Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window defroster ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mountainroads
One of the electrical leads on my (apparently somewhat rare) rear window defroster has broken off where it attaches to the glass. I'd like to make functional again, but not at cost of cracking the glass. I'm wondering if enough heat can be applied to bond a dab of electrical solder and then reattach the broken lead, or if that is risking a crack. If so, then what is the preferred repair technique? Input appreciated. Thanks.

- MR
Mark Henry
I think every Canadian 914 had them...mine does and it was originally sold just north of you in Vancouver, BC.
NeunEinVier
Never tried it, but apparently solder paste is the ticket.
YouTube - Repairing a broken tab off the rear window defroster

Or if you want to avoid heat:
http://www.permatex.com/component/virtuema...adhesive-detail

YouTube - Permatex Demo: Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit
mountainroads
Thanks much for the tips, Neun and Cairo (below). Videos and suggestions appreciated.

- MR
Cairo94507
I would consult a glass shop and see if they have any suggestions.
mountainroads
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2015, 01:48 PM) *

I think every Canadian 914 had them...mine does and it was originally sold just north of you in Vancouver, BC.

Good point and that makes sense that it would almost be a standard delivery item in Canada. The apparent "rarity" comes from this being a -6, and I believe very few (if any ??) were imported directly into Canada. This car was originally purchased in Everett, Wa. and has remained in-state for it's entire life. Washingtonians appreciate a good defroster too. More for the humidity than the cold smile.gif

- MR
76-914
IIRC, rear window defrosters are available in an aftermarket kit. Scrape off the old and apply the new. I looked into them a few years back for my K Ghia. I can not attest to their effectiveness. beerchug.gif
Hank914
Kinda off topic but has anybody done a rear window mod that raises and lowers the rear window, like some Honda or other pick up trucks? I want more ventilation, and am thinking kinda like the soft window 912s. Not sure where the window would "roll" down to, or if I'm all messed up beer3.gif but I would love a back window in the 914. Thoughts?
JeffBowlsby
Go ahead...pop that rear window out and drive around for about 2 minutes and tell us what it does to your hearing.
sixnotfour
WHAT ?? he said...
maf914
The fixed rear window acts like a wind blocker, reducing the wrap-around turbulence from the wind directed overhead by the windshield. I always liked that characteristic. It's interesting that almost all modern convertibles, especially two-seaters, are now equipped with some form of wind blocker behind the seats. idea.gif
Valy
There is a repair kit for those things. It's a conductive paint that you paint on to repair contacts. You can glue the contact with epoxy to the glass and then paint over the connector and trace on glass remake the contact.
SLITS
Silver Conductive Epoxy (cold solder)
dangerranger01
You should keep this thread updated....I'm going to be in your boat here soon with my rear defrost so i wouldn't mind some guidance...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Dec 30 2015, 11:45 PM) *

You should keep this thread updated....I'm going to be in your boat here soon with my rear defrost so i wouldn't mind some guidance...

I 3M'd the rear window in really well, so hopefully age and weather will move things over towards taking it back out.... it was tricky getting it in with the bar in the way....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.