Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I be worried?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nemisus
Do I decided to spend my first day of the year actually working on the 914!

Not too long into my cleaning and removing thing I came across what I feel is alarming..

Excuse my ignorance, does anyone have any idea why these 3 areas would be JB welded?

I am tempted to remove it to see, but wanted to ask the experts.

IPB Image

thanks in advance!

Nemi
bandjoey
Something like a freeze plug. Called an oil something or the other. Looks like a tin plug hammered in the block. If it pops out you spill all your oil in a minute and blow the motor. Most everyone epoxy so them in for added protection.

Happy New Year!
stugray
Its fine.

However the proper way to fix that is to remove the oil galley plugs, tap the holes, and put in threaded plugs.
Dave_Darling
Those holes are where the oil galleries were drilled into the block. There are several on this end of the engine, and one or two on the other end as well. It was SOP for quite a while to epoxy over them any time they were accessible, to help keep them in place.

After 20-40 years of heat cycles, some of them get loose and start weeping oil, and some pop out alltogether (usually on a cold start) and dump the whole engine's worth of oil on the ground.

The current thought is that the best fix is done during an engine rebuild; remove the plugs and replace them with threaded pipe plugs. Best done during a rebuild so you can clean out any chips from tapping the threads. While some are confident they can prevent the chips from getting into the engine, it's easiest if you can clean things thoroughly after cutting the threads.

--DD
EdwardBlume
Engines are fun to clean and take forever!
dangrouche
here is my writeup of the process, with the engine intact. Its been six or seven years and motor is still going strong.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...ation&st=20
Nemisus
Thank you guys for the feedback. Didn't get near as much done as I had planned for the weekend. I suppose spending any time with the 914 is time well spent.

Cheers

Nemi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.