Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuild again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Saw a thread on the Pelican site showing a set of delaminated Nikasil cylinders. After cleaning up mine I see a few pinpricks. Cylinder 5 is by far the worst offender with what looks not so good to me. Would value response from those who know. I recognize that no 914 came equipped with them.
Longer view
Click to view attachment

Closer up
Click to view attachment

Would you be worried? Reusable?
Thanks!!
mb911
I would use or send to us chrome in fondulac and have them redo them..
Jake Raby
Ring tensions were ran too high for Nikisil in these pics. 8-11# is perfect for Nikiail, but you'll usually need to fish scale them to get them there, or work on the oil ring expanders to drop them.
Mark Henry
Simple test feel the top ring ridge, if you feel a rolling ridge (opposed to a used steel cylinder's harder, sharper ring ridge) then you should have it replated. If unsure you should have it checked with a bore gauge.
Very high milage cylinders will begin to fishmouth, meaning the top of the bore will be bigger than the bottom.

A few small pits in nikasil is normal and OK.
Delamination looks sort of like chrome has flaked off a bumper and needs replating.
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 28 2015, 06:39 AM) *

Simple test feel the top ring ridge, if you feel a rolling ridge (opposed to a used steel cylinder's harder, sharper ring ridge) then you should have it replated. If unsure you should have it checked with a bore gauge.
Very high milage cylinders will begin to fishmouth, meaning the top of the bore will be bigger than the bottom.

A few small pits in nikasil is normal and OK.
Delamination looks sort of like chrome has flaked off a bumper and needs replating.

Thanks Mark. Initial measurements were very encouraging but I haven't run the mic that way. When I washed them there was no perceptible ridge.
worn
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2015, 07:43 PM) *

Ring tensions were ran too high for Nikisil in these pics. 8-11# is perfect for Nikiail, but you'll usually need to fish scale them to get them there, or work on the oil ring expanders to drop them.

As in 8 to 11 pounds of tension needed to...pull the piston up or down with rings installed? Thanks Jake. Learning slowly but steadily.
Luke M
I just had my brothers 3.0 cylinders redone in Nikasil. Waited 5 weeks for them to come back to only find one cylinder had a deep pit in it. I'm still waiting for a call back but I know with the Holidays most places shut down until the new year.
If you do send them out take good pics of the cylinders and note any issues on them.
The cylinders where real smooth when I sent them in so my issue is with the process/final inspection at the shops end. I got the same cylinders back that I sent in but some places do a swap for your cores.
Mueller
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 28 2015, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2015, 07:43 PM) *

As in 8 to 11 pounds of tension needed to...pull the piston up or down with rings installed? Thanks Jake. Learning slowly but steadily.

I'm guessing lubed with oil as well?
sixnotfour
Use Goetze piston rings ,you will have no problems....

when you took off the old rings was the oil ring one piece or 3 piece ??

if one piece those are just well used , no ring problem...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.