Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil preasure sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
It seems the wire to my OPS is missing (I assume the OPS is the switch somewhat near the oil filler box on the case, which currently has a bare spade terminal on it).....temp gauge is working but the OP light never comes on even when cold initial startup, so I guessing the wire is missing.....

I see no loose wires anywhere, so my questions are: is this wire green/red and which harness should it be comming out of? (or might it be loose under the tin somewhere and I just need to go 'fishing' for it???).
dmenche914
The oil pressure switch is located next to the distributor, it has a single male terminal, that will contact to engine ground to light the lamp on the dash. It is a green / red wire. This wire is part of the harness that goes to the relay plate (in engine bay, behind driver seat) The relay plate has several connectors, two large ones with many wires. one large connector goes to the main harness, the other large connector is the one with the oil pressure wire, it is the connector furthest from the firewall. The connector cable branches off a couple feet from the connector on the relay plate, part of the cable goes to the starter, and tranny reverse light switch. The rest of the cable goes accross the top of the engine, and supplies the wires for the ignition (coil), the auxilary air valve, and the oil pressure switch. So trace back the wires from the spark coil, and you should be able to find the green/red oil wire in that bundle, of course it may have been cut off, but that is where it should be, at least on 1.7 and 2.0 liter cars. I am not sure on the wires for a 1.8 car, but suspect it is simular.

Some folks add an oil pressure gage (recomended!!!), the sensor would go in place of the oil switch, and unless your car had that factory option installed, you could either use the same wire for oil pressure gage, just change it at the dash board end to the gage, or better still, get a oil pressure sender that has two terminals, one for pressure gage, and one for the idiot light, in which case a seperate wire will need be ran for the oil gage.

hope that helps

good luck.
SirAndy
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Mar 15 2005, 02:23 PM)
It is a green / red wire.

agree.gif green with red stripe, should come out of the engine harness somewhere close to the pressure sender. all it does is run the oil-idiot-light ...

cool.gif Andy
MarkG
Thanks guys! I do have a green/red wire going to the coil terminal (along w/a black one)

Will have to dig around, but I will add a real preasure gauge soon
phantom914
QUOTE (MarkG @ Mar 15 2005, 04:31 PM)
Thanks guys! I do have a green/red wire going to the coil terminal (along w/a black one)

Will have to dig around, but I will add a real preasure gauge soon

The wire to the coil should be green (no stripe) and come from the distributor.

The green wire with a red stripe should come out from the harness and connect to the pressure switch.

Andrew
dmenche914
The spark coil should have two wire too it from engine harness, the ignition power, (black i recall) and the tachometer pick up (black / purple I think) If the green / red is going too the coil, then something ain't right

The other green wire goes to the distributor condensor from the coil. Be sure the solid black wire goes to the plus terminal on the coil, the green wire, and tach wire go on the other terminal (negitive).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.