Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: good street tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vincesix
I have 8 by 15" wheels. So far dunlop sp8000 is the only tire i can find. Anyone know of another brand. I dont want to run 225's.
DougC
I'm with you Vince I'm looking for 245s for my 8x15s. Any idea how the SP8000 stacks up, may be a descent tire for the street. Where are you finding them?

Doug C
Joe Ricard
Seems they get bad reviews from cars driven aggressively. Question .... whay do you want to bump up the tire width above 225? I think it would produce a large amount of crown. A narrower tire may have a better profile and proved better grip. I like these

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...commentStatus=P I have them in the 195/50-15 on my street rims and they are great.
DougC
Joe - I like the wider tire because they will be going on my street car that I'm putting a six in and I figure more rubber is not necessarily a bad thing. Although I know it can have it's drawbacks too. It will still be overkill I'm sure but I really like the look (flared street car) I definately wouldn't do it on a car with a smaller engine. I actually have brand new 245/50/15 Euro T/As mounted now but I'd like and will need better tires eventually and I believe these are now out of production. If this size is no longer available I'll certainly be getting a set of 225s.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
i run the Yoko AVS ES-100 on the 911's 8x16's in 245-45/16 (and 225-45/16 on 7's front.) i like them but i can tell you from recent personal experience that they are very, very slippery on snow and downright treacherous on ice. surprisingly, they don't seem to mind the cold as much as some other performance tires - as long as it is cold and dry. and they are great in the wet - as long as it is hot and wet ...
Brett W
I ran 225-50/15 SP8000 on my street car for two years. I never had any problems until they were worn out. They stick great, never any problems in rain or snow. When they get old they get hard. Hard tires don't grip at all. Crashed the car partially because of the tires.

You have now seen the drawbacks to wide 15in wheels. You might try the Falken Azenis. I know the Bridgestone Potenza SO3 is a great tire available in that width. Probably a better tire than the SP8000. You might look and see if the Kuhmo 712 is available in the a 225-15 or even a 245.

225 is the right size for an 8in wheel. The 245 is actually too big if you look at it from an engineering perspective.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 16 2005, 08:44 AM)
I ran 225-50/15 SP8000 on my street car for two years. I never had any problems until they were worn out. They stick great, never any problems in rain or snow. When they get old they get hard. Hard tires don't grip at all. Crashed the car partially because of the tires.

You have now seen the drawbacks to wide 15in wheels. You might try the Falken Azenis. I know the Bridgestone Potenza SO3 is a great tire available in that width. Probably a better tire than the SP8000. You might look and see if the Kuhmo 712 is available in the a 225-15 or even a 245.

225 is the right size for an 8in wheel. The 245 is actually too big if you look at it from an engineering perspective.

agree.gif
Yea what Brett said. I grippier tire is better than a wider non grippy tire. confused24.gif
But what is this snow thing you speak of??? YOKO EVS is definately NOT a M+S tire. Summer time drive it like you stole it tire.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 16 2005, 11:44 AM)
225 is the right size for an  8in wheel.  The 245 is actually too big if you look at it from an engineering perspective.

ijust went here: TireRack ES-100 Spec Page

where it said this:

Rim
Width

8"

so that's what i used...

however - only the Dunlop and a Hoosier competition tire are shown for 245-50/15 (and they don't show any 245-45 ...)
Joe Bob
Hated the SPs....too easy to flat spot.
Brett W
I once had an experience with that white stuff. Really odd, couldn't understand it. Haven't seen it since. I drove my car everyday for two years so I ran into some odd weather. No such thing as a summer tire. If you are a real driver then run the stickiest tire you can get year round.

Mike, I spun my car out in the middle of the downtown one night shortly after I got those tires, never had a problem. In fact, those tire wore better than any other tires i have owned. When they were dead, they had the same amount of wear all the way across the face. Couldn't beleive they were that good. But others results obviously do vary.

The cervix has Kuhmo 712s and I am pretty happy with them. They stick well, but they are the noisiest tires on the planet. Sounds like I have a constantly failing wheel bearing when I roll into a turn.

Competition tires and street tires will vary as far as sidewall construction goes. A hoosier race tire will have a much stiffer sidewall to compensate for being crammed on a skinny rim. Some classes require a spec wheel width but not a tire width. If you cram large street tire onto a skinny rim you can cause the center of the tread face to buldge out and lower the amount of tire in contact with the road.
Dave_Darling
Damn, I loved my SP8000 tires. I was sad that they discontinued them! Great hard-compound street tire, particularly for the time. They got hard and slick when they wore down to the wear bars, and I'm sure they would have suck-o-rama'd in the snow. But they gripped well when fresh!

The ones they have on hand now may be quite a few years old....

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.