Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing engine tins with engine in car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
How much of a pita is it to remove the tins with the engine in the car?
The ones i want to remove are the rear and left and right side mains to get access to the top of the heads.

Also the stock cht sensor is only used for the Djet right?
thieuster
Removing the engine from the car is not too difficult. I would consider this first. Gives you the chance to check a few other items as well: fan, alternator, belt, flaps, clutch.

The first time (and only time) that I've removed the engine, it took me the best part of a morning. But that had also to do with the fact that (A) the car just got in the workshop (B) I was unfamiliar with the 'look and feel' of the engine © I had to use the manual and the Pelican site every 5 mins or so to check (D) the engine and gearbox were extremely filthy. Sand, clay, oil residues...

When the tins are off, it's worth cleaning them, blasting them and have them powder coated. It all looks like new!

I am sure that it can be done a lot quicker.

Menno
falcor75
IPB Image

I've just put the engine back in this summer so I know everything is ok with it.
Just want to access the head to grind out a little material above the spark plugs to be able to fit my sparkplug headtemp sensors.

Got the rear tin out easily, had too loosen the front one a bit too before the right side one could be wrangled out.Wasnt too bad with the rear decklid removed so I could sit in the trunk and work from there.
falcor75
Got them both out now....wasnt too bad.... Tomorrow I'll know if they go back as easily..... smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I find that the left side one is more of a pain than the right side one. It hangs up on the dipstick tube, but I can wiggle it around enough to remove it.

Doable with the engine in the car, yes. Annoying, also yes.

--DD
bigkensteele
I am not sure why people go to such great lengths to not remove the engine. Once you have done it a time or two, it is really quite easy, and you get a chance to look things over. Plus, it is super easy to adjust the valves!
falcor75
Im a few weeks from startup of the engine again after a three year restoration so pulling it from the car just wasnt an option. Every nut bolt and seal outside of the longblock has already been replaced. Its also winter here so the wife wants to be able to pull her Saab into the garage for the low temp days. That means I cant occupy the whole garage at the moment.

Now about the stock cht sensor. Its only for the Djet? I hope so because I didnt bother putting it back in. biggrin.gif
sixaddict
Mats:
Nobody has said it ....but that is super looking engine and bay ...Very nice job!
Cheers,
Terry
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 2 2016, 01:46 AM) *
Now about the stock cht sensor. Its only for the Djet?

Pretty much the same one is used for L-jet.... And lots of aftermarket injection setups also use it for warm-up information.

--DD
boxsterfan
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 1 2016, 05:05 AM) *

IPB Image

I've just put the engine back in this summer so I know everything is ok with it.
Just want to access the head to grind out a little material above the spark plugs to be able to fit my sparkplug headtemp sensors.

Got the rear tin out easily, had too loosen the front one a bit too before the right side one could be wrangled out.Wasnt too bad with the rear decklid removed so I could sit in the trunk and work from there.

When I get done, that's how I want my engine to look. Nice and clean!! Those ITB's look great!! Just looks so much better without all that "stuff' in there (though I know you have some stuff to add in still).

What's your build? 2056? 2270?
falcor75
Thanks! smile.gif I love how the silver engine tins make the engine bay so much brighter and nicer to work in. The engine is a stock 2.0 as far as I know. It was completely rebuilt in the US in 2001 with new pistons and camshaft but the receipt only specifies "Euro pistons and cylinders" and a $352 Camshaft. + all the other small stuff. Overall cost was $4050.

Currently I'm just trying to get it running with the new itb's and ecu and to get to enjoy it this summer and sort out all the small stuff that follows with a 3 year restoration.

Once that is all done I have a spare 1.7 that will be the base of a 2270 or 2316 build.
Amphicar770
One key factor is if the tins have ever been removed in the past. I now have my engine out and am in process of removing the tins. Even after days of soaking with aerokroil some of those dang cheesehead screws needed a torch and an impact screwdriver before they would budge. I do. It think I could have removed them in car.

I am also going to remove aluminum fan shroud to clean that up. Any tricks to removal.
Olympic 914
Like the silver tins..

If mine was not already together I would go with silver too. very clean look.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.