Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Garage floor coverings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rtalich
Leaning towards an epoxy product. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Rob
Cairo94507
Do yourself a favor and consider a porcelain tile floor for your garage. Harder then cement and look terrific.
76-914
You'll find 2 types. One is about 40% more than the other. That's the one. If it is an old floor you might consider a pro application w/ a warranty against flaking/peeling or bubbling. A novice can handle a new homes floor but old ones are Hell to properly prep. That being said; get one. It's so nice cleaning up oil spills with a swipe of a rag. beerchug.gif FWIW, avoid parking on it if you just came off the hi way in summer temps. If you do, the epoxy paint tends to stick to the tire if not prepped correctly. beerchug.gif
quadracerx
I thought about porcelain tile floor but I have a 5000 Lb. rated forklift I'm not sure if its too much weight for floor tile? Since its rated at 5000 not sure what the actual weight of the forklift is...

Thanks,

Steve
siverson
I still just prefer a clean concrete garage floor.

-Steve
76-914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 4 2016, 03:55 PM) *

I still just prefer a clean concrete garage floor.

-Steve

As nice as your ride is, I would think that bare concrete would be too dusty for you?
Elliot Cannon
I have used this stuff on two garage floors. Once it's cured, it does not react with the rubber in your tires. Prepping it properly and letting it cure long enough are the key. The prep. being most important. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tan+fl...ks&refType=
r_towle
Rubber floor tiles
Bartlett 914
I used a rustoelum product I got from Menards. I used the solvent based product not the water based stuff. I used the light grey and skipped the plastic flakes. It is an epoxy mix and it was a bit expensive but it did hold up well. I am due for a recoat but it received hard use and lasted several years. Easier to clean than concrete surface. The biggest improvement was light. It was incredible how much brighter the shop became after painting
bulitt
agree.gif Used the rustoleum product from HD. It is a two part epoxy.
Have used it on two floors now and very pleased. It is bright, durable, easy to clean,
and does not lift onto the tires. And it is affordable.
Proper prep is a must or you will be left with a mess. Follow the directions to the letter. The prep will take two long days of scrubbing, degreasing, scrubbing, rinsing drying, etc. The application goes quick.
The epoxy must be catalyzed properly (the correct time for the temperature). IF not done correctly it will never fully cure and again- a mess.
The color batches vary slightly. Rustoleum advises to mix several gallons in a 5 gal bucket then refill original containers prior to adding catalyst. I mixed enough to set aside a spare gallon for future touch ups.

Click to view attachment
Briby37
+1 for the tiles. The guys and women at Race Deck have always been good. Not to mention, you can have more flexibility with the design. And if a tile or two go to pot, you just replace them.

http://www.motoroso.com/racedeck
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(rtalich @ Jan 4 2016, 02:56 PM) *

Leaning towards an epoxy product. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Rob

My .02, Have had several different types over the years.

Straight epoxy single color gloss finish is my favorite.

Reasons: Looks great, easy to keep clean and brooms up the best. Downside when wet can be slippery.

The multicolor flakes look great BUT small parts when dropped onto the floor will disappear into the floor.

A highly textured floor is great for traction BUT is more tedious to keep clean.

In my new garage I am considering no coating but having the concrete polished!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Briby37 @ Jan 5 2016, 08:10 AM) *

+1 for the tiles. The guys and women at Race Deck have always been good. Not to mention, you can have more flexibility with the design. And if a tile or two go to pot, you just replace them.

Race Deck tiles look great and last awhile if you don't do any work in your garage. They get scratched and cut and hold on to the dirt. After a few years (five in my case) they looked like crap and are on the floor of my hangar now. IMHO they are great for a show room but not so great for a working garage.
rtalich
Thanks guys!!
krazykonrad
The Behr garage floor paint from Home Depot sucks. I wish I had spent the extra couple of bucks on the epoxy stuff.

Konrad
iankarr
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 5 2016, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Briby37 @ Jan 5 2016, 08:10 AM) *

Race Deck tiles look great and last awhile if you don't do any work in your garage. They get scratched and cut and hold on to the dirt. After a few years (five in my case) they looked like crap and are on the floor of my hangar now. IMHO they are great for a show room but not so great for a working garage.

I've had race deck for 5 years now as well. Pros: inexpensive, lots of color / design choices, does not chip, peel or melt. Cons: difficult to keep clean, a little noisy as you walk on them.

It's possible to get them close to new-looking using a degreaser and spending a day mopping and squeegeeing. Not too terrible, but next time I think I'll opt for epoxy.

Our "friends" at POR 15 also have a solution called "floor armor". Seems their stuff bonds hard to concrete. At least harder than it does to metal wink.gif.
http://www.por15.com/Floor-Armor-Concrete-Coating_c_13.html

r_towle
If I can recall correctly, race deck is a plastic tile, with holes in it to allow dirt to go below. Not something I would use.

When I say rubber floor tiles, think commercial tiles like what you see on stairs at large office buildings.

It comes in tiles or 12 foot wide rolls, as long as you need.
It weighs a ton.
It can take your forklift weight.
It is a lot easier to install than paint.

quadracerx
I think this would work great... But anybody got a link on where to buy it and how much it costs?

Thanks,

Steve
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 5 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Looks like it would be a pain to clean and make the room dark.
r_towle
There are many other colors....that was just one
9fourteen14
i have a 2 car cement garage. I stripped painted (walls and floor) with the proper paint and...

have always had antique automobiles and learned early that keeping the floor covered with tarp prevents rust. it has worked over 30 years. try it ....

914 luva
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.