Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FB914
I went to the local auto supplier and they tell me there is no optima available for a 914, I know that's not true. Can anybody help? Thanks

Frank B
azbill
I'm using Optima "Red Top" black base. Works good - bought the battery from Costco.
lapuwali
Don't ask specifically about the 914. Just order the Group 34 Red Top. There's also a hold-down clamp that uses the foot of the battery, which should come with it. Make sure you get it.
reverie
You don't want the Model 34 Red Top. For the stock location, it is preferable to get the correct battery.. the Model 34R Red Top.

They can be ordered online, but support your local speed/Porsche shops if you can.
jim912928
I got my 34R at Sears....was pretty simple.
GaroldShaffer
I ordered my Optima battery from them directly. Once I installed it I found that my stock battery clamp just didn't bite onto the battery, plus the (sharp) edge of the clamp rubbed on the bottom of the cells.

Get the 'Group 78' GM puck adapter too...free on request from Optima. It replaces your stock battery clamp and accommodates the Optima perfectly. Just Call Optima they will send one right out.

I have a red top 34R...the R stands for 'reverse terminals...which is what our 914 cars need. The standard 34 fits too, but the terminals are a little further away.
boxstr
Check the Yellow Page under automobile battery distributors. They may be able to guide you to a supplier who sells the Optimas "rejects". These are the batteries that are sent back from the outside dealers. Thye check them, may have a scratch or blemish. They charge them and sell them for about 1/2 of the big retailers.
CCLINLETYOURFINGERSDOTHEWALKING
mistro
I got my 34R at Sears too. It's a special order, but there is no extra charge. Was at $129, but the order was delayed for a week or two, so they gave me $20 off, which was a nice plus. I had to dremmel out a bit of the base to get it to fit into my stock battery tray but no big deal. Works and looks great. Rgds, Michael
boxstr
Here is a battery that I used on a Miata I had. Very light,compared to the Optima, and it will fit alot easier, you will need to fabricate a hold down.
I am going to try these and see how well they holdup in the 914. http://stores.yahoo.com/specmiatasuperstor...ore/wemiba.html

CCLINDRAINME
GWN7
If you can't find one locally, there is a guy in Milwaukee that sells them on Ebay. $109.00 + freight ($20?) Here
Gary
The 51R is 12 lbs lighter than the 34R. I bought mine from these guys at $129, free shipping: http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?...p?recnumber=496
tat2dphreak
autozone has them, I got mine at a place called batteries plus... they have lots of batteries there wink.gif dunno what the "plus" is supposed to be though
iiibdsiil
Pepboys has them for the best price, $130.

If they ain't got it in stock, they can order one.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Mar 16 2005, 06:53 PM)
Pepboys has them for the best price, $130.

If they ain't got it in stock, they can order one.

I feel better... I paid 110 after tax
TheCabinetmaker
Optima is made by Interstate. They have stores everywhere. I buy mine for 99 bucks right here in Okieland, and have the advantaqe of the dealer store warranty, although I have not have one fail in three years. Check your local yellow pages. wink.gif
FB914
Thanks everybody
iiibdsiil
Damn, ya'll get em cheap. These the full size ones?

Oh, this is red top that ya'll are talking about, so prices are probably lower. My bad there.

And I am surprised because I worked with a place that had an interstate truck account, and the cheapest I could get was $140 out the door I believe, and that was the price to my boss. But that was a fullsize yellowtop, which I believe are more $$$ than the reds.

I could be wrong though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.