Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Fitted The Proper Wheels... Ditched the 8 spokes.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
From the moment I bought this car I have hated the 8 spoke wheels. I was torn about what to do, and I consider 5 lug Fuchs, and lots of other routes..

Then these freshly restored Al Reed 2.0 Fuchs fell into my lap, and they are wonderful... Finally the 914 looks like it should!

Now I might decide to actually drive it somewhere, before it was too damn ugly!

Here's before and after.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
They belong on that car!!!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 27 2015, 08:22 PM) *

I agree completely.
EdwardBlume
What a difference wheels make!
porschetub
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 28 2015, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 27 2015, 08:22 PM) *

I agree completely.

To me these are wheels for a VW never worked for me on a 914,not a good look.
Interested on the engine set up Jake...whats in the engine bay ??????.
mgp4591
The bright Fuchs definitely look to be proper for your car, but I'm not against the 8 spoke wheels either... maybe it's just me, maybe it's my avatar... smile.gif
Van914
Looks great!
mepstein
agree.gif
Cracker
I like them both...maybe event the 8-spokes a little more. Splitting hairs here...

Tony
LowBridge
you just can't beat Fuchs on a 914 for me... super look teener
Coondog
Looking good....
Perry Kiehl Clone
I've never had a problem with the 8 spokes, but I'll always pick the 2.0 Fuchs over everything else, even the five lugs.

Those are perfect on that car. I love 2.0 Fuchs on a black 914!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 28 2015, 08:03 AM) *

I like them both...maybe event the 8-spokes a little more. Splitting hairs here...

Tony

agree.gif
I agree I like them both, but Jake's 8-Spoke wheels would look better in Silver. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
billh1963
Fuchs for the win!
Jake Raby
Its all personal preference with this.. The car didn't look good to me at all with the 8 spokes, plus the offset put the rear tires very close to the rear fenders, even with 195s. With the Fuchs I can easily fit a 205 in there with more space than the 195s had. I love Fuchs on all my Porsches, no matter 4 or 5 lug.

As for the engine, this car is 100% bone stock, and staying that way. Thats one reason why I wanted the Fuchs on it, too...

I have plenty of go fast cars, keeping this one as designed, and simple.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Dec 28 2015, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 28 2015, 08:03 AM) *

Tony

agree.gif
I agree I like them both, but Jake's 8-Spoke wheels would look better in Silver. popcorn[1].gif
Tom

Agree the wheels would look better on the car if silver!
era vulgaris
The Fuchs look great!
I've never liked those 8-spoke minilite style wheels. They seem to be available for just about any car from the 70's, and I don't think they look good on anything.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 28 2015, 11:36 AM) *

The Fuchs look great!
I've never liked those 8-spoke minilite style wheels. They seem to be available for just about any car from the 70's, and I don't think they look good on anything.

Had them on my first car, '73 Super Beetle... They looked good on the car, or at least I thought they did at the time... Along with the deep blue car, with fluorescent pink fender beading and all the JC Whitney chrome accessories that could be bought!

They would have looked better in silver, I agree, but I much prefer the Fuchs, for sure.
era vulgaris
Maybe I'm crazy but minilites look like a wheel made of bananas to me. I can't help but picture them painted yellow whenever I see them. Like they're wheels for a car in Mario Cart, or something. They turn cars into cartoons.
Jake Raby
I feel the same about minilites... I'm a Fuch lover in most all cases, till it comes to my 964 and 993, both of which run Cup1s.
mepstein
These 8 spoke wheels don't look like minilites. Minilites look cool.
TJB/914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2015, 09:32 PM) *

Mark,
The photo I posted was not Minilites,
My posted photo was an American Eagle 8-Spoke Wheel powder coated silver to showing it's best color. I tried to sell them on the Samba @ $400 bucks for a set of (4) & no takers. I'll probably put them up for garage wall art or make clocks out of them headbang.gif
Fuchs are the real deal and the best wheel for a 914. pray.gif
Tom
mgp4591
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 28 2015, 11:24 AM) *

Its all personal preference with this.. The car didn't look good to me at all with the 8 spokes, plus the offset put the rear tires very close to the rear fenders, even with 195s. With the Fuchs I can easily fit a 205 in there with more space than the 195s had. I love Fuchs on all my Porsches, no matter 4 or 5 lug.

As for the engine, this car is 100% bone stock, and staying that way. Thats one reason why I wanted the Fuchs on it, too...

I have plenty of go fast cars, keeping this one as designed, and simple.

With that reasoning in mind, the Fuchs make perfect sense and look perfect on you car- great choice!
Hank914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Dec 28 2015, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2015, 09:32 PM) *

Mark,
The photo I posted was not Minilites,
My posted photo was an American Eagle 8-Spoke Wheel powder coated silver to showing it's best color. I tried to sell them on the Samba @ $400 bucks for a set of (4) & no takers. I'll probably put them up for garage wall art or make clocks out of them headbang.gif
Fuchs are the real deal and the best wheel for a 914. pray.gif
Tom

I had the 8 spoke chrome American Eagles on my 72 914. Here's a pic.

Click to view attachment

But I sold them on Samba for $500 to a Super Beetle lady, cuz I wanted the Fuchs 2.0 originality.

I think the 914 looks better with Fuchs!

Click to view attachment

But to each his own!
Jake Raby
For 8 spokes, chrome is definitely the best finish. They still look better on a bug, than a 914, to me.

The 914 seems to drive better with the Fuchs, too. Al straightened them, and I think the 8 spokes weren't true.

Now I just need to replace a few pieces of rubber, and the 914 will be ready for spring... My 964 will too, finally finishing it today after a year of resto.
EdwardBlume
A kid up the street had a chrome yellow bug with 8 spoke EMPIs painted chrome yellow on spokes, chrome around the edge, and chrome knock offs.

It definitely worked and looked good on a slammed Cal Bug...
Coondog
They both look good to me...... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.