Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plumbing diagram or description for Peterson Oil Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Catorse
Hi guys,

Lots of info on a peterson type oil tank for my /6 conversion on the forum, but I can't seem to locate anything on how to plumb it. Is it basically the same plumbing runs as the fender mounted tanks - except the tank is physically located up in the front trunk?

Any advice appreciated!
Mark Henry
You will need an oil filter in the feed line and you should go one size bigger for the return line for a front mounted tank (from AN-16 (1") to AN-20 (1 1/4"), IIRC).

If it's a street car the money you save on the tank you will burn up in hose/plumbing cost.
dflesburg
Line IN - second highest is in from filter

Line in from engine should go to therm to filter , then to motor (and to cooler and back)

Line OUT - lowest is out back to motor, highest is to catch can/breather

Others can be capped off.

catch cans, filters, thermostats, coolers, hoses, connectors, ends, caps and fittings are all very expensive parts...

Click to view attachment

Catorse
Thanks guys!

The car is a street car, and I already have the oil cooler. This is a fresh build, top of the line stuff, and have over 40K invested in the build alone. So this is not a cost saving measure, although I am very chagrined at the cost of the fender tank for what I am getting.

Anyone care to venture a cost comparison between the petersen and a fender tank???

How about from a pure performance standpoint?
76-914
Looks like the Petersen will kill your front trunk storage and/or be eye candy for a cars and coffee meet.
Catorse
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2016, 07:57 AM) *

Looks like the Petersen will kill your front trunk storage and/or be eye candy for a cars and coffee meet.

Cool with that - between the oil cooler, the louvered floor, and the fact that I moved the battery to the front trunk, that won't be much of a storage area anyways. This car is a boulevard cruiser, and I don't intend to carry much of anything. Have other cars to carry stuff in.

Mark Henry
Like I said any savings between the two tanks will be eaten up by hoses and fittings. Even if you did come in a couple of bills cheaper that pales compared to the $40k project price tag.
Performance wise the fender tank is more than adequate in a street car.

There's a guy here, with a recent thread, that is building his own tank which he is planning to sell. He was hoping for a price point below the Patrick tank.
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2016, 10:01 AM) *

catch cans, filters, thermostats, coolers, hoses, connectors, ends, caps and fittings are all very expensive parts...
Catorse
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2016, 10:19 AM) *

Like I said any savings between the two tanks will be eaten up by hoses and fittings. Even if you did come in a couple of bills cheaper that pales compared to the $40k project price tag.
Performance wise the fender tank is more than adequate in a street car.

There's a guy here, with a recent thread, that is building his own tank which he is planning to sell. He was hoping for a price point below the Patrick tank.
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2016, 10:01 AM) *

True, but there is another factor I forgot to mention....I welded on steel flares, then I did the Tangerine pick up points kit. I then faired the whole body and am ready for paint, and I am now just figuring out that the friggin oil tank lives in the fender. I don't think i can squeeze it in there with the tangerine kit (could be wrong tho), and I don't want to do major surgery to the engine bay which has already been painted.

Yes, I should have known better. I own 3 other porsches (not 914s) and honestly did not know the tank was sandwiched between the engine bulkhead and the fender or else i would have installed it when I had the fender apart for the flares.

So I am kinda trying to recover from an honest mistake :-)
Mark Henry
Ahhhh

With your location you might be able to borrow a tank from a member to see if it fits.
If it doesn't then the front tank is likely the only other option.
Mueller
Silly question:

Is the "peterson" tank an alternative to running an oil tank in the engine compartment?
Catorse
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 6 2016, 11:59 AM) *

Silly question:

Is the "peterson" tank an alternative to running an oil tank in the engine compartment?

Yes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.