Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Any feedback on all the inexpensive rear wheel bearings out there in eBay and the likes. Seems like you can get them for about 40 bucks for a pair.. Just curious..
URY914
Rear bearing are a PITA to replace. I've done it at least three times on different cars.

Hate to do and find out the cheap bearings I bought failed after 6 months.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif with Paul. That being said, the consensus seems to be that SKF and FAG bearings are the best brands to go with and are of roughly equal quality.
914Sixer
All bearings now are suspect because you never know where they are made UNTIL you open the box and find out what the stamp says. SKF and FAG are made all over the world now. I have seen France, Spain, Mexico and Brazil.
bdstone914
I have used the FAG bearings that are make in Slovakia without problems. I heard that FAG makes the bearing machines in Germany and has the bearings made in countries with lower labor rates. We carry them at Pelican. about $40 each. I can check the returns on these tomorrow. Technically it is a BMW part number.
thieuster
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 29 2015, 04:20 AM) *

All bearings now are suspect because you never know where they are made UNTIL you open the box and find out what the stamp says. SKF and FAG are made all over the world now. I have seen France, Spain, Mexico and Brazil.

I'e just replaced the bearings on my boat trailer. Out came a 'no name' set and I've replaced them for SKFs: one set (the large ones) were made in India, the smaller set was made in Mexico...

Menno
bcheney
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 28 2015, 10:01 PM) *

agree.gif with Paul. That being said, the consensus seems to be that SKF and FAG bearings are the best brands to go with and are of roughly equal quality.

I think when Eric Shea did my 5 bolt conversion he told me the bearings used were Audi part numbers.
DRPHIL914
when i did mine, i was doing the 5 lug conversion and sourced my new
rear control arms from Mr. Stone, and also the hubs, which made my job much easier.
BIGKAT_83
I got rear bearings also made in Slovakia from Ecklers Porsche site for $15.99each. They are also a Audi part and came with a large nut in the box.

Bob
mb911
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 29 2015, 12:35 PM) *

I got rear bearings also made in Slovakia from Ecklers Porsche site for $15.99each. They are also a Audi part and came with a large nut in the box.

Bob

That's a great deal.. Did they last?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2015, 01:45 PM) *

Bob

That just doesn't seem right - but here it is: http://www.automotion.com/wheel-bearings-r...sche-11952.html
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Bob

Yep been good so far 3yrs and about 20K miles. driving.gif
mb911
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 29 2015, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Bob

Yep been good so far 3yrs and about 20K miles. driving.gif

Just bought a set.. No name we will see if nothing else they will get the car rolling..
BIGKAT_83
After this thread I was able to find them on close out at Rockauto.com for $7.00 each.
This was using the BMW part number instead of the Porsche.

Bob shades.gif
mb911
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 4 2016, 02:26 PM) *

After this thread I was able to find them on close out at Rockauto.com for $7.00 each.

Bob shades.gif

Wow we should buy them out at 7bucks each
Amphicar770
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 4 2016, 05:26 PM) *

Bob shades.gif

What is the BMW part number? I just ordered a set of FAG bearings but am now wondering if the new Timkens I have sitting on the shelf from my former E28 are actually the same part. headbang.gif
URY914
$7?

Good luck with that.

Are you a AAA member?
914Sixer
Audi 431407625,A
BMW 33411468747
FAG 545495, A,AD
TIMKEN 513106
SKF 309245B

All bearings 42x75x37
6freak
the number of rollers in the bearing makes a difference..just because it fits dont make it correct...think harmonics, every bearing does it just at different speeds!pending on number of balls/rollers even new bearings can howl if over speed
Mike smile.gif
6freak
Click to view attachment

FTF is the bearing cage or bearing train
Series9
I found a cross reference on this a while back.

These are the front and rear bearings for a 2000(and other years) base Boxster.

I haven't tried them, but probably will.

Eric_Shea
I "always" use 545495ADW from them... the 999 number is about 3x higher for the exact same bearing. That's the F'd up part about buying Porsche parts. There's someone waiting around every corner to stick it in and break it off. biggrin.gif
jmill
Formula I use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.