Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Barney
Hi everybody, my names Barney and im based in the UK. I just imported a 73 1.7 914 from Missouri in Summer 2015. Ive got it all sorted and registered and whatnot. When it first arrived the wipers would not work, a combination of a new wiper switch (from a beetle) and a bit of lubrication and the wipers worked, a little bit. enough for the MOT test. But sadly they have now died, im assuming the motor is shot. Anyone got any ideas on what to do next? Is the motor unique to the 914 or can I find one from a VW or anything else? Parts in the UK are scarce.
Many thanks

Barney
Darren C
QUOTE(Barney @ Jan 2 2016, 09:35 PM) *

Hi everybody, my names Barney and im based in the UK. I just imported a 73 1.7 914 from Missouri in Summer 2015. Ive got it all sorted and registered and whatnot. When it first arrived the wipers would not work, a combination of a new wiper switch (from a beetle) and a bit of lubrication and the wipers worked, a little bit. enough for the MOT test. But sadly they have now died, im assuming the motor is shot. Anyone got any ideas on what to do next? Is the motor unique to the 914 or can I find one from a VW or anything else? Parts in the UK are scarce.
Many thanks

Barney

Hi Barney,

Never assume anything with a 914. You need to investigate the fault on your wipers with hands on, not from your armchair on line.
You need to first test you have power at the wiper motor. if not it could be a fuse, the switch or the wiper relay.
If you have good power (12V) you need to then see if the linkage has seized or the motor has failed. This is best done by pulling out the assembly and taking off the link from the motor drive and seeing if it moves easy. You can also plug the loose motor back in the car and try running it linkage free.
These simple tests will tell you where the problem is.

If you need a new motor I'd try Angus in Banbury who's close by to you. Relays you can get from main dealer or on line easy, linkages can be dismantled and rebuilt too with little cost other than time.

Good luck
Dave_Darling
You'll have to pull the fuel tank to get the wiper motor and linkage out. I think you don't have to pull the fresh air fan assembly--I hope so, at least, because it's a huge pain in the bum to do that. And easy to break the fresh air box.

--DD
914Sixer
Does wiper linkage move with motor disconnected? Most of the time the motor is good but the shafts are frozen in the tubes. All the linkage has to come apart to repair.
GaroldShaffer
double post confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 2 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Does wiper linkage move with motor disconnected? Most of the time the motor is good but the shafts are frozen in the tubes. All the linkage has to come apart to repair.

agree.gif Quick test. First verify fuse is good. Flip the wiper arms back off the windshield. Now turn the wipers on, do they move? If so, do they move normal or very slowly? If they move chances are the shafts are caked up with rust/crud/gunk. You could try taking every thing off on the top side of the cowl and then use some Penetrating oil on the exposed shafts. Give them a soak twice a day for a few days. Once done put the top side back together, flip wipers off windshield and try them again. Do they wipe faster? Keep repeating these steps until wipers move freely.

If you have done all this, checked the fuse, verified there is power to the motor and it still doesn't work then could be the wiper switch itself. I have never seen a bad wiper motor before, 95% of the time the shafts are frozen OR the switch is bad.

If replacing the wiper assembly then you will need to pull the gas tank, disconnect the ventilation hoses, drop the fresh air box loose and the pull the wipe assembly. Don't forget the rubber bushing on the backside that is attached to the firewall under the dash.

Trying to pull the wiper motor with the assembly in place is a real PITA. Hope this helps.

Oh, once your issue is resolved, once a month flip the wipers back off the windshield and run them for a 5 - 10 "wipes". I had the same issue with my 70, after a few days of soaking with Penetrating oil I was able to get things working properly. I made sure once a month to 'exercise' the wipers to keep them free and moving. When I put it away for winter storage I always gave the wiper shafts a few drops of oil to keep things free moving.
thieuster
^^^ all of the above ^^^

May I add: check the connections at the ends of the fuse. Often, dirt, grime etc builds up making connections 'iffy'. When you buy an older car, it's always a good idea to change all fuses for new and correct ones.

I had some bad experiences way back when I was a student. I bought a car and after a short while, smoke appeared from between the front seats: the contact of the brake lever between the front seat had shortened due to the fact that the previous owner had dropped some coins between the seats. In stead of fixing the problem, he had replaced the original fuse for a 40AMP version...

Menno
Barney
Hi Everyone, thanks for the info. Mechanic who did the work for the mot said he had the motor out as he had to solder a new connection on it, then ran it on his bench for a good ten minutes. He also lubricated the mechanism and replaced the switch with one from a 1303 Beetle. They worked then but not well. Ive also noticed that the fan has stopped working, i will start at the weekend with some screwdrivers and a volt meter but wondered if the fan and the wipers could be linked?
Cheers
Barney
jim_hoyland
Fuse # 8 serves both the wipers and blower
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 8 2016, 08:53 AM) *

agree.gif
Barney
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 8 2016, 09:02 AM) *

agree.gif

This sounds very promising, thanks. Ill let you know if I have any luck.

Barney
porschetub
QUOTE(Barney @ Jan 9 2016, 05:15 AM) *

agree.gif

Barney

My wipers didn't work from the start after I purchased my car (roller,no engine),I had my tank out anyway so I tested the motor with an independent power supply all was good.
Traced wiring back and had power @ the fuse but no control from the switch,pulled the switch and column and found 2 wires had from the wiper switch had pushed upwards out of the wire holder.
Repaired that and the wipers went fine for a while then would fault out 50% of the time,pulled the switch again and found bad contacts so repaired that and 'touch wood' all is still working.
As mentioned there is a lot to look for and fault find,also be aware that some of the new switches aren't very good quality,thats the reason I repaired mine,you could try looking for one out of an early 924 or mk1 golf as I believe they are the same or an original factory one from the beetle.
Darren C
QUOTE(Barney @ Jan 8 2016, 04:15 PM) *

agree.gif

Barney

Hi Barney,

As I posted earlier there is also a relay. This is common to the blower motor and the wipers too. When I rebuilt my car I had no wipers or blower, it was the relay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.