Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: max stroke type 4 without clearancing ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Simple question.?
whats the max stroke on a type 4 without any clearancing ?
jmill
Do you mean stroke? Usually clearancing is required because the con rod bolts hit stuff.
got914?
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 28 2015, 07:55 PM) *

Do you mean stroke? Usually clearancing is required because the con rod bolts hit stuff.

yes i meant stroke, i edited to correct
wndsrfr
QUOTE(got914? @ Dec 28 2015, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 28 2015, 07:55 PM) *

yes i meant stroke, i edited to correct

I don't know the exact answer but it was very easy to grind out a bit of the web on a 1.7 case to handle my 80mm stroke crank fwiw....
Mark Henry
You can stroke a 1.7 out to a 2.0 without clearancing biggrin.gif

Never built a stroker engine that didn't requiring clearancing except a 74mm T1 and even then it still needs a little clearancing.
T1 or T4 stroker drop in kits always ended up being junk.

Really if you can't clearance a stroker then let a pro do it or stick to stock.

Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 28 2015, 05:24 PM) *

agree.gif
Jake Raby
Even 74mm can need clearance work, or a reduced base circle cam. Bigger is seldom better in the T4 world.
got914?
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 28 2015, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 28 2015, 05:24 PM) *

agree.gif

never said couldnt or wouldnt try,
m just asking for help to further my knowledge before startng a build.
lonewolfe
Whether or not the case needs clearance should not be a limiting factor on what size stroke you're looking for. It's easy to clearance a case. You don't have to remove much material.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 28 2015, 08:25 PM) *

Whether or not the case needs clearance should not be a limiting factor on what size stroke you're looking for. It's easy to clearance a case. You don't have to remove much material.

I agree here too. Had to clearance the case, did a reduced base circle cam, and the connecting rods need to be ground a bit too. I can't tell you how many times I put the case halves back together, try to slowly spin the crank and it hit something. It was a trail and error thing. smash.gif

I also cheated a bit with a picture I found on Jakes Facebook page. The removal of material he showed in this pic gave me a great starting point. (The red boxes are what I found, I'm sure there's more tricks I didn't see!!) shades.gif

got914?
Thanks for the pic,
thats an awesome starting point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.