Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will a 1.8 flywheel, pp and clutch work on a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whizone
Guys I have a good 2.0 engine in need of a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch. I was wondering if I could take those off my bad 1.8 engine and utilize them on the 2.0? I was not sure if the two engines used different ones or they were the same? Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
Simple answer. Yes. You may need to shim or remove a shim from the throw out bearing pivot ball on the trans to compensate for difference in flywheel thickness, if any.
Mark Henry
You will also need to measure and adjust your flywheel end play, plus new main seal and flywheel Oring.
whizone
got the main seal and Oring but dont get the end play adjustment? the old flywheel bolt tops were shiny from rubbing the old clutch disc. Does that have anything to do with the end play? thanks.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2016, 10:55 AM) *

You will also need to measure and adjust your flywheel end play, plus new main seal and flywheel Oring.

Dave_Darling
Nope, the end play is for the crank/fan/flywheel assembly relative to the crankcase. The clutch disk is held in relation to the flywheel independently of the rest of it, so they do not affect each other.

You measure flywheel end play by pushing the flywheel in and yanking it back out again. It should move a very little amount; if none at all there is a lot more friction between the rotating assembly and the case and the engine can easily seize. If too much, the main bearings will get pounded out and the rotating assembly will slop forward and aft and wear out the crankcase.

It gets set with shims that live behind the main seal. You want to use three shims, not less and not more, to set the specified end play.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(whizone @ Jan 2 2016, 12:52 PM) *

got the main seal and Oring but dont get the end play adjustment? the old flywheel bolt tops were shiny from rubbing the old clutch disc. Does that have anything to do with the end play? thanks.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2016, 10:55 AM) *

You need to make sure the new flywheel you are going to use has not been ground down as much as the old one.

There is a spec that shows the difference between the mounting face of the,pressure plate and the friction surface of the flywheel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.