Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: registering a >= 1976 engine swap in CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
This is way off topic, and I'm sure the answer is going to be "run away", but I've been browsing the MK1 GTIs for a while and this one has popped up:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...oject-Grey-Hair

Seems like a great start, and pretty cheap. But... how hard would it be to get it registered in California? Anyone have any ideas?

-Steve
Mike Bellis
It needs to have all the smog equipment from the donor car. From the fuel tank to the engine and exhaust.

Then you need to go to a BAR approved referee station and have them certify the swap.
Mike Bellis
Based on the VW Vortex ad, it will be expensive to make it smogable...
Martin Baker
I have owned several MK1 GTI and Sciroccos. I love those cars. While I was in Germany I had an 80, and an 83 Pirelli Edition. Also had one of the US made 83 GTI's. I recently sold my 1980 MK1 Scirroco S.

MB
matthepcat
Actually I read the build thread. It's a diesel chassis.

NO SMOG!

Buy it! It's sweet!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...-grey-hare-quot
siverson
> It's a diesel chassis.
> NO SMOG!

I don't think that's how it works in CA...

?

-Steve

siverson
> Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
> Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:
> ...
> Diesel powered 1997 year model and older

Oh hmmmm... this is all so new to me...

-Steve
Andyrew
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 31 2015, 07:15 AM) *

> It's a diesel chassis.
> NO SMOG!

I don't think that's how it works in CA...

?

-Steve

Thats how it works in CA smile.gif

From DMV Website.
"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older."

Buy it! Put in a GT28RS Eliminator turbo, Get it tuned by a buddy of mine and have 300hp!
jmill
Man, I love the MK1 GTI's. Tried to get my 16 year old son to get one instead of a Honda. I used to race against the GTI in SCCA. It was crazy how the inside rear tire would always lift a foot or so in the air around every corner.
matthepcat
Yea, back in high school I had buddies that would buy the diesel K5 Blazers and yank the drivetrain for big block V8's for off-road rigs. This is back when smog year in CA was still 1964 or something.
Mike Bellis
Here's the problem...

To import it into California, DMV will do a VIN inspection. During this inspection they will discover the engine swap and you will be fuched. I have imported twice and they always look at the engine.

If it were already in CA then I would say go for it.
Andyrew
You could have someone from a non smog county register it under their name and then transfer ownership. Nothing illegal about it and it would bypass that problem...
DBCooper
Worst case pull the engine, trailer it to get the VIN verified, then take it home and put it back together.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 31 2015, 05:37 PM) *

You could have someone from a non smog county register it under their name and then transfer ownership. Nothing illegal about it and it would bypass that problem...

That will not get you around the DMV VIN inspection. Every vehicle imported is required to have the VIN inspection. There is a slim chance that AAA might be able to do it if you are a member. CHP can do it but they might also discover the engine swap.

This is a no go... Not worth the headache... Or the $$$ it will cost to swap back in a diesel engine if caught...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 31 2015, 06:21 PM) *

Worst case pull the engine, trailer it to get the VIN verified, then take it home and put it back together.

That is a good option and should work. But a little suspicious to DMV. This is not the first diesel car with a gas engine swap.
damesandhotrods
It has been a while since I was around anyone with a pre-1997 Diesel but as I remember it Diesels did not require smog inspections. But they were required to be inspected to verify it was still Diesel powered…
strawman
I swapped a 1997 VW Passat TDI into my 1993 Eurovan Westy, and just got it BAR'd. No more smog!

I'm now swapping an S52 out of a 1998 BMW M3 into my 1996 BMW 318ti(replacing a BAR'd M52 out 0f a 328i). Should be a real monster. I need to stop these "side projects" and finish the turbo Suby into my 914...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.