Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing stuff - Which 1st Engine or trailing arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi All,

Working on the 914 definitely becomes a case of shipwrights disease.

Need to replace my CV joints. Well, might as well do the trailing arm bearings and bushings if I am going to do that. Oh, I need to remove the heat exchangers, that seems much easier with engine out. Well, I've been wanting to clean up the engine tin so maybe time to finally pull the engine. ....

So, now that I am thinking of pulling the engine AND the trailing arms AND the axles, what is the proper sequence for removal?

Thanks.

Mike
Andyrew
Axles then either engine or rear susp. Doesnt matter at all.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 3 2016, 02:31 PM) *

Axles then either engine or rear susp. Doesnt matter at all.

Thanks. Do the heat exchangers have to come out to remove the axles? It looks like they (exchangers) would be a lot easier to remove once engine is out of car.
TheCabinetmaker
Heat exchangers first. The nuts are hard to get to with engine out of car unless you turn the engine over. You can pull the entire exhaust in one unit. 8 nuts at the head, and 2 on the trans tail cover at the muffler mount bracket. I have a lift and still do it this way. Makes everything else easy to access.
TheCabinetmaker
Actually, the first thing to do is drain all the oil, sump, and filter.
Amphicar770
And so it begins ....

Removed the heat exchangers and exhaust a few minutes ago. I was quite happy when I noticed a good coating of anti-sieze compound on the head studs (thank you previous owner who put the stainless exchangers in car). One of studs screwed out from the head but nothing broke. I am again reminded that the lift in my garage is the best investment I ever made.

I certainly wish I had removed the exchangers a long time ago as having them out of the way provides a whole lot easier access to many other components. Of course I am now thinking that the grungy looking starter and alternator should be replaced or rebuilt while I am going at it, the list grows.

Next step will be the axles and trailing arms. Once those are out I will determine if I go all the way and drop the engine / tranny (right now I am thinking I will do so). I have to say that owning a 914 is pushing my mechanical experiences to a new level.

I'll keep everyone posted as I make progress. So far, replacing the CV joints has grown to:

- New axle assemblies
- Restore the trailing arms (wheel bearings, bushings, bead blast and paint or powdercoat).
Assuming I drop engine ...
- Rebuild or replace both starter and alternator
- Stainless fuel lines
- Probably do the clutch while engine is out
- Clean engine and trans (hot water pressure wash)
- Remove and refinish all the engine tin
- Clean up engine compartment (fortunately only surface rust where paint has gone bad, car is remarkably rust free).

Amphicar770
Trailing arms removed. Next step, press out wheel hub and bearings.

Of course the list of items to address grows.

- Send out calipers to Eric at PMB for rebuild
Chris Pincetich
Go ahead, drop that engine! You know you want to happy11.gif
My advice is just be tender with the FI wiring, if you have the OEM FI. Those wires can be brittle and don't like being moved. I would maybe not advise a pressure wash of the engine if you want to keep all the electrical components (that I assume are working) happy.

Good luck beerchug.gif
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Jan 7 2016, 11:42 AM) *

Go ahead, drop that engine! You know you want to happy11.gif
My advice is just be tender with the FI wiring, if you have the OEM FI. Those wires can be brittle and don't like being moved. I would maybe not advise a pressure wash of the engine if you want to keep all the electrical components (that I assume are working) happy.

Good luck beerchug.gif

Yeah, it seems pretty likely that I will drop the engine. Then i will officially be in "the club". I did replace the FI harness a few weeks ago with one from Jeff Bowlsby so should be god in that area.

Trailing arm rubber bushings do not look bad, I wonder if they may have been replaced in the past. Wheel bearing has only minimal play but does sound a bit gritty. Oh well, at least I will know they are all new and this also gives me a chance to blast and repaint or powder coat the trailing arms. (will probably just go with the Eastwood Chasis epoxy primer followed by their Chasis black satin paint). New axles just shipped from Jim Ellis.

I do not drive the 914 in the winter so this keeps me out of trouble!

LowBridge
if you are going to drop the engine/trans then a must on the list is a clutch/pressure plate and throw-out bearing
Amphicar770
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jan 7 2016, 12:21 PM) *

if you are going to drop the engine/trans then a must on the list is a clutch/pressure plate and throw-out bearing

Already sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. Picked it up last year on sale. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.