Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Bar Side Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
houvins
Am a newbie, so not sure if this is the right place to get this question answered.

Have a '71 914-4 (MFG Oct '70) and am attempting to replace the roll bar side seals, the vertical seals at the back of the window. Ordered the replacement parts and while they fit, the profile is significantly different from those being replaced. The original has an "L" shaped void in the center which allowed the window to fit. The replacement parts have a small "o" shaped void with a much heaver rubber profile that prevents the window from seating when fully raised. Have been told the older parts were replaceable by this new part, but it hasn't worked for me yet. Several years ago an old catalogue listed both parts, but no longer.

Is there a source for the earlier profile seals?

If not, is there a lix to make this new profile accept the window in the fully raised position?
LowBridge
have you looked on the 914rubber.com website.. they have a ton of window seals and trim parts along with outstanding customer service and killer pricing.
houvins
Looked at 914rubber and they look pretty good. Seem a little more like the original I still have on the passenger side. Will give them a try for $32 they are worth a try. T
he part number referenced is the same I have bought and been unsuccessful getting to fit. There is even a note that says there is no difference between the old and new. I know that is not a valid assessment, although some might think they are the same. Both fit, but the resulting window fit is not the same.

Thanks. Will let you know how they do when they arrive.
shoguneagle
Buy them and never look back! 914rubber product is great stuff.
mepstein
To the op. I get what your saying. Porsche has updated a lot of parts and the don't always retrofit perfectly. Case in point are dashes. Happens on the 911 parts even more than 914. Frustrating.
Mikey914
Yes the early and late vertical targa seals are different. The early (up to 73 ish?) were made without a fold to catch water that could make it's way bast the point of contact. You can see this in the early PET drawing.
I made the later version as it was superseded with the version having the lip.

Also you will note that if the window is not touching when the door is closed, you don't have to move the seal, there is an adjustment on the bottom of the door that will adjust the window in. There is also adjustment in the widow scissor mechanism that can be use if necessary on the top too.

These seals actually sould take up about the same amount of room as the early, so shouldn't need a lot of adjustment.
Mikey914
Shoot some pics, there may be something else going on we can see too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.