Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:but 914 related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveSr
I picked this up last Saturday from a high school,they were going to throw it out!
It's a Southbend 9"x4' toolroom lathe. The parts guys at Southbend Lathe say it was shipped on January 29th 1964 and most all parts are still available. boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif

SteveSr
airsix
QUOTE (SteveSr @ Mar 16 2005, 09:56 AM)
I picked this up last Saturday from a high school,they were going to throw it out!

Throw it out? Throw it out????? Unbelieveable.

VERY nice score, Steve. Very nice.

-Ben M. (muttering to self "thou shalt not covet. thou shalt not covet...")
ChrisReale
Parts can still be had, but you will probably have to hunt them down. Those old lathes are built top last forever. Throwing that out would be equal to throwing a treasure chest out. Nice score. Make sure there is no rust issues, and if there is, take care of it. Make sure the headstock is oiled and clean, sometimes tools used in highschools are not treated well. Looks like yours is in good shape.
Kargeek
Wow! takes me back to metal shop class in High School. DH
Jeroen
great score!!!
Mueller
wow...very nice.....might be nicer than my lathe...at least there is plenty of support for the Southbend lathes......I might have an extra thread gear box in case your's is in need of repair or parts...
dmenche914
Good lathe! Sad that it is likely an indication of the end of a shop program at another school. That happened years ago around here. Too bad so many high schools have given up on teaching valuable trade skills.
bd1308
my next door neighboor has a atlas lathe...from the war. I want that thing SOOOO bad!
pete-stevers
that is one sweet find smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif treat it nice and it will be yours for life!
Would love to have one of those in the shop!! biggrin.gif
Gint
NICE!
SteveSr
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 16 2005, 10:34 AM)
wow...very nice.....might be nicer than my lathe...at least there is plenty of support for the Southbend lathes......I might have an extra thread gear box in case your's is in need of repair or parts...

Mike,
I'll keep you in mind when I get the gear box apart.
It has a three phase motor so I need to change that out,and the head stock bearings are shot plus the leather flat belt is missing so I have some work to do before she runs.................can't lose sight of the 914 project too!

SteveSr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.