Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR-15 Fail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowBridge
Anyone know how to fix this?

PO had it coated with POR-15 and it is now failing and I'm not sure why.

IPB Image
IPB Image

I emailed the manufacture and they suggested buying a new POR-15 kit WTF.gif and using aircraft grade stripper to remove old coating.

thanks in advance...
matthepcat
The PO probably did not do a good enough surface prep before coating....or the tank was not completely coated well enough.

Older tank coatings also were not designed for ethanol fuels....could be an old coating.
jd74914
No idea how to fix that besides hot tanking it or maybe knocking paint thinner around in it with some nails?

My experience with POR products have been lackluster at best, even with carefully prepped surfaces. If you are re-coating I would highly suggest using the epoxy kit by Caswell Plating. Myself and many others on the forum have used it and been very happy.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Edit: Just read their website, Caswell suggests removing failed POR coating using a paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride. Be careful because MEK is pretty nasty stuff.
aircooledtechguy
POR-15 is great stuff *if*:

- Prep is done EXACTLY like the directions say ani i mean to the "T".
- Absolutely no, and I mean NO water is left in the tank (seams are the culprit. (refer to #1)
- A complete coating is made with no bare spots.

I would consult the manufacturer about the issues you have.
ConeDodger
Bad prep... sad.gif
74ravenna
I have to ask, why coat the tank at all? I guess the obvious reason is to protect it against corrosion.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems i read about coating failure fairly regularly.
Thats not a knock against the manufacturers of the coating, i'm sure its poor prep but how can we really be sure we've prepped the tank 100%?
The seam that runs along the tank isn't visible after the baffle so how do you know its clean. Plus, the sock connection and the supply and return holes are another opening for fuel to get under the coating.
Why not just keep a full tank of fuel with treatment and run it from time to time?

Thanks
Steve
LowBridge
thanks for the ideas and comments and yes the fact that I have to use Methylene Chloride is the one thing that is worrying me.

I did not think about trying a hot tank, but I had thought about finding a plating company and seeing if they would dip the tank to clean it but not plate it.

replacement tank just seems to be to expensive an option ($600) without trying other options first.
mepstein
I would just place a wtb and see if theris someone in your area with an extra tank. Even shipping isn't that expensive. The tanks are pretty small and light and fit easily into a rectangular box.

If your talking about AA's replacement tank, it's not new, just a cheaply redone tank.
MJHanna
Check with a radiator repair shop I had my tank hot vat and cleaned by a local shop. They were very reasonable on the cost.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Jan 5 2016, 05:23 AM) *

Check with a radiator repair shop I had my tank hot vat and cleaned by a local shop. They were very reasonable on the cost.

I agree....check your local rad shop to see if they do that type of service. They did mine for $100-00 plus they guarantee it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.