Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 19mm Brake Master Cylinder Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Good Morning. I am in the process of rebuilding my 914 and need to upgrade my master cylinder to go with my boxster brake upgrade. I know people recommend the ATE brand but was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about URO, Auto Atlanta, or Bavarian Auto Parts brands. I am in deep with the $ and don't want to buy something inferior but was hoping to save a little money for a competent part. Any feedback is appreciated. Brett
914bub
QUOTE(Gearup @ Jan 4 2016, 07:36 AM) *

Good Morning. I am in the process of rebuilding my 914 and need to upgrade my master cylinder to go with my boxster brake upgrade. I know people recommend the ATE brand but was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about URO, Auto Atlanta, or Bavarian Auto Parts brands. I am in deep with the $ and don't want to buy something inferior but was hoping to save a little money for a competent part. Any feedback is appreciated. Brett

Brett
Since all of Marks, ("Mikeys"), parts have been great I'd go here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=267498

Especially if he adds threaded fittings to the reservoir holes.

I would avoid URO and I'd avoid AA at any cost. There is very little you can't get somewhere else.
shoguneagle
I have used ATE or BMW parts in the past and have not used Auto Alanta; I have used URO and had problems with them (mine did not last and were cheap price wise; so use as guide). try to match the master cylinder size with the Boxer Brakes and use equivalent type. I usually stay with European manufacturers and our own independent suppliers.

I think 914rubber has a development project in manufacturing the 19mm master cylinder equivalent to the ATE type. Check with Mark at www.914rubber.com via an inquiry.

Good luck!
Dave_Darling
I'm pretty sure that AA and BavAuto don't have their own brand of master cylinder. They are retailers, much like Pelican or GPR, and if they have their own brand it is probably some other brand but made for them. If I had to guess (and it really is a guess!) I'd say they were URO parts.

Brakes aren't anything to mess with. Get the ATE parts, or talk to Mikey. I'd trust him about fifty years before I'd trust AA.

--DD
914bub
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Jan 4 2016, 07:55 AM) *

I think 914rubber has a development project in manufacturing the 19mm master cylinder equivalent to the ATE type. Check with Mark at www.914rubber.com via an inquiry.

Good luck!

Or just click on the link I provided above! beerchug.gif
914bub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 4 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Brakes aren't anything to mess with. Get the ATE parts, or talk to Mikey. I'd trust him about fifty years before I'd trust AA.

--DD

agree.gif
Gearup
Thanks Guys. I would love one of Mark's but it seems with his production and the fact that I am tail end Charlie on the extensive list it may be a timeliness issue for me. I may just bite the bullet on the ATE if Marks aren't available but am curious about a BMW or maybe Mercedes part that would work that is reasonably priced? Cheers
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gearup @ Jan 4 2016, 09:17 AM) *

Thanks Guys. I would love one of Mark's but it seems with his production and the fact that I am tail end Charlie on the extensive list it may be a timeliness issue for me. I may just bite the bullet on the ATE if Marks aren't available but am curious about a BMW or maybe Mercedes part that would work that is reasonably priced? Cheers

I have a 23MM Mercedes master cylinder on my /6. You will get a different pedal feeling for sure. I don't think it was the right choice for my setup (previous owner installed it) but it works for my leisure drives.

My brake setup (from the previous owner):

Porsche 911E front struts were installed in order to handle Porsche 911S "A" calipers.

New vented front and rear 911 brake rotors. All metal brake lines and rubber hoses were replaced.

The rear brake calipers are rebuilt and come from a Porsche 911S. Factory spacer shims added to the rear "M" calipers to accommodate the vented rotors.

A machined spacer was added to the inside of the new rotors to align the rotor centerline to the caliper centerline.

The parking brake system is now the Porsche 911 type brake shoes within the brake rotor design.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.