Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacers. Whats the final word.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im getting HPH flares (or something simular) for the rear of my car. Currently it needs 1 in spacers for the rear to not hit the inside of the wheel well (barely not hit..) With the hph flares, I will have more flare and I will be wanting to fill them out better. So I think I want to go with a 1.5 in spacer that is bolted on top of my 3/4 in spacer. Price of 1.5 in spacers would be 120 bucks per pair.

What is my alternative? Are there studs that long?

Yell at me with facts.

Andrew
Mueller
the only person I know that does not "approve" of the bolt-on spacers is Zois and some tech inspectors down in the So-Cal area....Zois has had his come loose...why the other guys don't like them, who knows???? Could be based on fact or ignorance smile.gif

The bolt-on spacers are TUV approved (depending on brand of course).....

I like the longer studs and slip on spacers due to fewer parts in the equation....I'm running 90mm studs on the front with a 1.125" thick hubcentric spacer on my car........
Andyrew
Okly dokly.

As long as at the wcc they check my car and dont say "NO YOU CANT RUN!"

My dad is weary about them as well. IM not.

If Fiid is running 3in spacers with 295 tire on his car, Why cant I run 2 1/4 in on 255 tire on my car?

We'll find out!

Andrew (thanks mike, I'll see about those shocks right now.. Working on my front flares currently, actually giving my arms a rest..)

d914
I ran 54mm and 35mm bolt on spacers for a couple years on the track car. Used late offset wheels, 16x9 16x7, 245's on the back. No issues other than extra weight. NEVER loosened up. In fact a pain to take off. I have heard of slip on getting cocked and not flush???? 6 of one half dozen of another.
Andyrew
Alrighty then.

Running them on the track is good nuf for me.

Thanks

Anyone heard of one cracking or failing?

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 15 2005, 03:43 PM)
Anyone heard of one cracking or failing?

nope, never. only guy i know who ever said he personally have had trouble with them bolt-ons is zois.
he had the nuts come lose and everyone i asked agrees that he probably didn't torque 'em down right to begin with (hey zois wavey.gif )

i have been running the bolt-ons for 4 years now, including more than a full season of AX ...
no problems what-so-ever ...

[INSERT shameless plug]
btw. my set will be for sale soon as i needed some more spacing (see pic.)
[/shameless plug]

driving.gif Andy
Andyrew
Andy, how much, and how wide.

I'd be glad to buy from you!

Andrew
Joe Bob
Hey...all I know is the rule book in Zone 8 says they are not kosher....I had them on Frank and they came loose. I pounded the studs out, used them as spacers and then installed long studs. I "think" one reason they are not approved for DE/TT or racing is that it is hard to verify lugnut minimum turn depth without pulling the wheels...

I don't know who or what rule book they are going to use at the WCC/Willow event or even if there is going to BE a tech inspection.

Prolly a good idea to ask Howard...because...I simply don't know.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 15 2005, 04:37 PM)
Andy, how much, and how wide.
I'd be glad to buy from you!

1 1/4" for the front, 1 1/2" for the rear. dunno how much, have to think about it.

oh, and the ones i have *are* the TÜV approved kind ...
cool.gif Andy
Andyrew
Andy
Well, when you find out the price, consider it done.

Mike, I'll ask Drew, since he is coordinator of the track day.

Thanks

Andrew
Joe Bob
Spoke with Howard....the rules for tech are to be such as AX rules....spacers/adapter will be cool as well as MA helmets versus the more stringent SA helmets...."I" would suggest a helmet that is relatively new and DOT/Snell approved.

A vehicle in good condition, no loose wheel bearings, tied down and secured batteries, no loose crap in the cab or the trunk(s), brake lights working, no nasty oil or fluid leaks...etc....
neo914-6
Fiid is running 3in spacers with 295 tire on his car

Unless Fiid got new flares and wheels, that would be me... laugh.gif

Bill ran hard for a season with 1.7" and 1.1" spacers on this track car.
Andyrew
Lol, sorry Felix.. laugh.gif

Too many F's in this world for me to remember... My mind was in other places (like how I dont think the flares im gona be getting are going to be wide enough...)

rolleyes.gif

Mike, did howard mention if we still have to run with the top on?? I barely fit with my helmet and top on... And I know that my dad will not fit...

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 15 2005, 06:06 PM)
I barely fit with my helmet and top on...

you're not taller than i am and i fit in just fine ...

here's a little hint:
take out the seat cushion!

cool.gif Andy
Series9
100mm studs:
Series9
With rotor (mine fit on the outside of the hub) and 42mm of spacer. Stack 'em up:
Andyrew
Andy, I got my seats in. (at least my drivers)

biggrin.gif
jd74914
Could you post a pic of your seat installed?
Joe Bob
probably run with the top of....but I wold consider removing the seat pad to lower overall height....
xsboost90
i think the tech inspectors dont like the bolt on ones cuz you cant check torque on the lugs for the spacer w/o pulling the wheels off.
ws91420
The only issues I know of w/ spacers.

1. Your local safety inspections in VA spacers would be an automatic fail

2. If not done right you will put more stress on the wheel bearings leading to premature failure.

My .02
smrz914
I have 1.5" spacers at all 4 corners. Never had a problem in 3 years.

user posted image
SirAndy
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 15 2005, 07:37 PM)
you will put more stress on the wheel bearings leading to premature failure.

ANY spacer will do that, no matter if bolt-on or long studs ...

cool.gif Andy
dan10101
Pics of my seats...
dan10101
next
dan10101
Werkin on my front fenders... Think I almost got the flaring done with this one.
SirAndy
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Mar 15 2005, 07:48 PM)
Pics of my seats...

dude, where's your pedal board ???

confused24.gif Andy
dan10101
fender and the main tools I've been using. Finished the back portion a little since that pic.

Andrew
dan10101
No pedal board... I dont like it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Mar 15 2005, 07:53 PM)
No pedal board... I dont like it.

well, then say goodbye to your clutch tube ...

and i would carry a spare throttlecable and a spare clutch cable as well, you'll need them soon ...
icon8.gif Andy

PS: in case you wonder, the pedal board is there for a reason!
Andyrew
Fine, I'll put that on the list of things I need to do before I take it to the wcc...

Its one of those things I forgot to do.. and just left it.

So... About those spacers... lol
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 15 2005, 09:36 PM)
So... About those spacers... lol

well, if everything works out well, they'll be off the car this wekend ...

smash.gif Andy
Andyrew
Alright cool.

PM me when you decide on price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.