Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2002 EJ25 for a $100
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Leaks oil and consumes coolant. For a conversion is this a bad place to start?
Look like the engine is mostly complete and comes with some extra parts.
JRust
You won't get yourself in trouble for $100. Sounds like head gasket issues which is common. Problem would be how hot they let it get. At the least it's one you can screw with while you figure out if you want to go suby of not. You can get a full rebuild done in the $1500-1800 range. If you've done any motor work before. You can do it yourself much cheaper. If you haven't done it yourself. It's a good cheap motor to learn on. Even if you screw it up your only out $100
cwpeden
Thanks, that what I figured.
Just waiting to hear back from the seller. Curious to see how much of the electrics is included.

Chris H.
Yeah $100 is a great deal. Jamie's right, There's a good chance it's OK unless it got REALLY hot or there's more to the story than just leaking gaskets. If I come across an older EJ25 I will change the head gaskets anyway. It's pretty easy to do with the engine out of the car. The oil leak would be easy to fix too. You can get a gasket set which has all the OEM Subaru rubber seals plus the head gaskets for not too much. Not sure if the engine is an EJ251 or 253, but the gasket kit for the WHOLE engine is only $270 at subaruparts.com.

2002 Outback Engine Seal Set

This is the one for the EJ253 (Outback) just as an example. There is also an EJ251 (Forester engine) for 2002 so make sure to order the correct one for the engine depending on which one it is. Might as well swap the timing belt while you're at it. You'll take it off to do the head gaskets.

Hope it works out for you. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.