Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off Topic/no 914 content - Looking to donate a car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All-
Does anyone know of a good avenue to donate a car?

I have a fairly rare 1948 Morris Minor low light convertible. Due to an unfortunate miscommunication on trim, it was going to require a minor touch up to the window frame (I basically tried to remove and replace something that should not have been removed and replaced…. *sigh*). Shortly thereafter, the hood was scratched, so the decision was made to repaint the whole car. I went all in, pulled the motor and trans, and stripped the car to a roller. That was three years ago.

I have acquired other projects since, and I know this car will never get done. I was hoping to donate the car to some sort of organization/charity that will use it to teach – like a high school shop class. I cant find anything locally. I have spoken to the folks at Haggerty who initially had great interest, but that seems to have cooled. I have alos been in contact with the Morris club.

It is a very very simple little car, with a tiny little flat head 4 cyl (basically an English beetle). I have every part, plus some new stuff (mostly interior bits). It is amazingly rust free for its age.

I have had quite a bit of interest from folks in the UK as it is rare. However, it is not worth a bunch – maybe 15k totally restored – so the cost to ship it overseas combined with it being all in pieces makes it not worth the effort.

Does anyone know of any charitable organizations that might be interested?

Pics below (right before it was taken apart and how it currently sits). It is a right hand drive car.

Thanks for any suggestions –
Scott S
Sleepin
Scott, I would have a hard time believing that a High School / Vocational School shop program would not accept a donation like that.

Maybe check with Red Rocks Community College. They have quite a Automotive Collision and Customization program. http://www.rrcc.edu/warrentech/auto-servic...ization-courses
carr914
It's a Question of what's worth to you

If it's worth nothing, then Donate it to a Vo-Tech or Charity that you can get a good Tax write-off

If it's worth $15K, sell it to someone over-seas and let them take care of shipping
Scott S
I have left several messages at Warren (I went to Golden HS, they were my first call). The other places I have contacted are geared toward more modern/computer based cars. They are teaching what is pertinent to working on todays cars. I was told by one high school that the majority of students would not be interested in a project like this, as it is "not a car they can relate to".

I get it - sort of....
Scott S
Hi TC -
All I am looking for - at the most - is just a tax write off.
mepstein
Sell the car cheap (specify - quick, no hassle), donate the money to your favorite charity.
thieuster
I will put a link of this thread on the British Triumph TR Register. Who knows!

Menno
Mike Bellis
Most of the charitable donation places will give you a receipt for pennies on the dollar and you will only be able to write off a portion of it. Check with your accountant first. It may be a better financial decision to sell it and use some of the money to pay taxes.
BeemerSteve
I'm sure someone would want this for a vocational study. There are many other High Schools around.

This caught my eye right away bringing memories of when I restored a 1952 MM....water pumps were almost non existent for a North American MM (heaters) because they were an option at that time in production.
Cracker
Scott,

I have a friend who is the shop instructor for a local high school. They largely work on donations and it is a great cause - changing lives and teaching a trade. I don't know of his interest in such a project but he quit his job with Caterpillar of 25-years to work and mentor high school kids. Just a thought...

Tony

Here I am at his annual open house...the kids "dug" the 914.

Click to view attachment
Scott S
Sleepin -
I pushed a bit harder - I went over to Warren Tech (Red Rocks CC) in person early last week and spoke to them. They picked the car up yesterday.

Here is cool part. Two students were with them to help load the trailer - late teens at the most. They were all about the weird little car. It was so cool to see "young-ins" into something vintage and outside of the norm.

Watching our local Jag club slowly wither on the vine because they do nothing to bring in fresh blood, I have been a bit sad that some old cars will just fade away due to lack of interest. It was nice to witness these kids interest.

Cant wait to see what they do to the car. Fun stuff.

beerchug.gif
Old Yella
1948 Morris Minor

Big money to British car enthusiasts in England and Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHN38nQgGAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZD82vdy_mc

Nice to see you donated it. hope it doesn't get trashed.
johnlush
Kudos! This was a very cool thing for you to do.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jan 13 2016, 12:13 PM) *

Sleepin -
I pushed a bit harder - I went over to Warren Tech (Red Rocks CC) in person early last week and spoke to them. They picked the car up yesterday.

Here is cool part. Two students were with them to help load the trailer - late teens at the most. They were all about the weird little car. It was so cool to see "young-ins" into something vintage and outside of the norm.

Watching our local Jag club slowly wither on the vine because they do nothing to bring in fresh blood, I have been a bit sad that some old cars will just fade away due to lack of interest. It was nice to witness these kids interest.

Cant wait to see what they do to the car. Fun stuff.

beerchug.gif

Very cool Scott! I am glad it went to a enthusiastic group! beerchug.gif
Ferg
Very cool!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.