Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AC ? a different question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Pegasus racing sells a unit that is driven by an electric motor much like a home refrigerator.
No engine mounted components needed.
This must be what is used for AC in race cars.
Anyone have experience with this ?
Amphicar770
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
lol-2.gif

OK, but seriously, it's probably also similar to what they use on the EVs, since they don't want the power loss of a belt driven unit.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JmuRiz
I would think you'd need a heavy duty alternator and maybe deep cycle battery confused24.gif
zambezi
EV's do use electric compressors, but they are also well above 12volts.
GeorgeRud
To run on 12 volts, these compressors have to draw way too many amps to work easily in our application. It would be great to be able to simply have the condenser, compressor, and minimal hose runs from the front trunk to the dash, but we're not quite there yet. As I'd love to put AC in my 914-6 conversion car, I've been following these compressors for quite some time.
Jonny Retrofit
I have a prototype in test. initially aimed at the 911, but I've just bought a 914. A long way to go yet though...

Picture here:

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.p...g-will-it-work/
rgalla9146
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 3 2016, 06:52 PM) *

To run on 12 volts, these compressors have to draw way too many amps to work easily in our application. It would be great to be able to simply have the condenser, compressor, and minimal hose runs from the front trunk to the dash, but we're not quite there yet. As I'd love to put AC in my 914-6 conversion car, I've been following these compressors for quite some time.

We agree on the simplicity that this offers.
I was hoping someone would have first hand experience.
I'm asking because I want AC in my conversion car too.
How are endurance race cars air conditioned ?
I was hopeful this was a key part.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jonny Retrofit @ Jan 3 2016, 07:25 PM) *

I have a prototype in test. initially aimed at the 911, but I've just bought a 914. A long way to go yet though...

Picture here:

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.p...g-will-it-work/

Looks great !
Please keep us informed.
Jonny Retrofit

45A from the scroll compressor I have on test. Not crazy but certainly needs some power management.

Can you guys access the link I posted ok?
cpavlenko
Wow, that automobile has a real good coefficient drag... lol-2.gif
rgalla9146

Hello George (?)
Will a 160 amp '89 911 alternator do the trick ?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Jonny Retrofit @ Jan 3 2016, 07:54 PM) *

45A from the scroll compressor I have on test. Not crazy but certainly needs some power management.

Can you guys access the link I posted ok?

Yes, the link works.
Does your test rig have a charger on the battery ?
bandjoey
Not only Wow but a cool web site. Bookmarked to follow.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 3 2016, 08:02 PM) *

Hello George (?)
Will a 160 amp '89 911 alternator do the trick ?

I was thinking the same thing. Not a problem for a 3.2 or 3.6
boxsterfan
You can install a 150AMp (or even 230AMP) GM alternator in a 914. I believe Mark at Original Customs did this. Can't remember if it had external or internal voltage regulator on it. Some don't care, but some like the voltage regulator external especially in a 914 where there is a ton of heat down there.

GeorgeRud
Jeg's has a unit for sale that could possibly work, but it does draw a fair amount of current as well. Not very large, so it could be fir into the front trunk. I'm just not able to invest $1500 to try it quite yet, but it may be a viable option.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 4 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Jeg's has a unit for sale that could possibly work, but it does draw a fair amount of current as well. Not very large, so it could be fir into the front trunk. I'm just not able to invest $1500 to try it quite yet, but it may be a viable option.

Doooh!
George you're right, it was Jegs that carries the compressor, not Pegasus.
There is also a discussion on the VintageAir site about electric compressors.
It's their opinion also, that electric compressors are not viable yet.
Don't forget that street rodders can attach a monster alternator with room and power to spare.
If a big domestic alternator/battery combo can't handle it, can a 160 amp 911 alt./optima battery work ?
Our cabins are small but so are early coupes.
JonnyRetrofit is using a neat compressor in his test rig. Good work !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.