats!
PotterPorsche
The blue car looks beat no inspection needed pass. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Pointing out that the black car was worth the effort. Blue car not worth your time.
PotterPorsche
Just looking for a few minutes:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5375443501.html

Then spend the rest of the money on the engine u want
PotterPorsche
The white car below is way better than the blue car.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5376808384.html

That's 3 deals in less than 3 days

The black car
The white car
That green car in florida

mepstein
Skip the white car. You do not want fiberglass bumpers molded into the body.
Green car in Florida has potential. But I bet there's some nice California cars waiting for a new owner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.