Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: factory oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
have to change the oil cooler. can it be done in the car without removing the motor

Bernie
john rogers
Hi Bernie, if I remember correctly you have a four? I checked with my shop and they said no. There is an article on the Pelican site that covers seal replacement and it says the cooler could move very little, just enough to put in the new seals. Here's the link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ooler_seals.htm
Dave_Darling
I am told that there is a tiny possibility that you could unscrew the studs that the cooler mounts onto, and drop the cooler and studs together. You would naturally have to put the new cooler and the studs up there as a unit, then screw the studs back into the case, then the nuts onto the studs. (Not to mention the outboard bracket you have to remove or dismantle.)

Umm, even if this is possible, it will likely take about eight times as long as dropping the motor and doing the job the right way. And the risk of having the threads come out of the engine case with the studs is definitely non-zero.

--DD
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 15 2005, 07:57 PM)
I am told that there is a tiny possibility that you could unscrew the studs that the cooler mounts onto, and drop the cooler and studs together. You would naturally have to put the new cooler and the studs up there as a unit, then screw the studs back into the case, then the nuts onto the studs. (Not to mention the outboard bracket you have to remove or dismantle.)

Umm, even if this is possible, it will likely take about eight times as long as dropping the motor and doing the job the right way. And the risk of having the threads come out of the engine case with the studs is definitely non-zero.

--DD

Yes, it CAN be done with the engine in the car!!!! (And why does everyone not believe me when I say this???)

I did it that way 6 times. It worked every time. Just follow the procedure for replacing the seals, and then unscrew the 2 long studs. The cooler will fall out. When you go to put it back, just put the studs in the cooler before trying to put it in. Then install the seals like the article outlines.

Connollyr
My question is how do you unscrew them without stripping?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Connollyr @ Feb 10 2006, 09:42 AM)
My question is how do you unscrew them without stripping?

Well, if you feel compelled to strip while working on your car, I can see you have some psychological issues that you might want to resolve ........... The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
its easier and faster to do drop it.... pull cooler...replace cooler and bolt the engine back up.....
airsix
Replacing the cooler with the engine in the car would be like eating pickles without taking them out of the jar. You'll end up with sore lips, a headache, and a mess.

Once a long time ago I changed my cooler seals with the engine in the car. Never again. Took 4 times longer than just pulling the motor.

-Ben M.
Connollyr
Well your correct about time my car has been up on blocks for about three weeks while I try and get those darns seals on I am ready to "give up" and pull the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.