Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in Gulf colours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Hi there

We are thinking of restoring a real 914/6 and finishing it in Gulf colours, rather like this, and would be interested in your views / advice:

Click to view attachment

Kate & Brian
motorvated
QUOTE(cal914 @ Jan 4 2016, 01:36 PM) *

Hi there

We are thinking of restoring a real 914/6 and finishing it in Gulf colours, rather like this, and would be interested in your views / advice:

Click to view attachment

Kate & Brian

I'm thinking of doing up my '72 Chalon racer in some variant of Gulf livery as well. Since my car already is orange or tangerine, I'm thinking of wrapping the blue sections so if I don't like it or if I tire of it, I can just pull it off and go back to the orange. Might have to use stick-on pinstripes if I go that route.
iwanta914-6
While I love Gulf livery, I personally would keep it whatever the stock color was/is unless it's going to be a track purposed car.

Obviously it's your car, do what you want with it. I just believe that real sixes should stay true to their originality. The idea of a wrap sounds interesting though.
EdwardBlume
I've owned a couple Oly Blues and I like it. It all comes down to what you want...
Cal
IMO, I like it if it's a track car.....but not for the street. Here's a photo of one.
Maltese Falcon
Love it
Do it !
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Cracker
Ay-ay-ay...here we go again! Do what you want - its just a car (4,6, 8, whatever). Its an iconic scheme that would be widely appreciated (street or track - makes no difference!) - probably much, much more than "stock". Enjoy.

PS: I'll probably do a Gulf-like scheme one-day but not the conventional...this McClaren F1 caught my eye a decade ago or so. I'm pretty sure this car is worth AT LEAST what a 914/6 would be (cough cough)! Like maybe 150+ times more and ridiculously more rare and coveted... poke.gif

Tony

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 4 2016, 04:15 PM) *

While I love Gulf livery, I personally would keep it whatever the stock color was/is unless it's going to be a track purposed car.

Obviously it's your car, do what you want with it. I just believe that real sixes should stay true to their originality. The idea of a wrap sounds interesting though.

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 4 2016, 04:53 PM) *

I've owned a couple Oly Blues and I like it. It all comes down to what you want...

I have toyed with the idea for a while myself.

something along these lines, Just a simple stripe.

Click to view attachment

probably won't ..... BUT if I got some spare trunk lids and roof.... maybe.
Cracker
Does anyone have details on this car? I'd like to see more...

Tony

Click to view attachment

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Jan 5 2016, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 4 2016, 04:53 PM) *

I have toyed with the idea for a while myself.

something along these lines, Just a simple stripe.

Click to view attachment

probably won't ..... BUT if I got some spare trunk lids and roof.... maybe.

I don't know what the current color of the car in question is, but if it's already Olympic Blue then adding something like the orange stripe would be much easier to change back if need be some day.
EdwardBlume
Joe Bob used to make decals. It might be possible to do the stripe in vinyl.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 5 2016, 09:26 AM) *

Does anyone have details on this car? I'd like to see more...

Tony

Click to view attachment

No details..

Just pulled the picture off of Google images.
thieuster
I love that combination. (In fact, when my youngest son was born, we sent our friends a birth announcement with his name etc in the Gulf color combination... to make sure that everybody knew it was a boy!).

Point is that the orange has a very important role. You can add too much orange, turning the car into a circus act. When you use the orange accent 'wisely', it will lift the blue! Off course, that's all imho!

To show you what I mean: Dutch car maker Donkervoort started its life as builder of Lotus models. He has evoluated into a high end car maker with a 270 hp Audi engine under the bonnet. In fact, Audi uses the Donkervoort for development! To give you an idea about the build quality.

All Donkervoorts have a 'bespoke' costume. This one has a very modest orange stripe. It emphasizes the blue color and it shows the Gulf literary: everybody knows: "Gulf!"

IPB Image

i wouldn't hesitate to turn a 914 in need of a respray into a Gulf car (mmmm, there's a candidate in my workshop now....).

mbseto
As a GT40 fan, love the Gulf livery. The wrap sounds like an awesome way to do it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.