Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Jack Stands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
I just dropped one of my three sets of vintage adjustable jack stands at my pal's place for Christmas.

A much needed addition to his garage as he prepares for extended time above the tarmac what with his pending flares, 6, and wheel swap..... 6". 12"and 24"Ht adjustments - some more safe than other heights... pre OSHA for sure.

This classic jackstand set harkens back to a time when things were simple and fool proof.

Believed to be around 40 years old based on rings..

Larmo will post pictures of the stands,... maybe...

Merry Christmas

beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Being vintage, they're probably far safer than the "modern" cheaper to make ratchet types, with the locking pins! Good thing you kept him safe! smile.gif

Many topics on here about the risks of the crappy new ratchet type jack stands, so for other, read up on that if you're unaware - bottom line: ratchets can slip, but the steell pins through holes won't - even if more work to adjust them!

New Year's Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 26 2015, 02:33 PM) *

Being vintage, they're probably far safer than the "modern" cheaper to make ratchet types, with the locking pins! Good thing you kept him safe! smile.gif

Many topics on here about the risks of the crappy new ratchet type jack stands, so for other, read up on that if you're unaware - bottom line: ratchets can slip, but the steell pins through holes won't - even if more work to adjust them!

New Year's Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

thanks Tom / yes. These old school stands have no pins to fail as well, no ratchet to skip a tooth on.. KISS rule applies (maybe twice after Larmo63 posts a few pix.. /KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.......
Larmo63
Didn't Fred Flintstone have use this type of jack stands?

Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
yes but his were petrified.......... and not the matching pair / rings back to back.... be careful of the max height adjustment wherein you stack these two puppies end to end... best make sure your parking brake is working too..

beerchug.gif
wes
That's the newer version I believe the original ones were bedrock!
jmill
Sweet epoxy coat on your garage floor. That looks fantastic. first.gif
Amphicar770
Don't mess with cheap jackstands or rely on blocks of wood, etc. A neighbor of mine was crushed under his Mustang about two years ago.
ripper911
Since Mr. Eastwood hasn't posted any pictures yet, here is the old ones that my dad has.

I think that my grandfather made them. No trouble holding up a 914.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.