Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixed hardtop options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I'd like to do a steel/fixed hardtop on one of my cars. Probably the Subaru conversion. It's been done before so I know time and money will get me one. I'm wondering if I can go a slightly different angle on the mod.

Weld in steel stiffeners front to back.
Lay a slightly modified oem targa top over the stiffeners.
Leave enough room at the front to bond the lip of the targa top into the window frame channel and bolt and bond the top and the steel stiffeners together.

Thoughts?

(I just gave Pat Garvey a migraine)
EdwardBlume
I thought about using the top as a template but strength would be more important... Good luck! Can't wait to see your progress!
JmuRiz
Maybe do a GT style bolt in top. Check Armondo's site for details.

It'll mean some a-pillar stiffening, welding in some bolt-in attachment points, and cross bracing the top.

This way if for some reason you want to take the top off you just have to unbolt it.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2016, 06:00 AM) *

I'd like to do a steel/fixed hardtop on one of my cars. Probably the Subaru conversion. It's been done before so I know time and money will get me one. I'm wondering if I can go a slightly different angle on the mod.

Weld in steel stiffeners front to back.
Lay a slightly modified oem targa top over the stiffeners.
Leave enough room at the front to bond the lip of the targa top into the window frame channel and bolt and bond the top and the steel stiffeners together.

Thoughts?

(I just gave Pat Garvey a migraine)

The rear trunk lid is very similar in shape and size. It could cover the ribs you make with an old trunk skin? idea.gif
914forme
Racer Chris / Tangerine

Patrick

Auto-Atlanta

Root Werks

Or my feeble attempt yet to be proven except that a 944 top A-Pillar and a 914 A-pilar are both made from 18a sheet metal. And the curve for the front of the 944 top fits the 914 windshield very nicely.

I will be using 16a sheet metal to make the internal ribbing, as it is what I have on hand. And I might be re-enforcing the windshield pillars with 16 ga. also. But after seeing the 944 a-pilars I am thinking that is overkill! Now if I can see the inside of a 914 A-pilar I could verify that it is strong enough to do the job requested.

Anybody want to donate a windshield frame to the cause? I have tried to pay a guy for the frame, and never heard back. Just need one side from the top to the cowl, so I can put it through a bandsaw and see what the sections look like.

BTW, I tried a bolt down top, and never got past the mockup, figuring if I was going to all that work to bond the thing around a steel frame, I might as well add a steel skin and weld the entire thing together.
dflesburg
Years ago someone cut a top off a 924 and then cut and welded it in on top of the 914....

That's the only one I remember.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2016, 02:09 PM) *

Years ago someone cut a top off a 924 and then cut and welded it in on top of the 914....

That's the only one I remember.

IIRC that was George Root of ROOTWERKS.
Not only did he graft on a 944 roof he used one that had the tilt / remove sunroof included.
The car has moved from owner to owner a few times, I think TC has owned it twice.
Blue metallic 6 GT conversion.
Beautiful car.
Someone better than me can find the thread.
mepstein
I know what's been done and who's done it. I was wondering about the feasibility of what I posted. Thanks
r_towle
Front to back bracing at both sides above the windows, and an X brace of some sort should do the trick.
You may want to mechanically fasten (along with adhesive) the final roof section to the car to help prevent future cracking from movement.
SirAndy
Thoughts?

If you want a steel roof, do it right!

Bonding in a fiberglass roof would make you a future DAPO ...
biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2016, 07:18 PM) *

Thoughts?

If you want a steel roof, do it right!

Bonding in a fiberglass roof would make you a future DAPO ...
biggrin.gif

If that's the case I won't. I was just wondering if this could be done more reasonably priced without going ghetto.
r_towle
Don't be a DAPO
Cairo94507
I have to agree with Andy on this Mark. Go steel or don't do it. I have always liked the steel roof on the Car TC has owned twice.
rgalla9146
OK Mark, now I've got you
I've had the same thought.
Why re-invent the wheel ?
This is how I imagine it.
Eliminate the front roof seal. Move the roof forward to close the gap.
Do metal work to create a 1" or 2" wide horizontal metal to fiberglass contact across the front and rear of the roof. Eliminate all latches.
Glue the original roof on. IT WILL become part of the structure. Run a 1/4 " bead of black silicone to seal the front. Of course there are more details. The roof can remain black or be painted body color.
Many modern cars have glued on panels.
The rear quarters on a Suburban are glued on, I'm sure there are many others.
Why not ?
With all due respect to Andy and Rich and Cairo.
Cairo94507
rgalla9146 - No problem or offense taken. I just like the idea of all steel, welded and finished. Scotty could handle that with no problem I am quite sure.
carr914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 5 2016, 10:23 AM) *

Maybe do a GT style bolt in top. Check Armondo's site for details.

It'll mean some a-pillar stiffening, welding in some bolt-in attachment points, and cross bracing the top.

This way if for some reason you want to take the top off you just have to unbolt it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 5 2016, 11:17 PM) *

rgalla9146 - No problem or offense taken. I just like the idea of all steel, welded and finished. Scotty could handle that with no problem I am quite sure.

agree.gif
This is my suby conversion car (already cut up by the PO). Scotty's (exceptional) work cost $. I'm trying to keep it low budget. The idea is to have heat and a/c so a fixed roof is the plan.
Cairo94507
Ahhhh, AC. I would love to have AC in my car.
rick 918-S
No reason why you can't do it. Corvettes are bonded to a sheet metal sub structure. My flares are bonded on to my fenders and have been since 1992 with no issues. Watch a couple videos on bonding fibre glas to steel and go for it. Everyone always thinks my flares are steel. In the early years I didn't have the internet and wasn't aware you could get factory parts from the dealer. Up here no one was driving or working on Porsches. The only connection to the Porsche world was Excellence Magazine ads. Tweeks, Doc & Cy's, Brad Mayeur... Who else.. idea.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2016, 06:08 AM) *

The only connection to the Porsche world was Excellence Magazine ads. Tweeks, Doc & Cy's, Brad Mayeur... Who else.. idea.gif

The clinic down south?

I have an old PP catalog from the early 80's.. Thank God and Andy for the interweb!
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2016, 04:00 AM) *

agree.gif
This is my suby conversion car (already cut up by the PO). Scotty's (exceptional) work cost $. I'm trying to keep it low budget. The idea is to have heat and a/c so a fixed roof is the plan.

What? You want to add a metal roof because you plan on having Heat/AC? confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 6 2016, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2016, 04:00 AM) *

agree.gif

What? You want to add a metal roof because you plan on having Heat/AC? confused24.gif

I want a fixed/metal roof for stiffness and quiet and because I want it. The a/c just makes it more comfortable especially without a removable targa.
Mike Bellis
I've been thinking about doing this too. I think I have the skill set to pull it off but... I'm not sure 100% my tub is straight and I won't do it until I'm absolutely sure... sad.gif

The 944 roof is the way to go for sure. Compound curves already done for you.

But then again, I have taken my top off to gain more access in the cabin while working. Very convenient, although it's about the only time the roof comes off.
bigkensteele
I am not sure that I would want a 914 if I could not easily install/uninstall the roof. That is probably the one feature that drew me to this car way back when I was a teenager in the '80s. If I had the time/space/money for several cars, I might experiment with one under this line of thinking, but to me, the perfect solution has already been fully documented by the previously mentioned Dan Roots threat. No need to worry about stress cracks or anything else. I don't doubt that modern bonding is effective, but in this application, I feel that it would be an experiment at best.

But, hey - go for it, we are all here to learn! beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
With modern bonding, I'd be worried about tearing the windshield frame. The 914 is none too strong in that area. Hopefully the steel top would flex a bit more.

--DD
partwerks
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2016, 06:08 AM) *

No reason why you can't do it. Corvettes are bonded to a sheet metal sub structure. My flares are bonded on to my fenders and have been since 1992 with no issues. Watch a couple videos on bonding fibre glas to steel and go for it. Everyone always thinks my flares are steel. In the early years I didn't have the internet and wasn't aware you could get factory parts from the dealer. Up here no one was driving or working on Porsches. The only connection to the Porsche world was Excellence Magazine ads. Tweeks, Doc & Cy's, Brad Mayeur... Who else.. idea.gif

Partwerks of Chicago!
partwerks
Is anyone making a kit to do a hardtop?

I never take the top off, and might stiffen it up, and hopefully solve some water leaks!
Rand
Reminds me of a way old thread where Miles and I talked about welding doors shut to stiffen.

The april fools who think you can stiffen with a roof without welding?...

If it isn't tied in rigid with engineered design and welding...

Are we still talking about roofs? I think this topic has strayed from what meptsein asked. Ask Dan Root.
914Sixer
Dr 914 did a pictorial on how to do steel roof maybe 10 years ago. Perhaps he can re-post it.
rgalla9146
It's still a valid subject.
Our favorite car.....watertight, squeak free and ...heaven forbid ! cool in summer !
I'm in. What's new ?
Shivers
The top goes back on when I park it. But I live in a warm climate.
Rand
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 5 2021, 04:00 AM) *

Dr 914 did a pictorial on how to do steel roof maybe 10 years ago. Perhaps he can re-post it.

Or you can Google search for Dan Root's steel roof and avoid the "dr." We all want that. May not work on the internal search engine here (which should suck less).
Rand
I'll take Dan's version any time: THE Classic:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=76305&st=0
partwerks

Seems like Tangerine Racing was looking into doing a hard top kit this summer cuz there was enough interest?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 6 2021, 06:26 PM) *

Or you can Google search for Dan Root's steel roof and avoid the "dr." We all want that. May not work on the internal search engine here (which should suck less).

correct on all three counts
CBee
Interested to see this topic resurface!

I've studied the Rootwerks thread many times but was put off with the idea of cutting the targa bar to accomadate the back section of the 944 sunroof section. I;d like an all steel, weld in option and if it did have any sunroof, a small section, like a 928, that fits without targa bar cutting.

I've gone as far as cutting the top section out of a 924.
It has a fiberglass sunroof section that I thought a steel panel could be welded in to replace it. Some fab time with an English wheel would probably be in order for that to work.

I've also cut a plywood template of the curve of the 914 roof line shape front to back and across that I take with me to the scrap yard hoping to find a similar roof shape in another car or truck top or trunk panel. No luck so far, though thinking the correct curve may be in a single cab full size truck or van.

I'd like to fabricate a more rigid, quieter, and leak free option.
Rand
One thing is clear. If you have the skills, you can do it. If you don't, your comments may lead to nowhere. It is doable.
Cairo94507
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 5 2016, 09:17 PM) *

OK, this is an old post and much transpired after that. I no longer recommend Scotty for working on anything. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.