Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical problem help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
Hello "Brain trust"

Thinking this is an Ignition Switch Issue (but not like I have experienced before)
I really did search here and in the www.

In a nutshell

73 1.7 ... runs starts and runs fine.

When I put the key in and turn to "ON" I have a dead dash.
No radio, blinker, or even the Gen light that used to come one .

I crank and the engine fires up just fine.
But a dead dash and accessories as above including no tach. (no gen light on)

As soon as I hit the gas or turn something on (blinkers / headlights) the dash then operates as it should . but gen light now on.

12.6 battery voltage and 14.2 when running .

Headlight and hazzards work always (maybe they get power from a more direct source)

I could see the switch being bad and not getting power to the dash . but why when I rev or turn something on would it then "make all work ?"

interesting and I keep second guessing the alt / and voltage reg are are fault ... but voltage seems good ... believe that is due to what ever issue I have. It is dim at idle and gas . with blink switch on the blinkers dont work and the Gen light become brighter / blinks when the blinkers should be on.

any thoughts ?

Spoke
Sounds like a loose or oxidized connection. Hitting the gas or turning something on is a sign of a flaky connection.

Inspect wiring below the dash.

Clean all your fuses and fuse contacts.
steuspeed
Spin all your fuses. Check your grounds. Sounds like one is acting like resistance. Once it sees enough voltage circuits start working.
JeffBowlsby
I would also burnish the chassis ground by the fuse block/
Wyvern
Thank you Thank you .

You helped me "see the trees not just the forest"
It is hard not to be focused on an effected part and not the cause.

Everything is as it should be piratenanner.gif

I wish I knew what actually "fixed it" but here is what I did.
worked on it last night and most of today .

Removed all fuses and relays cleaned contact points (small wire brush on my dremmel or wet / dry sand paper .

Cleaned each fuse (replaced a couple)

Check physical contacts at fuse spade connections

Found a ground location diagram and addressed ALL . Headlights, fuse area, relay area , engine / trans / body ... I think I got them all.

Gotta say ... I think it actually runs better !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.