Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler selection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
I have a 1976 with carbs so no smog worries. I need to find a muffler for the 2056 engine which fits the stock rear valance which has the notch on the driver side.
I am not into loud but am wanting good performance.
Thanks in advance.
Brian
TheCabinetmaker
Why do you need a new muffler? Is the old one rusted out? Changing muffler on a 76 to increase performance is a waste of money. Better to spend it on backdating the heat exchanger system. I've installed two Bursch units in the last year. Extremely disappointed. Poorly made, cheap paint that burns off in an hour. Design is wrong. They have to beat a large dent in the muffler to make it fit. This loosens the insides. Then it rattles and backfires.
80cap
I have a good set of heat exchangers. The muffler is an old glass pack. So I need a muffler and I am seeking one that fits well and has the correct amount of performance.
Brian
80cap
I am not sure what year heat exchangers I have. This car has no smog equipment and we have no smog checks where I live.
Brian
TheCabinetmaker
In that case, take your muffler to a muffler shop. They can replace the glass pack with a more conventional unit. You need to make sure the tip goes back at the same angle and location.
rhodyguy
Year correct heat exchangers will be triangular shaped at the muffler flanges (3 bolts). Earlier heat exchangers are trapaziodle at the flanges (4 bolts). Early 1.7/1.8s have a pronounced kick up at the flange end and the 2.0 versions are relatively flat at the flange end. Muffler brackets are dif for each version and muffler piping is dif as well.
Mblizzard
Assume it I was a 2.0 to start with? Well I hated the cost but loved the results. Check out Tangerine Racing Evo for the stock 2.0 heat exchangers. I went through multiple mufflers before getting to this and everything thing else I did was a waste of money.
AndyB
If your looking for just a replacement muffler, I would say look at a muffler from Racer Chris of CFR and Tangerine Racing.
Mblizzard
Stainless steel beats paint eveytime. Just saying!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.