Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright

From Oklahoma my '76 LE wannabe took me first to northern Alabama, then to the Mississippi Gulf coast. Second only to the giant redwoods, these Live Oaks are magnificent. This is only medium sized but was a good backdrop.

Click to view attachment

eyesright
East of New Orleans I got into some showers.

Click to view attachment

Then west of Beaumont, Texas it was time for gas and dinner.

Click to view attachment
eyesright

The next morning another stop for gas and sunrise just west of Boerne.

Click to view attachment

bandjoey
Love it. More Pixs! driving.gif
eyesright

Driving west along I-10 I saw "miles and miles of Texas" and finally found some green at a rest stop.

Click to view attachment

Texas is 880 miles border to border along I-10
eyesright
Finally made it to Phoenix. You don't find saguaro cactus many other places.

Click to view attachment

I left PHX Christmas day after watching the "winter storm Goliath" warnings. Here is north Arizona with the beginnings of storm clouds way out there.

Click to view attachment

I ran into bad roads along I-40 around Gallup. Traffic crawled past a series of 5 wrecks. It was stop and go for 90 minutes.

But hey, I made it safe and sound @70-75 mph most of the way, 3900 miles @ 33.7 average MPG. I built the engine 2+ years ago now and have 40k miles on it. Len Hoffman did my heads and decked the case, Raby 9550 cam kit, AA piston assy's. Nothing like driving your own work. What a trip.

Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas.

sb914
Great pics and great story! Thanks for sharing! first.gif
Cracker
Wow. Did you do this by yourself? Impressive. Merry Christmas.

Tony
mgp4591
Nothing beats a good road trip- good that everything went well!
arkitect
Great pictures. driving.gif

Dave
Shadowfax
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun trip. driving.gif
dangrouche
great!! how may days/weeks did you spread that trip?
eyesright
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 26 2015, 08:33 PM) *

great!! how may days/weeks did you spread that trip?

Ten days, seven on the road. Great fun. Solo is the only way.

And now, heeeeeeeeeeeere's Goliath!

Click to view attachment

Porschef
Nice trip, great pics! I'm seeing right now how Texas is getting pummeled. Nothing like that here.

Very impressed with your fuel economy; what induction system are you using?

eyesright
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 27 2015, 04:33 AM) *

Nice trip, great pics! I'm seeing right now how Texas is getting pummeled. Nothing like that here.

Very impressed with your fuel economy; what induction system are you using?

Stock D-Jet. Flat top pistons maybe bumped compression up a bit but I didn't do the measurements.... relying on beginner's luck. Fuel mileage is usually 35 on the road but I did a lot of miles @ 80+ across Texas and ran into headwinds for more than a few hours. Oil temps rarely got over 190 (winter time) and head temps were steady 325-350F...a few minutes @375 while climbing mountains out of Phoenix. Used about 3 qts of oil in 4k+ miles.
Porschef
Fantastic. With my 2056, same cam, I'm getting 24 on the road topless. Doesn't seem to matter much if I drive it harder, mpg is about the same. It also looks that your fuel gauge doesn't go all the way to the top like mine, if you reset the trip meter when filling up.

Dig the creamsicle and associated backdated BUBs.
rick 918-S
Love road trips! aktion035.gif
thieuster
What a trip! As European, it's hard to imagine the size of the US. I always love the way you guys approach long distance traveling. Far more relaxed than we.

Menno
Beeliner
Being from CT, I do like the placement of your speedometer needle... smile.gif

Great pics, I 'll be in Phoenix in March. Last time I was there it snowed... WTF.gif
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2015, 07:12 AM) *

Rick, I believe that is the largest understatement I have ever heard! lol-2.gif beerchug.gif Nice trip guy. Glad that it went well. It's a long day when you travel across Texas. happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2015, 11:12 AM) *

You and Sandy are the King and Queen of road trips! w00t.gif
AZ914
Most excellent!!

Dang, you were within about 2 miles of my house on I-10 just leaving Tucson for PHX.
eyesright
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 27 2015, 06:10 AM) *

Fantastic. With my 2056, same cam, I'm getting 24 on the road topless. Doesn't seem to matter much if I drive it harder, mpg is about the same. It also looks that your fuel gauge doesn't go all the way to the top like mine, if you reset the trip meter when filling up.

Dig the creamsicle and associated backdated BUBs.

Is yours carb-ed or FI-ed? I've wanted carbs just because they are cool looking but I have plenty of power for what I do with the stock FI set up. It does hiccup now and then while cruising around 3000RPM and the idle is steady....well, about half the time. Been very happy with the MPG.

The original gas sending unit died and I replaced it. The new one showed full at fill-ups for about a month, now only occasionally. Its accurate after about 80 miles.

And my speedo reads optimistic even with stock sized tires. Reading 78 ( @3100 ) is actually 70 mph by the GPS. That's fast enough when I have a camera in my hand. driving.gif
914Sixer
I sure wished you would have stopped by the house here in Boerne. We could have had a good visit.
boxsterfan
What gearing are you running in the transmission? Looks to be around 3200 RPM at 80MPH in the pics.
eyesright
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 27 2015, 06:37 PM) *

What gearing are you running in the transmission? Looks to be around 3200 RPM at 80MPH in the pics.

Stock ( '76 car) transmission. GPS showed 70 mph @3100 rpm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.